• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 289 4 spd locking diff GT/CS For sale in OR

heliaster

I've decided to go back to school and need to either sell my GT/CS project or haul it down to TX with me. I could go either way so I'm pretty firm on the price, its just a logistical nightmare to get it down there now. Here's the details:

1968 GT/CS factory 289 wide-ratio 4 spd. It was converted to a 3 spd auto at the dealership and has lived that way since. It was recovered from a farm where it had been used a learning car. Someone backed into something, kinking the bumper and rear panel and ran into a fence post or tree (the background I got) on the front end tweaking the front bumper, grille, etc. At this point the car was totaled by the insurance company, for what I can only imagine was a paltry amount of $$ when they did this, rather than repairing the front and back bumpers. There's absolutely no cancerous rust on the car except that little spot on the fender walls all mustangs seem to get and the only surface rust to speak of is on the driver side floorboards (see my gallery for a bunch of photos). Original chalk on the passenger floorboards. Quarters and fenders need some work (getting done now), roof and decklid are good.

I bought it for $8500 2 years (Probably too much, but didn't do a lot of research and was really eager to start). Since then I pulled the motor (shot) and rebuilt a 1972 302 with an RV cam, edelbrock intake and carb, and have a DUI HEI distributor for it (DUI is extra). The motor will be done in a few weeks and is included in the price. I have totally stripped the car and it is in a friend's shop now getting prepped for paint (for which I've put $2000 down). I saw a complete breakdown of options somewhere and I believe its one of only a couple GT/CS's that came with the 289, 4 spd, and locking differential. Here's a list of what I've got that will come with the car:
-New chrome headers
-4 new steel wheels with some solid, but needing recovery to be perfect, GT hubcaps
-Just rebuilt 1972 302 RV-cam motor ($1300 + $250 for intake and carb)
-Original C4 (basically just the core, it hasn't been run in years) if wanted
-All the interior/accessory body components I took off before it went to the paint shop (in labeled boxes and bags)
-I know I've got more stuff for it in boxes but I can't remember what

The distributor and a date-correct 4 spd wide-ratio transmission I bought can go with the car with a little persuasion. The rebuilt 4 spd came out of AC/Shelby kit car and has a little over 10,000 miles on it (looks brand spanking new though) and DUI HEI distributor was tough to find used and just needs new weights for correct timing in the 302.

So I figure with the head start on the body prep, motor, wheels and headers I'm basically asking about $4500 for the car and I'm in it way more. I'm going back to college and to move it to TX I would have to spend an additional $2500 for a hauler and freight for no real gain in the restoration process...plus I could really use the tuition money.

If interested email me or call me at 503-381-9776. Please only serious inquiries though, since its at the paint shop its a bit of a hassle to arrange a viewing.

This is an old picture before I stripped it down to just the body.
vbpgimage.php

Here's the Marti report:
vbpgimage.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
heliaster

heliaster

Yeah, I had some really fun ideas on how to paint it. Unfortunately I won't have any $$ to work on it while I'm in school so it would essentially have to sit in limbo for 4 years after the paint job.