• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Courtesy lights under the dash

murf104

Once again, HELP! Would some or all of you look under your dash and see if there are courtesy lamps? The Osborn Factory Assembly Manual shows them listed for "all models EXCEPT with air conditioning". Of late I have seen some very well preserved survivor cars with no lights under the dash, both coupes and fastbacks and one Shelby. One theory is that cars with a console did not have the underdash lights. My own CS has factory AC and did not/does not have the lights under the dash and shows no evidence or footprint of them ever being there, which fits the mold according to the FAM. Other cars without them have had no console, no AC and obviously are confusing. So how about looking at your pride and joy and telling us 1) if you have the lights, one on the left and one on the right; 2)factory air?; 3)Console?; 4)Scheduled build date. Thanks in advance for your help! Any comment or observation you can add to this discussion will be appreciated.

CougarCJ

The Courtesy Light Group option.

Included: underhood, luggage compartment, glove box, plus under dash courtesy lights (hardtops) and a glove box lock.

Information taken from the Mustang Recognition Guide.

karolscali

my gt/cs came with factory air and console, there is no courtesy lights either, i found this odd too, as i had a 66 mustang with no air or console and it had courtesy lights, i installed some in my gt/cs the wiring is there, i believe it was a black blue color wire, with a red coloured socket on the end, they are on the left and right side and they are hooked with the dome light wiring that goes to the dome switch in the door jamb, i found some lights off some old ford, mounted to metal of dash to give you a ground, mine are mounted so you cannot them, looks good, my build date is feb 18/1968 good luck

OP
OP
M

murf104

The issue here is just with the courtesy lights under the dash, not the entire courtesy light group. Trying to get a handle on just how the lights were used - or not used on the 68 Mustangs. The underdash lights seem to have little pattern, but with enough feedback we may well figure out just who got the lights and why. And yes, the wire for the lights can be found in all cars, but it seems the lights are not always present. So any help or observation is appreciated. Does your car have these underdash lights? Does it have AC? Does it have a console? Build date? Thanks!

franklinair

I can think of no pattern for these lights. I've had between 12 - 15 Mustangs, all '67 & '68's. Some have had them, some not, with varying options. The wiring pigtail is on all wiring harnesses. My C/S has one on the passenger side as does my convertible. I had a '68 coupe with the Courtesy Light Group option, and it had courtesy lights on BOTH sides.:undecided

Neil

nfrntau

My car was non A/C, only option was 289, auto, P/S and heavy duty suspension, no under dash lighting installed.