• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Well, I just bought the "7 million in gold and 1 GT/CS" car

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Steve, They drove this car all the time,it should run good.? How many miles are on it? What dealership did they get it from? Your marti should show you this info.
Keep the stories comming.

Nate

Thanks, Nate. I just ordered the deluxe Marti which I think will mention the dealer. As I recall it was in California. The odo shows 44k. Have no idea if that means 144k? Also don't know if they repainted it.

Would be great if you could recall whatever conversation you had with them so I could have that for my records. Your info on the hood scoop was invaluable. Did they mention the active brake ducts or anything else?

Whatever you know about the car would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Nate

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Steve, thanks for posting your progress on this great car. I think some of us are enjoying unraveling the mysteries almost as much as you are!

Based on the number of modifications I would guess the owner had a good relationship with his dealer. Those don't look like modifications he would have done all at once and maybe he stayed with the same dealership over the years. I would try to track that dealership down (not necessarily where he bought the car) and see if you can find anyone who remembers it. Maybe there's still an old timer mechanic or service manager who can help you with some of the history.

nates68

STEVE, I MOVED HERE IN 76 HAVE SEEN THIS CAR ALL THE TIME,I WILL CHECK WITH SOME LOCAL SHOPS(ECT) TO SEE IF THEY EVER WORKED ON THIS CAR. i DONT THINK IT WAS PAINTED IT ALWAYS LOOKED THE SAME. THE GUY THAT DROVE IT WASENT THAT FRIENDLY DIDNT LIKE TO TALK VERY LONG ABOUT ANYTHING. JUST GLAD HE TOLD ME WHAT HE DID.

NATE

OP
OP
F

Forsche

STEVE, I MOVED HERE IN 76 HAVE SEEN THIS CAR ALL THE TIME,I WILL CHECK WITH SOME LOCAL SHOPS(ECT) TO SEE IF THEY EVER WORKED ON THIS CAR. i DONT THINK IT WAS PAINTED IT ALWAYS LOOKED THE SAME. THE GUY THAT DROVE IT WASENT THAT FRIENDLY DIDNT LIKE TO TALK VERY LONG ABOUT ANYTHING. JUST GLAD HE TOLD ME WHAT HE DID.

NATE

Thanks Nate. I thought I'd check the Ford dealership also. That's where the car was parked for a few months though before it was sold. I talked to the service guy once while I was thinking of bidding on it and he never mentioned that they had ever serviced the car in the past.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Steve, thanks for posting your progress on this great car. I think some of us are enjoying unraveling the mysteries almost as much as you are!

Based on the number of modifications I would guess the owner had a good relationship with his dealer. Those don't look like modifications he would have done all at once and maybe he stayed with the same dealership over the years. I would try to track that dealership down (not necessarily where he bought the car) and see if you can find anyone who remembers it. Maybe there's still an old timer mechanic or service manager who can help you with some of the history.

I hope its as entertaining for you as it is for me. :smile:

Deluxe Marti is ordered. I have a feeling the mods were made at the same time. They purchased the car in CA (I believe Pasadena where I suspect the mods were made) and then moved to Carson City where they lived for the next 40+ years. It must have been serviced somewhere in Carson City. Nate (Nates68) offered to see if he could find anything out in Carson City since he lives there.

franklinair

Ron:
A reminder of one of the low points in my life:eek:
But I am now THOROUGHLY checked out on the proper torqueing of tapered lugnuts.

Neil

Attachments

• cs before.JPG
    cs before.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 87
  • cs repair1.JPG
    cs repair1.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 85

68 special

Did you put out a "Road Worthiness Directive" Neil?? LOL, That was a sad day. But it's behind you now. On to bigger and better restorations.

Bret

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Well, not much to update on since my last post. The car still is in Illinois while my mechanic friend Paul is off on a snowmobile trip. Can't hold that against him...he deserves it. I hope to get him focused again next week to get the basic work done so we can get the car shipped down to Atlanta. I did order a new front seat upholstery set and foam from TMI. My thought i to have the drivers seat re-done but leave the others as is. I'll see if the shop can repair the original drivers upholstery but then leave it off the car and I'll just keep it with the car since I'm guessing it is probably more brittle due to age. My daughter who lives in Chicago stopped by to look at the car last weekend and said the back seat looks as if no one has ever sat in it. Also looking for all new weatherstripping. Would like to stay NOS product if I can but that gets quite expensive. I'm hoping that this car is clean enough that I can just keep it completely original. Its tough waiting all this time and not even be able to see in person!

One other question; do any of you use any product on the vinyl which actually can keep it from becoming more brittle? Does anything really work? Thanks

Steve

stangfan

I find Aerospace Protectant 303 to work very well at both protecting and revitalizing vinyl and plastic. It works on lots of other materials as well. :grin:

rvrtrash

I swear by 303, and use it on my white water raft to protect the material from sun damage. As for NOS weatherstrip, I'd just go with repop. NOS is still 45 year old rubber, and weatherstrip is one area the repops aren't bad.

Steve

Ruppstang

I swear by 303, and use it on my white water raft to protect the material from sun damage. As for NOS weatherstrip, I'd just go with repop. NOS is still 45 year old rubber, and weatherstrip is one area the repops aren't bad.

Steve

+1 Marty

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Thanks for thee info on the protectant and also the suggestion on the repop weatherstrip. Glad to spend a bit less money!

Looks like I'll be scheduling shipper next week to get the car down to Atlanta the 3rd week of March. Looking forward to finally seeing it can getting my hands on it.

Steve

OP
OP
F

Forsche

Scheduled shipping and Exhaust question

Scheduling shipping today. Decided to go with Reliable since they gave me a reasonable quote and have a good reputation. Will be scheduled for around the 15th of March since we we will be on vacation the first two weeks. Paul is doing much basic maintenance & repair during that time to get the car back to solid driver status.

One question...we are going to put new exhaust from manifold back. Still not sure if this one came with dual but i plan to put dual on. Any suggestions on where to purchase a good dual system and mufflers? What mufflers do you suggest? Stainless? My wife will be driving the car and the good news is she loves the sound of a V8. With that said, I want to keep the sound level reasonable.

Also, the car will need a new set of tires. I'll do a search but any suggestions on brand and size? Staying with stock wheels.

Thanks

stangfan

There were no 2 barrel V8s available from the factory with dual exhaust. I have a custom system made up by really good local shop. I went with 2 1/2" pipes, a Walker H pipe and Walker Super Turbo mufflers. They are really nice around town without the raspy tone that some have. You definitely know it's a V8 though and when you put your foot down, it sounds great.

As for tires, my car came factory with E70 x 14 tires. I am putting new tires on this Spring and will be getting BF Goodrich T/As in P205/70R14. This is the modern equivalent to the E70s.

OP
OP
F

Forsche

There were no 2 barrel V8s available from the factory with dual exhaust. I have a custom system made up by really good local shop. I went with 2 1/2" pipes, a Walker H pipe and Walker Super Turbo mufflers. They are really nice around town without the raspy tone that some have. You definitely know it's a V8 though and when you put your foot down, it sounds great.

As for tires, my car came factory with E70 x 14 tires. I am putting new tires on this Spring and will be getting BF Goodrich T/As in P205/70R14. This is the modern equivalent to the E70s.

Thanks for the info. Any others with thoughts on tires? The TA's seem like a reasonable choice. I may just go with them.

Steve

Mustanger

Thanks for the info. Any others with thoughts on tires? The TA's seem like a reasonable choice. I may just go with them.

Steve
BFG T/As are nice, some others have gone with Goodyears or Firestone or even Cooper Cobras ... with raised white lettering :thumb: ...