• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 X codes and Registration errors...

dalorzo_f

Was searching for X code owners, and found it odd you can't seach the registry by engine. So went to the C6, as it would be limted to S and X codes. Surprisingly a number of C codes note the C6, was not aware this was an option with the 289. :wink:

Are there any X code owners (or picture hoarders) who would happen to have a picture of the rear axle showing the vent and brake line mounting to the rear axle?

Mine has two separate mounts, the brake line near the inner seam of the housing/tube and the breather further outboard near the diameter reduction in the tube. About 12-16" apart.

Do not recall seeing this before as my other cars have the brake lines mounted at the same point as the breather. Do not think its a dual/single exhaust thing as IIRC the X was dual exhaust from the factory and the car has the correct factory reinforcements.

???

sportyworty

Richard, It depends when the car was built. Some time early in the 68 calendar year the second separate outboard hole for vent tube was incorporated. This has been discussed with relevance to GT 500 vs GT 500 KR as well as the early pre production CJ "135" series cars vs April 1 regular production. It is also of interest and note with the Cougar GTE cars early vs late.

Sometime around Feb 68 with overlap on dates we see 2 holes consistantly and the outboard will be plugged for an automatic. This is the location for the vent tube on a staggered shock 4 sp

so for a quick reference:

67-early 68 one hole
68.5 69 and 70 two hole. The only application where both are used is staggered shocks so for automatic outboard hole is plugged

Hope that helps

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I saw that reference in the FAM for the 427/428, but it does not match the car. Apparenty original rear, as an X code 2V 390 /w C6 and no staggered shocks. Correct OEM leafs, date of diff casting lines up, right tag, remnants of the paper tag, but it fell apart in attempting to remove and save, just too brittle. Correct clamp on breather hose, a detail someone years ago swapping it out would have been highly unlikely to hit. So IMO it would be odd for someone to have swapped it out and hit all those marks (but possible)

Anyone out there with a X code and shots of this detail for comparison? Posted this here as I thought I recalled a while ago some discussion about a X someone here had, hoping that resto may have some light to shed on this issue.

Last edited:

DeadStang

I'm getting ready to swap Mustangs at storage and am going to bring home my X CS for a trip to Canada. I'll take photos of my crusty rear axle and post them for you. It won't be pretty, but it's an unmolested, low-miler.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Was searching for X code owners, and found it odd you can't seach the registry by engine.
True. It's because the engine code is not it's own separate value, but just part of the overall VIN. There may be a way to code a search parameter to look at just the 5th digit in the VIN, but I don't know SQL well enough to code it. If anyone has SQL programming knowledge and is willing to help please let me know.

But, you can find all the X codes pretty easily by clicking the "Registry Master List" link at the top. This shows all cars in the online Registry sorted by VIN. So all the X codes will be grouped together near the bottom of the list.

Surprisingly a number of C codes note the C6, was not aware this was an option with the 289. :wink:
Also true. :smile: Unfortunately since it's up to each owner to enter their information correctly there will always be a certain amount of mistakes or misinformation.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

DeadStang, that would be appreciated very much. I did not take phots of the complete assembly during removal and am having a hard time getting the brake lines to fit, unsure what part I need as the parts I have based on a "390" are just not quite working out...

Maybe mismarked parts maybe just incorrect for this application if the X is different to the S code, which seems to be the case. Neither of my S codes has the two places, just the combined line mount/breather...

Last edited:

DeadStang

I hope these show what you want to see. It's kind of hard to get up in there for the camera to work with the flash to get the top down and front-to-back pictures. Anyway, the first set are my X-code CS, and the second are from my X-code Cougar. I posted the data plates for date reference if that matters. My CS is factory dual exhaust--the Cougar has dual exhaust with turned down tips but no valance cut outs. Let me know if you want me to try to get the top/front angles better...

To the right and "outside" the brake line junction is the vent tube (blurry and in the background):

The Cougar has the same configuration:

CougarCJ

What a coincidence Kim.
Saturday, I picked up a 1967 Cougar and it had a 1968 Cougar owners manual, with the VIN 8F93J538560 (19 cars away) and it was also built Feb 8 (08B) :cheesy:

Ruppstang

I looked at a 67 S code Mustang fastback Saturday that had the same vent and brake line arrangement.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Hmm.... so seems a "variable". Had a hard time with the brake line hose and clip, ended up drilling a hole to use the S code one I had, but it does not line up properly with the hole and lines for the clip. Wish I had a pic of the original, but tossed it as the shop cut the line when removing it for some reason... may have to just defer and figure out the right hose later...