• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Radio/Fuse question

mbsf1970

O.k. So when I drove my mustang in November to bring it home, all worked well. Now when I turn on my stereo system, I blow the fuse thus losing not only radio but turn indicators as well. I replaced fuse with new one (14 A) and all was good until the first time I turned on stereo whereupon it blew again immediately. Mechanic replaced fuse and same thing again......ideas?? I've taken faceplate off stereo to avoid temptation to turn on. I'd hate to spend money replacing a stereo if that's not the problem. How would I know for certain its the stereo drawing too much power? Why would it have worked in November but not now? Any other ideas before I start switching things up??

Also, any suggestions for a decent stereo system that doesn't throw the looks off 100%?? Period looking perhaps with modern functionality?.....cd and ipod plug in?

Thanks,
Stephen

CougarCJ

Pretty common wiring mistake.

The double blue plug connector to the radio is not a power and a ground. It is power for the radio and power for the radio lamp. Ground for factory radios were to the chassis, not a ground wire.

robert campbell

Not sure how new your current stereo is, but many new ones require a constant power wire to keep the programmed settings. Many times the installer uses a spade clip to a fuse on the factory fuse box. So if your stereo is plugged into your fuse box on the turn signal fuse, that may explain something.

Not sure what fuse you are replacing? Is it an inline fuse to the stereo or a fuse in the fuse box?

I just installed a retrosound radio in my brothers 1967 Fastback. Unit is very small and adjust to a factory face plate. They have cool stick on dial things that look like stock. Very nice sound and all the new iPod and other accessory hookups. I am going to put one in both my cars when funds allow. Nice stuff!!!!

Rob

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Rob,
Its the uppermost horizontal fuse in fuse box (14A).

@Cougar: are you suggesting that I have only 1 of what should 2 blue wires powering radio and that the second blue wire (which should also go to radio for power) is acting as ground and shorting system out?

Stephen

Thanks for retro radio website.....looks very cool and in lie with what I'm thinking...

CougarCJ

Rob,
Its the uppermost horizontal fuse in fuse box (14A).

@Cougar: are you suggesting that I have only 1 of what should 2 blue wires powering radio and that the second blue wire (which should also go to radio for power) is acting as ground and shorting system out?

Stephen

Thanks for retro radio website.....looks very cool and in lie with what I'm thinking...

Stephen, I was assuming that you had an after market stereo? that someone had tried wiring a negative lead to a powered lead. There is a double female blue plug for the stock radios on the under dash harness. Both leads are positive powered.
Do you have a stock stereo that worked prior?

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

No Scott. It is an aftermarket one. The thing is, blowing fuses is a recent occurrence as the radio worked fine prior to this recent episode of fuse popping.
I just am not mechanically/electrically inclined so paying for a repair on an ugly radio or one that just needs a wire plugged in properly irks me.

On anther note, are you the Cougar man that can hook me up with 2 rear reflector gaskets for my post feb 15th external reflectors. If so, please pm me cost details . Thanks much,
Stephen