• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Hood Pin Attach Method

Wild Willie

Paint is all done and now time to remount the hood pins.... any suggestion on how best to secure the hood pins onto the new paint or do's and don'ts in this re-attachment process? Thanks.... Dennis

dalorzo_f

Pins are held by a circlip on the underside. Loose fit, without it they lift right out. They don't really "attach". Believe the base should be a stick-on to the hood, but some repros are rivited.

Drill small hole in hood (if not there, not sure of diameter), larger hole in underside of hood for acess to clip and clearing the retainer brakets the pins clip to (think it was ~2" - 2 1/2" dia), base stuck on hood, spring on top of base (base of spring larger diameter than top), pin thru spring, base and hood, clip on underside of pin.

Mosesatm

Go to an auto parts store and purchase the thinnest and widest double-stick tape you can find. Cover the bottoms of the washers with the tape, trim around the edges, cut out for the holes, and stick them on. Make sure there is no wax on the paint.

rvrtrash

I glued my base washer on with adhesive silicone. I also went to the hardware store and found some large fender washers that would fit, and glued them to the under side or the hood, to make it harder for dishonest people to just pry up the top washer and walk off with the hood pins.

Steve

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Believe the base should be a stick-on to the hood, but some repros are rivited.
Yes, the original GT/CS & HCS were stuck on w/ adhesive tape. The rivet type is not correct for our cars. That's how the Shelby pins are secured, so any repro that has rivets is likely a Shelby version.

GT/CS S Code

Guess I need to do that! At the Torquemaster Car Show on Sunday there was a gent asking about the GT/CS specific parts, and when we got to the hood locks the one on the passenger's side popped right out! The glue had let go on the top washer from engine heat, and yes, there is nothing holding those suckers in except the glue on the top washers ...
:rolleyes:

Go to an auto parts store and purchase the thinnest and widest double-stick tape you can find. Cover the bottoms of the washers with the tape, trim around the edges, cut out for the holes, and stick them on. Make sure there is no wax on the paint.

OP
OP
W

Wild Willie

Thanks for the advise and suggestions.

I have purchased some good high quality 3M double sided tape, applied it to the bottom side lower washer and will mount the pin assembly. I will also have to find a C clip for one as it is missing.

Bummed that one pin top (visible to eye) surface has aging pits on it and will stand out while the other looks very clean...:undecided