• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Original GT/CS on Ebay

case12

I was just looking at this one. Looks nice to redo if the price does not get too high. Couple of things to note: GT hub caps, but no GT rear pipes/valance. Rear trunk mat is the fuzzy type, and notice where the trunk sticker is located? The cardboard covers for the tail lights inside the trunk are still there. The tail light chrome trim have the black paint edges, which is not correct. Looks like original hose clamps on the engine. A lot of chrome pitting (a good bit of which could be polished out). Too bad about those seats! Casey

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Casey, please excuse my ignorance but what does the "fuzzy type" trunk mat mean? Would that be original or aftermarket?

case12

Sorry for my technical lingo :-[ There has been some discussion on the forum of two types of trunk mats coming with the 68. One type is the vinyl checkered, and another is the "fuzzy" (i dont know the technical term) which is much like the bottom side of the vinyl trunk mat. I have always seen the vinyl checkerd (what mine has), and thought this one might be the fuzzy type. Others on the forum have this type and may wish to elaborate and clarify my use of the terms ??? Casey

68sunlitgold

The 2 types of trunk mats in question where, speckled and plaid. Usually the "fuzzy" look is a mat that is installed upside-down (not a definate though).

Doug

GTCSMustang

I've tried to get some confirmation that there were two types of trunk mats installed in 1968 Mustangs from the factory, but don't have anything super concrete...just my suspicions. What I do know is that there are two types of original trunk mats. One is the painted speckled type, and the other is a matted fabric type that looks similar to the back side of the speckled mat. And a third type that I forgot, the rubber mat. I've never seen a rubber mat in a 1968 Mustang that was factroy installed (maybe dealer installed), but I seem to remember that another member was sure his rubber mat was original and not dealer installed. I have a GT/CS with a Dallas DSO that has an original speckled mat (I'm sure it is original to the car). I have had other original owner 1968 Mustangs with the unpainted matted fabric mat. I've asked the original owners if they ever replaced the mats and they said no. I also have two 1968 Shelbys...one has a speckled mat and one the matted fabric mat. Both are original, unrestored cars. So I don't know what to make off all of this. I think that depending on supplier and where the car was made (San Jose, NJ, Dearborn) you might have gotten either of the two kinds of mats from the factory...and maybe a rubber one too. I think it's pretty hard to install a speckled mat upside down to get the "fuzzy" look. They are cut different on the sides to accomodate the tire hold down. The one in the picture for the car on e-bay is installed right-side-up.

Comments?

Scott

390cs68rcode

here is my .02 worth.

The pictures below are from my early 68 390 GT coupe from San Jose. vin is 8r01s103383. the mat is rubber, plaid and preformed. I don't know if it is original but can say the car is a original paint, exhaust and 90% of the other parts are original.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17