• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 hood hinge

Tequila

Hi, I need your help. I took apart the hood hinge and noticed an ugly hole where the hood hinge attaches to the inner apron. I still have the metal insert that goes into the hole.

I was wondering if is something that could be welded back without affecting the alignment of the hood or would it be better to replace the inner apron? If welding is possible, how do you make sure the hood alignment is still in tact afterwards? This panel is rust free as I stripped the paint to bare metal before priming (not yet fully sanded). Also, don't want to pay an arm and a leg to replace the apron section, unless I have no other options.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• hood hinge.jpg
    hood hinge.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 34

dalorzo_f

Just repair the spot well enough to replace the nut. Way easier/cheaper than replacing an apron that looks to be in OK shape.

The hinges are adjustable anyway, so even if you had a minor misalignment on reinstalling the nut its not a problem.

Have done it a number of times with no issues.

Ruppstang

Just repair the spot well enough to replace the nut. Way easier/cheaper than replacing an apron that looks to be in OK shape.

The hinges are adjustable anyway, so even if you had a minor misalignment on reinstalling the nut its not a problem.

Have done it a number of times with no issues.

+1 Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks guys. It will be tricky job since there is not much to hold the nut in place. The fender needs to be off so perhaps the nut could be welded on to a flat metal piece and attach it from the other side to the apron.

Ruppstang

Yes the fender would need to be off. I found a parts car and used a 1 1/2 hole saw to cut out the nut plate and then cut out the damaged area with a 1 3/8 hole saw. Then all you have to do is weld it in and dress the welds. Be sure to cover the car especially the glass when welding and grinding.
Marty

franklinair

It could be repaired: Cut a 2" square piece of steel that would cover the large hole. Drill a hole in the plate to accept the hood hinge bolt (5/16" IIRC). With a nut on the bolt you have a 2" doubler on the inside of the fender well.
Certainly not 'factory', but functional.

Neil