• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New toy

CougarCJ

1997 Mazda MX-5 Touring Edition, 5 speed, 114,000 adult driven miles. Flew to Yuma, Arizona Thursday, and drove it home, arriving last night. Fun car, 29 mpg.

sam

..............but she's not a Mustang..................
anyway, congratulations on the new wheels.

robert campbell

Scott,
They make a conversion kit to drop in a "fuely" 302 and AOD!! They replace the rear end with one from an RX7 to take the abuse!!

Rob "can't leave them alone" Campbell

OP
OP
CougarCJ

CougarCJ

Yep, I have seen those. Basically a modern day version of the 289 Cobra.

sportyworty

I built the first Monster Miata in 1991 for Monster Motorsports. The mule car was called 'Ol Blue' and the toughest part of the project was designing the engine mounts. JBA made the exhaust for us and we initially used RX7 rear ends and re broached the Miata axles and boxed the frame rails. It was a simple machine initially that evolved to a much better package after I left in 1993 with T Bird Independent Rear and dedicated custom brackets and mounts. The Mega Monster with added body kit was a college project for an apprentice with Hot Wheels. He drew the car and we had the molds made. Every magazine at the time did a splash on the car. Yes we pissed off the B.A.R and they would never certify the car. My friend Martin still provides the kits to this day and they make formidable track cars. We chewed up a lot of GT 350's Shelby's at Willow Springs in the early 90's. The cars were balanced 53/47 with the stock engine and 50/50 with the 302 and Aluminum Heads. Good times and memories as I was in my early 20's at the time.

http://drivingenthusiast.net/sec-mazda/monster-miata/

stangfan

I built the first Monster Miata in 1991 for Monster Motorsports. The mule car was called 'Ol Blue' and the toughest part of the project was designing the engine mounts. JBA made the exhaust for us and we initially used RX7 rear ends and re broached the Miata axles and boxed the frame rails. It was a simple machine initially that evolved to a much better package after I left in 1993 with T Bird Independent Rear and dedicated custom brackets and mounts. The Mega Monster with added body kit was a college project for an apprentice with Hot Wheels. He drew the car and we had the molds made. Every magazine at the time did a splash on the car. Yes we pissed off the B.A.R and they would never certify the car. My friend Martin still provides the kits to this day and they make formidable track cars. We chewed up a lot of GT 350's Shelby's at Willow Springs in the early 90's. The cars were balanced 53/47 with the stock engine and 50/50 with the 302 and Aluminum Heads. Good times and memories as I was in my early 20's at the time.

http://drivingenthusiast.net/sec-mazda/monster-miata/

Cool!! How many Monster Miatas were built? I remember one showed up at the local Mustang club's summer meeting years back. It drew a crowd! :grin:

sportyworty

During the 91-95 run in house Monster Motorsports approx 100.
We started selling kits to "dealers" in 93 and then to individuals later that year. It is hard to say how many independent but likely an additional 100 kits. Likely another 100 kits since 95 supplied by Martin. By early 90's standards they were a well balanced, formidable little machine with the bracing and brake upgrades. With the price of used 5.0 and Miata's you could easily build one for 10K

robert campbell

Wow!! I never saw one except in a magazine. May have to do one someday. Now to find a way to put side exhaust on one!! Sportyworty has a diverse background!!!

Rob

clubpro

I was at Willow Springs for the debut of the car and it was very impressive. Sporty isn't kidding when he says that they were beating the Cobra's and Mustangs that were racing with them. My cousin and I still talk about those cars. It's a shame that our wonderful state of California wouldn't allow the cars to be registered because they would have sold better than the Cobra's ever did.

Cheers,

Ron