• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

For Sale 1968 R-Code Coupe on E bay: Not a GT/CS but rare!!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Very cool car. Ultimate sleeper!

Interesting comment on the auction description:
As you can see in the photos on the drivers side fender where the vin is stamped it is missing the 5 digit this was very rare. This would happen sometimes on the “R” code and “S” code cars. This one should have had a R for a 428 but as you can see in the vin plate it is there so this is just another cool thing about this stang.

Any truth to that about R code cars sometimes having a blank 5th digit on the fender VIN stamp?

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Any truth to that about R code cars sometimes having a blank 5th digit on the fender VIN stamp?

I had a 1967 S-code fastback and the "S" Letter was missing in the stamping of the driver side fender apron. The seller says that its rare on S and R code Mustangs...it may be true

OP
OP
C

classicsguy

Jon: I apologize for posting a non GT/CS ad but I found it very interesting and rare given the fact that its a coupe just like our GT/CS Mustangs

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Damn, I hate when I learn things I already knew. I can't even blame it on age. :tongue: Here's a similar discussion on the R code stamps from 2009: http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7793

Jon: I apologize for posting a non GT/CS ad but I found it very interesting and rare given the fact that its a coupe just like our GT/CS Mustangs
No problem at all Luis. It's at least related. It's not like you posted a Pinto for sale or something.:grin:

390cs68rcode

It is rare that the r is missing but does happen. Scott Fuller could fill us in on the details of that as I'm sure he is more familiar with it than I am.

Can't say I remember S's being blank but I'm sure it's possible.

DeadStang

I can't comment on the missing S, but missing the R isn't uncommon on the fender stampings for the '68s.

sportyworty

The missing R is actually common. Most cars after May have them but many April and early May cars are blank on the aprons.