• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Polishing New Paint

cmacias24

Hi fellas, I say one of you guys' car posted and the paint looked superb!! Someone said they used 3M products. I will be buying the stuff needed to sand and polish my paint because next week we will finish that part. Cna you guys supply me with the grit of the sand paper and steps to follow? I know my paint guy knows his stuff but I want it done right. Thanks for the help. I am almost done...

Mosesatm

Try contacting the Eastwood Company. They will probably be happy to explain the process to you and sell you everything you need.

What kind of paint did you use; lacquer, acrylic enamel, polyurethane? The type of paint dictates to some degree the products to use.

People use anywhere from 600 grit to 1200 grit to sand. I have always used 600 then a fine rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then a swirl removing compound. Top it all off with a non-abrasive wax.

That was years ago and there may be new products on the market but in general those are the steps.

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

:) I know that they shot a 2 stage paint on the car. I was told that I need to buy some sand paper to take off all the orange peel, then buy some liquid compound to polish it, then wax and glaze. I want to buy the best material and I was told that 3M is the best.

390cs68rcode

it was my car we were talking about. I think my guy used 2000 grit sandpaper and the 3m compound. That's about all I know, sorry.

quicknick

We use only 3M products here at the body shop.
My best advice (assuming you have never done this before) is to have a professional examine your finish to prescribe the best sandpaper and rubbing compound for the job. Every paint job and clearcoat finish comes out different and needs the right grit combo for the right job.
My hats off to you for attempting this task on yourself. However, you don't want to incur any costly repairs or repaint due to a buffing mistake.
Have your painter physically examine the car and tell you what it will take to make it look good. Then you can start sanding away. Good luck, Nicholas