• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Float for 4300 carb

murf104

Looking for a float for a 4300 carb, C8ZB - D. This part is used in all 4300 carbs up until about 71 and in some applications later. They seem to all be gone from the normal parts sources, but here are some Part Numbers if you have stashed stuff over the years or have a friend with old parts or know of a business with an older selection of automotive parts. NAPA # 2-451, Sorenson 779-1787, Walker # 100-24. Pony Carbs seem to be out of business although their web site still comes up the phone #s listed are not working so if you have a contact with Pony Carbs maybe you could share I would appreciate the information. Please chime in with any ideas you have to help locate one of these either on this forum or if you know of a source please call me anytime at 217 971 7183 or email j.w.murphy@comcast.net
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. Used carbs may be considered if you have a spare of a junker sitting around.
John Murphy
MCA 7600

robert campbell

Leave it to the guys down under!!! I to, have had great difficulty locating these floats. Back in the day, I could get a brass one.

My recomendation to anyone with a 4300 is to purchase one or two of these things and keep them on the shelf.

Rob

robert campbell

John,
I see an add for a 4300 float. I have some used ones in the black styrofoam. Free if you want it. Did you run into what I just experience with Arlie’s 4300 rebuild. Lots of people show the floats for sale on their sites, but they are not available?? We had to reuse his. I treat these floats like they are made of glass!! Scott, cougarcj, to the rescue???

Rob

CougarCJ

John,
I see an add for a 4300 float. I have some used ones in the black styrofoam. Free if you want it. Did you run into what I just experience with Arlie’s 4300 rebuild. Lots of people show the floats for sale on their sites, but they are not available?? We had to reuse his. I treat these floats like they are made of glass!! Scott, cougarcj, to the rescue???

Rob

I spend a part of my morning a few months ago looking for floats. Autolite 2100 floats are available, but nothing for the 4300.

robert campbell

I actually have quite a few cores of 4300's. All with floats. But they are used. Lots of 1970's era 4300's that from a numbers match prospective are not worth a bunch.

Rob

OP
OP
M

murf104

Thanks to all of you for the help and the generous offers. A float has been purchased and is on the way. And yes, most parts sources have a listing for that particular float but in truth they have none available. Makes me think that one company manufactured the float and boxed them for other vendors since they all went MIA at the same time. This practice is all too common now and will continue to cause old cr people problems from now on. And Bob is correct, if you fool with the 4300 series carbs and want to keep them going it may be a good idea to hoard some parts. I broke my float throuth stupidity and probably it would have lasted a lifetime had I not tried to "fix" it. It rubbed on the side of the carb body on occasion and caused flooding now and then. RIP old float, I hope you are in a better place! Again, thanks for everyones help!
Fraternally,
Murf

OP
OP
M

murf104

Rob, I am getting one from Kurt Praxl in New York. I had contacted him before posting and he later contacted me. He will ship it Tuesday. I had purchased stuff from him before so the deal was easy. Had no idea these floats had become extinct so this hunt was a surprise. And thanks for the offer you made! Not too many folks have the interest to work on the 4300 series but when they work they are OK. Only those who are crazy about original parts would fool with one of them, but they can be made to work well with some effort.

robert campbell

Murf,
I have had zero trouble with 4300 carbs. Just getting parts. The symptom you noted of a float hanging on the sides of the carb body is a common problem. The huge horsehoe shape of the float is very unique in carb design.

They are just great on stock or very mild motors. Obviously not a bunch of aftermarket parts to "hot" them up.

You are right on to hoard the parts if you find them!!!

Rob

OP
OP
M

murf104

Rob, I neglected to mention that the name of the company where the float was located was Carbontooters. He worked for John at Pony carbs in NY but did not move to NM.

robert campbell

Murf, thanks for the source!

Wow, the internet banter on both “carbontooters” and old ‘Pony Carbs” is awful. And the following is just a few statements. Not about the parts, but about the carbs they rebuilt. On one side, I side a bit with them. When a customer thinks that a new carb will cure all, sometimes it is so much deeper than that. And these two companies have done a whole bunch more than I have in terms of volume. but, I think they wanted to have a business to make revenue, where all I want is to help a small few people. This is a hobby for me. To talk people through their problems without anything in return.

Wow the comments that people posted about both these “sites” shows that the end users of their products were not properly schooled on the minor part a carb plays in an engine with major problems or basic tuning issues. Their responses to unhappy customers was awful and unacceptable, but more than likely a symptom of multiple people who thought a carb would fix all.

Too many variables. I almost pick and choose those I help. those that will listen and understand all that is involved with a properly running motor. My best success is with cars I bring into my shop and do a complete tune, carb rebuild , and install. They walk away very happy. If that is not possible I wet tune carbs on a known engine. When they leave, I know they ran well on a similar engine. Not just in the shop, but on a full road test.

Anyway, I am sorry to see unhappy customers and businesses that talk down to them. But at the same time there are many satisfied customers of both these sites. Hard to fix a bad running car from a thousand miles away.

Rob

Ruppstang

Rob,
Your are so right. I have heard a lot of complants about Pony Carbs too. Over the years they did many carbs for me and I never had a problem. I know they ran evey carb on a engine dyno before it left and they allways sent a DVD on installation and instruction with each sale. I think after doing all of that Jon would get frustrated with some that would not listen or follow the instruction and then blame him for their mistakes. Still there is no excuse for treating people badly.
Marty

OP
OP
M

murf104

The float from Kurt (carbontooters) arrived yesterday. It was just as he said, and at a reasonable price. Best of all the problem is fixed and the car runs as it should. From my experience I would endorse Carbontooters - he sent what he said he would at the price he quoted and in a timely manner. And he sent the float with only a promise from me to send him a check in the mail - he had no advance payment. Also a big thanks to all of you on this forum for your offers and advice. THANKS!
Murf

robert campbell

The float from Kurt (carbontooters) arrived yesterday. It was just as he said, and at a reasonable price. Best of all the problem is fixed and the car runs as it should. From my experience I would endorse Carbontooters - he sent what he said he would at the price he quoted and in a timely manner. And he sent the float with only a promise from me to send him a check in the mail - he had no advance payment. Also a big thanks to all of you on this forum for your offers and advice. THANKS!
Murf

Murf,
Thanks for the info!!! Parts for the 4300's are getting harder to find. The 68 4300 had a fitting in the center of the choke cap for the hot draw off the exhaust. Many of these caps got broken from overtightening. I even gently repaired a couple and gave some good ones to other site members. The repaired ones must be "gently" used....

Rob