• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Last Minute Jitters--What Say You?

Redwingrobb

Okay, I know that Don and I have talked ad nauseum about my impending purchase, but I just wanted to get a few other folks out there to give me their 2 cents. I know it won't change my decision (feeling like Christmas Eve), but just wanted to see what your thoughts are. The car I'm buying has had the 289 replaced with another 289 engine (done professionally). I've seen a lot of talk on the board lately about "numbers" or "tags" matching and it got me wondering about how big a difference the value is affected. If, after I get the vehicle would it be in my best interest to at some point find a "correct" 289 to place in the car, or should I just "fogatta about it" and enjoy it. I've always been really traditional when it comes to cars; matching this and that. But when I found the car I fell in love with it and it appeared to be a reasonable price, and on top of that, I can't afford to get into a $25k car at this point (I'd have to sell a kid to afford it and the wife already said no--go figure.)

PS: Would you say that none, some, most or all of the Cal Specials had "numbers matching" engines (meaning that the VIN was actually put on the engine) or that they were just date stamped? And have you seen recent sales of cars with other than the original engine and did they seem to hold value? (Yes Don, I am going stir crazy...)

Trap68

A number matching engine is nice if your going concours but not the end of the world if you don't have it. Prior to 68, only special engines got a partial VIN stamped onto the engine (i.e. "K" code engine) so for the 65, 66, and 67 mustangs its almost impossible to truely state you have a numbers matching engine. The indicators to look for are the casting dates on the block, intake, and heads. From what I can gather, if they were casted 1 to 2 months prior to the build date of the car then one could say with some confidence that the engine is correct for the build date...hope that makes sense.
My 68 coupe is a "J" code 302 but sometime in its past it was replaced with a 289. I'm in the process in acquiring the components to build a 302 that is correct for 1968 (special heads and such) but I'm not sweating the casting dates as the car won't be restored to concours specs.
Good luck on your new acquisition and enjoy the ride!

p51

$0.02

My take is buy it to enjoy driving it - dont worry about the value. If you make any mods going forward make them for safety/fun and make them reversible. If you ever do sell it (heaven forbid) then make the *financial* decision at that time about making it numbers matching or not before resale. Have fun with your new GT/CS stang :smile:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2555103110563366337&q=mustang+68

rvrtrash

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. Once the original engine/ tranny are gone, they're gone. The chance of finding the original parts with the correct VIN stamped in them are probably less than 1 in a billion. Finding parts with approx. the same date code is OK, but it still won't be "original". With that being said, it seems that all matching engine/tranny is a big thing with certain elements of the hobby and they will pay a small premium for it. I like mine being original but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if it wasn't. A replaced 289 isn't going to be as detrimental as a replacement of one of the 428 cars. The restomod movement also seems to be picking up steam, so originality appears to be less and less of a concern (Did I just say that?). Bottom line, if you are getting a good deal on the car, buy it and enjoy it. 10 years from now it may only be worth $20K more than you paid instead of $25K but you enjoyed it for all that time instead of waiting for the "perfect" car and maybe not buying one at all. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it, enlighten us with your presence, and help us remember the pure joy we all felt the first time we drove our CS's down the road.
Steve

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Thanks for the opinions. Don and I basically talked about the same things, but you know when you get stuck on a train of thought, it is hard to break.

case12

BTW, it has been discussed on this site that some engine blocks were NOT stamped at San Jose in 1968 - possibly earlier built cars. Mine is one of them (I even have the engine tag - but no VIN stamp). So, "numbers matching" is a misnomer for some 68 cars. It's a 289, and there were millions of them. I dont think it changes anything of the value unless you are concourse, and even in concourse proper date coding is acceptable. If this your only concern, sleep well and go for it! Casey

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

I'm leaving in the morning. Just the jitters of refinancing my Barracuda in order to get the Stang and investing all that money into a car. I have only spent this kind of money on new cars. Guess I should just chill out. Years from now I'll look back and say, "hey, I'm glad I did it." Just an afterthought, but let's say the car had a 351 in it. Would it affect it since it was supposed to have a 289 in it, but didn't? Robb

Andrew

The matching number is not as critical as say, a Corvette, where the orignial motor really enhances the value. My car was missing the orignal J code 302 when I bought it. One week after buying the car, the 289 blew up and I found a 72 Grabber Maverick 302 to replace it. After 17 years, this motor just went and I was able to find a 1968 date coded 302 block which I had built with the compression of the J code. Heads, intake, carb are incorrect but work well for daily driving which is what want out of my car. If it were too original, it would probably never get used and that would defeat the point of having the car to drive and enjoy.

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Well, I'm feeling a little better about everything. When you're sinking thousands into a car, you want to make sure you've got all your doubts settled...Thanks!

Mustanglvr

Don`t worry Rob. The minute you drive it, your worries will disappear. There is something special about a Mustang and especially the California Special. Put whatever engine you want in it. You will probably never find the original engine anyway. Once the original is gone, it does`nt matter, as long as you don`t put a 6 cylinder in it, cuz then it might lose its desirability. Mine originally had a 6 cylinder and when I bought it it had a 1965 289 4V. I love my car and its engine. It really rocks!!!!!!!! Someday I will put a 428 SCJ in it just cuz I want it to be as awesome as it can be and it will enhance its value and desirability, if I ever want to sell it.
You won`t regret buying your CS. It will only gain its value as it gets older. Not like new cars that depreciate every year.

68gt390

Redwingrobb said:
Thanks for the opinions. Don and I basically talked about the same things, but you know when you get stuck on a train of thought, it is hard to break.

Robb;
Take 2 darvacet, get some sleep and go get the car. Trust me - famous last words, once you get home with th car you'll pat yourself on the back. I had all kinds of doubt about buying my CS even though my mind was already made up before I even went to look at her. After some of the most recent events that have taken place, I can honestly say it's the best investment I've made in a long time.

Don :grin:

Midnight Special

68gt390 said:
Robb;
Take 2 darvacet, get some sleep and go get the car. Trust me - famous last words, once you get home with th car you'll pat yourself on the back. I had all kinds of doubt about buying my CS even though my mind was already made up before I even went to look at her. After some of the most recent events that have taken place, I can honestly say it's the best investment I've made in a long time.

Don :grin:

...We're gonna' wanna' see pictures here first!

OP
OP
Redwingrobb

Redwingrobb

Pictures you want, pictures you shall receive. I'm going to bed. Gotta wake up at 3 AM for the long haul out...Robb

p51

Return on investment

Redwingrobb said:
Okay, I know that Don and I have talked ad nauseum about my impending purchase, but I just wanted to get a few other folks out there to give me their 2 cents....
Well??... We're all waiting. Pics, pleeze. I reckon we've all got around $0.22 total invested in this :grin:

Diesel Donna

Okay Robb left a day and a half ago...don't know where he lives...don't know where he had to go....but he was supposed to get the car today..... soooo
Tapping my foot....tap....tap....tap.....hmmmmmm, arms are crossed....looking around for Robb......:icon_shif
I'll give him a day to report then we have to send out an APB.