• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Two simple questions

bigbob30

OK hey everyone...my grandfather recently passed on and left me his 68 california special. It runs perfectly and needs litte work. Mostly cosmetic. Well my first question is about the front grille. i looked at alot of pictures of california specials and none seem to have anything on the front. personally i would like sumthing on there. would the grille horse from a 66 fit on there? Second question. It has a vinyl top...but i want to get rid of that and just have a hard top. I want to change the color sceme to black with white stripes. Opposite of what it is right now thanks everyone

68sunlitgold

bigbob30,
On your first question, the grille on the GT/CS's are actually modified 67 grilles, look at how the 66 "horse and corral" fit on the grille to see if they will go on a 67. My guess is yes. And as for removing the vinyl top...just peel it off, since you plan on repainting the car anyway there should be just a little prep needed on the roof, ie filling the holes for the trim chrome and removing any glue.

When you get done how about posting some pictures or even better show some before & after pics.

Doug

OP
OP
B

bigbob30

sure no problem...i only have my cell phone but it takes really nice pics ;D ill take sum later tonight or tomoorrow to show u how it is right now. im buying alot of new things for the interior this week. a paint job is definatly in the near future. think installing a new carpet and interior heading myself would be a touhg job?

hookedtrout

Sounds like you know what you want and that's what's important. We never know how much a person actually knows about a California Special when they first get one so I just like to bring up the fact that they are a fairly rare car in the big scheme of things and some of the parts are different than Standard Mustangs and the grill is one of those parts that are different and not easily obtained in original form so as you make the changes to the car keep in mind that if at all possible try not to change anything that can't be changed back. For example if you can attach the horse to the grill without cutting it or modifying it by all means do it without cutting as once you cut up the grill it might prove to be a costly error if someday you have a change of heart and want to put the car back to an original GT/CS.

Don't take my comments as trying to talk you out of changing the car to your liking as you should have it the way you want it, I just remember when I got my California Special I had no idea that it was as rare as it is and that some of the parts aren't easily obtained especialy NOS. I'm just dang glad I didn't start cutting and modifying as I have a tendency to do that, especially owning a Jeep, you modify them to no end it seems. I did add mag wheels and a few things but only things that can be changed back very easily and I always keep any part that I remove if I change it to something else so I can put it back if I so desire.

Look forward to seeing the pictures and have fun with it that is a very nice gift to receive. Lot's of people out there would love to get their hands on a GT/CS.

Hook

rjw

Like Hook said, original parts are very hard to come by. If a grille medallion is what you want, and it would involve cutting your original one, consider buying an aftermarket replacement, a "stock" 67 or 68 grille that could be cut/modified for your plan and holding back your original grille. Hey, it's your car, and we are just giving you some ideas as food for thought. Enjoy!
Richard

rvrtrash

I agree that you shouldn't cut or modify your grill. Maybe you could get just the running pony, make a backing plate and sandwich it so the grill is unmolested. On the vinyl top, you'll have to weld up a bunch of little holes and it seems the vinyl tops were put on cars that the tops weren't the straightest to camoflage them. There may also be rust under the vinyl. Other than that, make it what you want, just save all the parts you take off, so you'll have the original stuff later. Either for looks or money, you'll probably want it original some day.
Steve

mca

I'm not scared to talk you out of it. Don't make a stupid mistake. Unless you have no regard of money or investment hack away. If you modify it, the value of the car will decrease greatly, and I mean in the thousands of dollars. Not only are buyers going to deduct the price of parts, but also the labor to bring it back. True purists will not even touch it, they will pass it up and move on. Go find a regular Mustang to hack up. What you want to do is no different than somebody putting a horse and corral on front of a Shelby Mustang. Go cut paper planes out of your Exxon stock, its no different. My advice is to sell the GT/CS and use the money to buy what you want.

P

PNewitt

I've seen just about every mod you can think of on a GT/CS, including putting it up on a 4x4 chassis!!

I wouldn't especially say no to doing anything that can be bolted or screwed on to any Mustang. It can be undone in a matter of minutes. If painting your fenders pink makes you happy, go for it. It's your car!

However--I disagree with MCA's comments--only by the "quick to judge" tone. Give this BigBob guy a break. I'm guessing that Big Bob is new to this, and that he isn't up to speed with what he has. He wrote this board asking for help and direction. We have no knowledge if he's a "Mustanger", or not. Don't knock him for wanting to put a horse and grille in there.

BigBob should know that the reason there is no horse and corral on the GT/CS (HCS) grille is because it's supposed to "look like a Shelby GT". ('67-70) Shelbys have no horse emblems. It's empty. The GT/CS has no horse and bars fender emblems, too (but one is on the pop-off gas cap).

Making your GT/CS look like it used to gives it a lot more interest, and the authenticity not only adds value, but in today's world of jelly-bean cars and an SUV at every turn, it WILL stand out as a unique Mustang by showing the world how it used to look--today!

This website will help you see just what you have. Jon has done a great job here.

There are other members here who can "guide" you to a direction to a restored looking GT/CS.

It's important to understand not to judge people without knowing what they may or may not know. As much as I know and have written about these cars (2 books, now out of print), I still say to do what makes you happy. Life is too short to live and do by other's (elitist) standards to do a car perfectly that you can't drive and enjoy--just to satisfy three days of the year at concours car shows.

I can guide anyone into knowing every square inch of a GT/CS; every nut and bolt; how to restore and impress the strictist of judges (even MCA judges). But...the bottom line is enjoyment, not obsession.

By the way...when I bought MY GT/CS in 1974, I bolted a Mustang II chrome grille horse into the original grille. By 1978, the Mustang craze started, and horse was IMMEDIATELY tossed!!

The rest is history....430,000 miles later.

Paul.

OP
OP
B

bigbob30

I greatly appreciate all of your comments. Everyone has there point of view. This style of mustang is in my opinion the most beuatiful mustang of them all. Lol i hope I don't get flamed. Mustangs have run in my family ever since i could remember. My dad talks about his 69 all the time. But he also told me how far from stock he had it. I mean if this car wasnt such a classic i wouldnt mind to much. But this will be my car. I mean until forever. This was my grandpas greatest possesion and he decided to leave it to me. I never intend to sell it. It hd become an heir loom i guess. I would like to keep it closest to stock as possible but there are just somethings im going to have to change. I mean a change in paint probably isnt a huge problem, but now thatu mention the 68 was never ment to have the horse on the grille its taken away from me wanting it. It adds more not being there ;D. I intend to keep everypart of the exterior stock. But interiot needs some updating. Espec. stereo. I dont know if its oem but it is very old. Carpet needs to be retored. And drivers seat needs to be restored. I took this pic a while back. Its from my phone but still looks nice. What do you guys think of it in black? I really do love this car. I even took a summer job just to have money to pour into this car. So far my entire paycheck has gone into the car. Its worth it no doubt.

Attachments

• my_car.jpg
    my_car.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 17
P

PNewitt

Hi Bob..

What I would suggest is to authenticate the car--probably with a Marti report (see the other threads).

Nice looking CS! There are a couple of things I noticed in the photo: The "GT/CS" logo on the side scoop looks unusual. Also, the "Mustang" script on the fender looks low. Was this car in an accident?

If you're going to keep this car (I can relate, I've had mine since 1974), then don't make any radical moves for a while, like painting it, etc. I wouldn't be so quick to lose the vinyl top. Little Red (Shelby Prototype) had one.

You may consider getting a set of ten-spoke wheels (from Tony Branda), for less than $1k. They are 15", and look awesome! (get the "CS" center caps). Meadowlark yellow might not be the most awesome color (like RED!), but the uniqueness, and making it look claen and waxed, and beautiful will make it stand on its own.

Besides--black cars can't be seen at night--as a safety issue.

And...since this car WILL get attention, be vigilant about where you park it, and add some security devices, etc.

As for the Stereo--there are Mustang-friendly stereos out there (someone may suggest a company) where you don't have to cut/hag out anything to install it.

and..beware...this type of Mustang is a babe-magnet, too.

Just my two bits

Paul.

-=MUSTANG=-

Bob,

Keep the vinyl roof. It looks real good with the white paint and black stripe.

OP
OP
B

bigbob30

As for whether it was in an accident or not, I do remember my grandpa telling me he got rearended once. And for the gt/cs on the side, i dont think the company used the oem stripe set to paint it. Not sure, but when i can take clearer pictures ill be sure to post them. OK i was just looking through the gallery and i saw a cs owned by a guy named David Athens. That is probably how i would want my paint job. I see he still has the vinyl top and it compliments it well. Is there any way i can restore the vinyl top, like give it some more color? Or do i have to buy i new one. This one is not bad enouigh to have to be replaced but it could be nicer.
I have looked through a couple of mustang catologues and seen kick panels with precut stereo holes. This is what im probably going to buy because with my kick panels there isnt enough room behind them to put speakrs in the regular ones. Thats the only modification i would have to make in order to put a stereo system in.
Is it tough to install new carpet and insullation? Thanks for your comments/ideas by the way.

Sarge

Carpet and insulation are pretty easy to install. I purchased a set of the kick panels with speakers in them already, and they did need a bit of "modification" to make them fit, but nothing drastic. As everyone else has already said, keep the original parts (kick panels). Also, I am in Milpitas, so may be fairly close to you (SJ). Might be cool to meet sometime.
Robert

rjw

My two bits is to keep the vinyl top. Of course, I am a little biased since mine has one. As for the Shelby ten spokes, search the forums where I posted a picture of mine---just bought them in the last couple of months. Enjoy the car and monitor this site; a wealth of information is at your fingertips and most likely someone that posts here has experienced what you are facing.
Richard

mca

Uh oh, I got slammed by the big guy (Paul Newitt). After reading my string, it does sound a little harsh. I think what you are trying to say is to "use a candle, not a blowtorch" to get my point across. Yes these are fun cars, and the classic car hobby should be fun and should promote goodwill. I am all for driving, I am one who cannot sit and look at them in the garage. Although, the market is getting into serious stakes for Shelbys, and GT/CS owners are going to have to start considering investment protection in the near future, it is inevitable. I simply did not want BigBob to make a financial mistake. With all due respect, maybe I did slap the ruler a little too hard, but I still stand by my point. (I hope I didn't offend you BigBob - by the way, I think the Meadowlark yellow looks great on that car, but then again, I like Lime Gold too!).

P

PNewitt

Gosh, MCA-- I don't mean to "carry a big stick" and knock anyone down...but I think you got the point. I appreciate your humility about this.

What I think I'll do is start another thread about just where we--as a group of GT/CS and HCS owners--go from here.

I think that "certain" clubs don't give the GT/CS the respect it deserves....and I need to address where we might go as a group as far as the way we enjoy our cars, too. Restoration? Concours? or Driver? As the cars age, the value goes up. And...some might want to do extensive "Eleanor-esque" mods on theirs, too....(??)

So..in the shadow of the Shelby folks, I need to point out some of the true values of this unique Mustang, which might provide some insights to owners...

Stay tuned--more coming on a new thread soon.

Paul.