• The intent of this Restoration Reference forum is to provide a collection of technical, accurate details to help others in their restorations. These Reference Articles can include photos, descriptions, diagrams, part numbers, concours rules, etc.

PLEASE ONLY POST VARIFIED INFORMATION. This is a technical forum and the information needs to be as accurate as possible. Please don't post things you've heard second hand or think you remember reading somewhere.

You may reply to an Article, but only if it serves to give more information or clarify a detail in that Article. These should be a presentation of fact more than a discussion. Off-topic responses will be deleted or moved.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Early vs. Late Lucas Square 8 Foglights

Mosesatm

The lights on the left side of each photo are the early (not sure when they switched) lights with the small black O-ring grommets. The lights on the right are the later models with the large gray cone-shaped grommets.

But the grommets are not the whole story. The wiring inside the lights is also different. Note that the early light has a ground wire attached to a tab on the bulb holder but the later light is missing that wire, even though it has the hole in the tab for it.

Also note that the early light has no wires in the housing, just a juction block with 2 female connectors.

Any lens can be used with any housing but a jumper is required to install a late lens into an early housing.

Attachments

• Grommets.jpg
    Grommets.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Lenses.jpg
    Lenses.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Rear of Lenses.jpg
    Rear of Lenses.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 124
  • Inside Housings.jpg
    Inside Housings.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 116

obwan93001

K, one more post before I hit the sack. Thanks for sharing that Arlie! I was looking at lights on ebay last month and one thing I noticed w/regards to the lens was that the correct Lucas lens for our cars says "England" on them and later ones say "Foreign Glass" but look pretty much the same. I'm not sure when they switched either but I thought I saw something that it was around '72 give or take a year or so. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though but that's kind of what I remember reading a while ago. Mine are luckily still the originals and have the small black O-ring grommets w/lens that have England on them.

On a side note I did find a very nice pair of the original Lucas fog light covers, the black ones w/the small round peep hole in them. The guy I got them from said his grandfather had found them in the glove compartment of his '68 Shelby Mustang when he bought it new and were in his basement in storage. I know there has been much discussion about the covers and them not officially being sold w/our cars and the Shelby's at the time although as mentioned in previous posts regarding the subject some people did actually find them in their glove compartments. My take is dealers weren't really sure what to do w/them and/or some were swiped before the cars were sold. Who knows. I know, I know, only the Shadow knows!

Oscar