• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Steering Fixed! Curious what was wrong?-Inquire within

davidathans

Some of you have been helping me in my other threads about my power steering problems. Well $1200 later my car is fixed and i know what was wrong.

drum roll please...

it turns out it was not a defective control valve. What happened was the pin broke off inside the drag link and the control valve was rotating on the drag link bar. So i had to replace the drag link bar and put in a new pin and get another alignment and now the steering feels right again.

What do you guys think of that...isn't it crazy that it cost $1200 for 3 hoses, a ram boot kit, a new control valve, a new drag link, a new drag link pin, ATF and 2 alignments and labor just to fix a friggin leak!

Perkchiro

Well David, at least you have a tight, leak proof ps system now. I had a the pin brake off in my c-link and I took it to a machine shop to drill it out. The machinist broke off a carbide drill bit in it and gave up. I ended up tapping the hole out and installing a threaded pin. It's not stock but it worked. Sorry for all the confusion and wasted dollars, but welcome to old car upkeep and maintenance. I'm glad you're back on the road!

robert campbell

Just when you think you have heard every possible problem. I will file this away in my 52 year old brain. More than likely I will remember "Call David"!!

Well at least it is fixed!!!!

By the way, I just field stripped the whole front suspension off my GT/CS. It creaked like an old.... Well you know what I mean. The spring perches were totally shot. Pretty sure this is all vintage 68 stuff. Complete rebuild kit from Mustangs Plus. Sprung for the roller bearing spring perches. Cost an extra $150.00. Claim to smooth the ride a bit. Thought what the heck. I am not an auto crosser, but if it helps a bit. Embarresed about how dirty my power steering ram and control valve looks. No leaks, but yuk! Maybe the fluid can't get out of the dirt.... Lots of cleaning to do..... Rubber bushings on the end of the ram are totally shot. Rob has been neglecting his car......

Anyone try the roller spring perches yet?

Hope to have it together tomorrow and an allignment early next week.

Rob

our special

Rob, I changed mine over to the roller perches during the winter, so this is the first driving season with them.

I don't think it was my imagination, I like to think that changes I've made work for the better, but the first time I drove the car after I installed the pearches, there was a noticable difference in the response in the turns.

I had also installed new tires and wheels at the same time, so I wasn't sure if it was the tires, the perches or a combination of both, that made the difference.

I have since put the old tires and wheels back on the car, and I still notice the quicker response in the handling. I have noticed in paticular the quicker response while in the curve of an on/off ramp.

I'll be intrested in hearing how you find them.

Dave

gt bandit

sorry FOR THE hijack

but them roller perches are way better than the rubber ones.
My car rails now and you can really feel the weight redistribution going into corners - I have a lot of weight upfront though.

I also installed the roller Idler arm from MooG

shaun

robert campbell

No I am the highjacker!!! Finished tonight, and allignment tomorrow. Front tires are shot, so new are on tomorrow!! Can't wait to try her out!!!

Rob

robert campbell

Well, allignment done and it definitely is more responsive!! Did not have the tires I wanted so I drove it on shot tires. It is definitely much better!

Now the down side. Apparently the installation of the 1/4 inch upper spring insulater, coupled with new spring perches that are not "shot" and "smashed" lower on the upper control arm has resulted in a shorter distance for the coil spring. Now car ride is at least an inch higher. Will let it settle for a couple days, but may cut a 1/4 to 1/2 coil out of the springs. It sits to high in the front for my taste.

Got the lifetime alignment, so whack, whack ,and back for another alignment.

Rob

robert campbell

Yes we do!!!! Firestone!!! An old friend runs my local outlet and his store does the best service in the county!!! Great guy and old hot rod guy.

Springs are whacked and it sits so much better!! Took 1/2 coil out. Perfect stance again.

Off to Firestone in the am. Another alignment and new front tires. She will be great I think!!!

Rob

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Im excited for you rob...i know that feeling of getting a car back after making another improvement well....it is one of the best experiences there are, my favorite.

as far as the topic of the thread goes...(haha i liked how this thread turned out...improvements to your suspension with roller perches and my steering fixed)...

...my steering feels great again...i love driving my car...can you post some pictures showing the ride height changes on your mustang

robert campbell

David,
You are so right!! Fun to fix stuff and feel the results! Sorry about the thread hijack, but the subject and the insite is great.

Felt like I had a gasser from the 60's!!! Front end was to high for my taste. I don't want this car air bagged and on the deck, but somewhere a bit lower that stock.

Hated it so much, that my wife and I had a cozy Friday night in my shop. She ran the air gun while rob held the springs. All done. No pics of the gasser look!!! Finding a decent 14 inch tire these days is getting hard. I want decent performance look without getting to a 60's series. Want all 4 tires the same on this car. We are looking at some 65 series which may be the compromise.

I sense another thread hijack. What tires do people use? Do they repop a 68 Style Steel in 15 inch size?? Much larger selection of tires in the 15 inch rim size. I will go digging.

I will take a pic when it is done. Will include tire diameter, size, and a measurment from the ground to the wheel lip. That is the best way to duplicate looks.

Rob

robert campbell

Thanks for the leads. A 15 inch rim would open up alot more tire options. I am very old school and do not like the big wheels (18's and above) on the old cars. Just my opinion and it shows my age. The bigger wheels look great on the newer cars.

Not ready to dump my 14 inch wheels just yet(money challanged). I painted them to match the car. Not orginal, but I like the look. Still no joy on the tires. They had to get them from a warehouse in Seattle, so I wait until Monday evening. Supposed to be pouring rain Monday afternoon. Oh well....

Somehow, I see 15's or 16's in my future.

Try to take a pic today with the measurements. Don't focus on my hammered front tires. They took one for the team.....

Rob

robert campbell

Here are the after pictures. Tires are P205 70R 14 inch rim size. They measure 25 inches in diameter. Distance from the ground to the fender lip in the front is 25 inches. Center of the wheel opening at its highest point. Distance from the ground to center of the rear wheel lip is 26 inches. Same tire on all four corners. I like this stance now.

My opinion of the needle bearing spring perches is the car seems very responsive. The car is much tighter in the front. At the same time I replaced virtually everything. Upper and lower control arms. Ball joints. Sway bar bushings. Shocks. I am sure all of that didn’t hurt. Wow, what a difference!!

Of note, I did not replace the coil springs. I liked the ride height before I started the rebuild. Upon completion the car stance was at least 1 to 2 inches higher than before. Without changing the springs.
My only explanation is the old spring perches were “smashed” down and the busing totally collapsed from use. I bet 1968 vintage. This coupled with the thicker poly spring insulator on the top made the distance for the coil spring shorter, thus the rise in height.

If I were just changing from an old spring perch to one of the roller bearing perches, I would expect the car to sit higher. Be prepared for that.

I took measurements on our 67 Fastback. It is a full 2 inches lower that our GT/CS!!! I have never been around a lower 1st gen on stock components. I opened up all the wheel openings to accommodate the tires and the low stance. Not so good on the speed bumps….But it really sticks in the corners with zero sway. As long as the road is smooth…..

Rob

DSCN2634.jpg

DSCN2635.jpg

robert campbell

Used an electric cutting wheel. No gas here. Have to remove the spring though...

I have taken a gas whack at a spring in the saddle. then twisted the spring into place. a bit crude, but it can be done!!

Rob

rvrtrash

I would always use a cut-off wheel. I've heard that cutting with a torch can destroy the temper of the spring and cause it to sag further over time.

Steve

robert campbell

I have heard that happen for people "heating" coils to make them sag. If you cut it quick with the "gas wrench" it hardley heats anything but the very end where you cut it.

I don't recommend it. Seen a spring perch get lit on fire before..... I, like you, cut them with a cuting wheel!!!

rvrtrash

Poof! No eyebrows. (Patrick McManus--Never Sniff a Gift Fish)

Sorry, I just had this mental picture and this story came to mind. :icon_lol:

Steve