• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

california special ford TV commercial

390cs68rcode

I picture that being Paul and Diesel Donna in the commecial. :icon_ecst

Anyone notice the hood lock plate is wrong?

Mustanglvr

I can`t see any California Special script on it. The commercial is pretty grainy but you`de think it would be visible.

Russ

I think it is great to see one of the original commercials from 1968. I grew up in California in 1968, and I can't say I remember seeing this commercial on TV. I wonder if the car used in the commercial is a prototype, or early advanced car, used to introduce the GT/CS and stir up excitement in California?

Russ

68sunlitgold

If you look at the girl as she runs her hand on the side scoop I think she is placing it inside an opening. I think this is the same car they used for the promotional posters many of us may have which as Paul pointed out in his book was not quite the final production version.

Doug

p51

1968 GTCS chick magnet

I always get a kick out of that commercial - the guy doesnt quite know what to do with all the female attention he's getting. If I were him I doubt I would have driven away :grin:

On another note, is there anyway to put a link to this video on the californiaspecial.com website? I think it would be a good link to have...

P

PNewitt

I'm pretty sure that they filmed this J.Walter Thompson (ad agency in San Francisco) commercial at Pismo Beach, north of Santa Maria.

I need to check it out, but the guy looks like Charles Grodin. If I was on the beach, I'd be more concerned about salt spray on the undercaarrage than the women.....although, one of them had a spear gun! Yikes!

The suits in Dearborn didn't like the script on the side; called it "detremental to the looks of the car". They considered something like the "Super Bee" rear end wraparound stripe (the SB came out at about the same time).

So...this kinda dates the car, and the commercial filming to about late January '68. The billboards (and brochures) for the GT/CS didn't have the script on the cars, either (ACSCO was told on Feb 1st. to make the script for the prototypes for the Feb 15th dealer event in L.A. Only two weeks.) I'm quite sure they used the same red CS. How I'd like to find that car today (as well as those women...where are they today? Married with six kids, each?)

Paul N.

(if you look reel close in the commercial, you can see a woman in the distance in a lime-colored bikini riding a lime GT/CS pedal car....NOT! LOL!, Donna)

Diesel Donna

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Aaaaahhhhh you guys are killing me!! Jason I saw your post yesterday but decided to wait until I could make a snappy answer....then I got all tongue tied....couldn't think of anything and jeeez I am naturally a smartass.

I am trying to remember what that commercial looks like and I thought the lady walks out of the surf in a red polka dot bikini and fondles the car?
I remember the spear gun and ...what...maybe flippers for a fast getaway?

I think she should have enticed the man out of the car and then taken off in it.
.......but that would be grand theft auto.....

However, that would leave him on the beach with all those women...better go back and GET him!

And OH YES...that would have been lil Diesel Donna in a lime green bikini in my lime green CS pedal car. Just peddlin' my ass around. (Uh....I really did have a lime green bikini in 1968 ...wonder where that picture is.....)
Jeeeez, I said ass twice and fondle once.

68sunlitgold

Diesel "in a lime green bikini" Donna,

":grin: :grin:" That would be Jason....

Doug "Candyman"

68gt390

desldonna said:
And OH YES...that would have been lil Diesel Donna in a lime green bikini in my lime green CS pedal car. Just peddlin' my ass around. (Uh....I really did have a lime green bikini in 1968 ...wonder where that picture is.....)
Jeeeez, I said ass twice and fondle once.

I wonder if the picture would have looked anything like this?

Don :grin:

Attachments

• Blonde Tropical Swim.jpg
    Blonde Tropical Swim.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 24
P

PNewitt

If you look reel close to that model on the beach photo, you'll see a tiny ambulance driven by Donna in a tiny green bikini zipping by.

Paul N.

P.S. you're not allowed to say "hood locks" and "bikini" in the same sentence! (OOPS!)