• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

trim rings

calspecialchic

Hi, I recently bought a new set of wheels from CJ Pony parts. The 14 x 6 size wheel sets came with trim rings included. The 14 x 7, which I bought, didn't. I had to buy them separate. The old wheels currently on my car, have the trim rings. But when I opened the box of new wheels, WOW! I really dont want to cover up any of that shiny new chrome with trim rings.
Does it matter really? Any thoughts?

P

PNewitt

Hi, I recently bought a new set of wheels from CJ Pony parts. The 14 x 6 size wheel sets came with trim rings included. The 14 x 7, which I bought, didn't. I had to buy them separate. The old wheels currently on my car, have the trim rings. But when I opened the box of new wheels, WOW! I really dont want to cover up any of that shiny new chrome with trim rings.
Does it matter really? Any thoughts?

If you're not showing your car in Concours car shows it doesn't matter. There is a custom quality to those 7" chome wheels. The stock versions look nice with the trim rings, because it's the original style of that time.

The trim rings also have a satin finish on them, and it contrasts with the chrome. I think it looks better than all chrome. Did you know when you bought these wheels what you were getting?? Having 7" is nice, for bigger tires, and it will handle a bit better, too.

You might just hold the trim rings up to the wheel and see how it looks, without scratching the wheel with the clips. It's your call, but personally, I would use the trim rings.

As these cars get older, they beckon for originality.

Paul N.

OP
OP
C

calspecialchic

Thanks. I did want the 7" tires. I guess I could keep the trim rings around and think about it before returning them. I have done my best to keep it original. I just thought why would I cover shiny up with dull. But I will check it out. Maybe the contrast does make a difference. Thanks.

hcsstang

I'm thinking about getting a set of 14/6 . You can purchase some black on the outside and chrome on the inside. I priced a couple of well known dealers and Mustang Unlimited was the cheapest. I didn't ask about the quality.

franklinair

I've seen the all chrome wheels, and I really like their appearance. I personally would not use trim rings on them - it would defeat the purpose of the all chrome appearance (which I like), and would damage the chromium surface. As Paul noted, if you're not competing in MCA shows the absence of the trim rings is a non issue. Save the new rings for posterity, and possible use on the original wheels if you decide to go for the original config.

Neil

BroadwayBlue

Is this the style you mean?

I like mine without the trim rings.

Attachments

• 310429502_DSC_1876.JPG
    310429502_DSC_1876.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
C

calspecialchic

Is this the style you mean?

I like mine without the trim rings.

Yeah, thats the way I have them now. I really like it. I can always add them later, but I cant take them off once I put them on if I likely scratch them to for now I am keeping them off.

franklinair

I have noticed that the original trim rings (as Paul mentioned) are a somewhat burnished finish, but new ones on the market today are more shiny.

Neil