• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power Brake Pedal

dbeal

I picked up a power brake pedal off of Ebay (I know....) that was supposed to be off of a 68 cougar. When it is mounted to the power booster it sits almost 3 inches lower (closer to the floorboard) than the clutch pedal. I pulled the whole assembly out for another reason and have attached a pic of the pedal on the assembly, and separately. Can anyone tell me if this is the right pedal or not? If not I'll buy a repro one..

Attachments

• 4_4_06 008.jpg
    4_4_06 008.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 4_4_06 012.jpg
    4_4_06 012.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 4_4_06 013.jpg
    4_4_06 013.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 26

nfrntau

The power pedal actually mounts higher in the frame. If you look farther up (about 3 inches you will see a hole or a dimple for one. That's where the pedal for power brakes mounts.

Opps, looks like you already have it mounted there. No help here

mmarsalone

I know on automatic transmission cars you have to change out the pedal support also when switching to power brakes. The PB pedal has a different pivot point than the manual brake pedal. I see the the clutch and brake pedals are mounted on the same support, you might want to look at a part number list and see if the supports for manual transmission cars are different also. If you post this on the VMF, I'm sure you'll get your answer.

OP
OP
D

dbeal

the brake pedal is on a different pivot point. If you look closely you can see the bolt that holds the power brake pedal. I'm concerned with the pedal itself... Is it the right one, and is it normal to have it sit almost 3 " lower when it is attached to the booster? That does not seem right.

mmarsalone

I think you need to find a parts interchange manual and compare part numbers between Mustangs and Cougars / manual and power brake cars. That's the only way to know for sure. Again, try posting this on the Vintage Mustang Forum. Many people there will have part numbers.

68sunlitgold

It looks like it is longer than the 68 pedal. I attached a pic of a 68 and if you look at the distance from where the knob to the pedal it looks longer.

Doug

Attachments

• fa_1_b.jpg
    fa_1_b.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 18