• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail light mounting area

Tequila

I was looking at the tail light mounting area on my GT/CS and wondering if they had taken standard tail light panels and cut it out to mount the CS tail panel filler plates from the factory?

Please refer to the circled section in the attached picture. It looks like they cut it off with a saw. We stripped the entire tail section and interior of the trunk and it doesn't look the panel has been replaced. All the spot welds appear to be factory.

Just curious... Thanks.

Attachments

• mustang tail panel2.jpg
    mustang tail panel2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 59

Ruppstang

GTCS,HCS and Shelby's all were built on the same line as all Mustangs. The difference is at a point in their build they received adds and deletes on the Ford line. The Shelby's were partly assembled and shipped to Shelby and AO Smith for completion.
The short answer is yes they modified a standard taillight panel.
Marty

Mosesatm

I was looking at the tail light mounting area on my GT/CS and wondering if they had taken standard tail light panels and cut it out to mount the CS tail panel filler plates from the factory?

Please refer to the circled section in the attached picture. It looks like they cut it off with a saw. We stripped the entire tail section and interior of the trunk and it doesn't look the panel has been replaced. All the spot welds appear to be factory.

Just curious... Thanks.

Those may be tin snip cuts.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks guys. that makes sense.

wow. tin snip cuts from factory??

Ruppstang

Here is a picture of our GT350 that show some of the tape use to cover the taillight opening during the shipment from the Metuchen NJ assembly plant to the AO Smith plant where the Shelby conversion was done.

Attachments

• 68 GT350 001.jpg
    68 GT350 001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 47