• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GTCS Recognition Guide

gopre1969

Like to introduce myself,this is my first time talking on the Forum.My name is Randall Fee and I live in Auburn,California and picked up my California Special last December.My best friend in high school in 68 got a brand new one and I always said I would own one but didn't think it would take this long.I showed it yesterday at the "Fordlovers West Coast Nationals" in Sacramento.I had the only California Special and boy did it get the attention.Now for my question,I'am looking for the book by Paul Newitt(GT/Cal Special Recognition Guide and Owners Manual.Does anyone know if I can still get one from Paul?Thanks and I've learned alot from all of your discussions.......Randall

68gt390

Randall;
Welcome to the GT/CS web site. I to asked the same question several months back when I first joined the California Special site. If you read the following post:
For Paul: GT/CS Recognition Guide & Owner's Manual on page 3 of the GT/CS and HCS Discussions forum,
I think it will answer your question. I have been looking for the 1st book now since February 04 and have not been able to locate one anywhere except at a local restoration shop here in Columbus, Ohio. There was one being offered on ebay recently that sold for over $150.00. That show's the rareity of the book. Again, welcome to the California Special Web site.

Don

P

PNewitt

I never thought my book would generate so much $$ on EBAY. How flattering.

At one time Jon (the webmaster) and I kicked around the idea of reproducing the best parts of both books here as webpages, since they both are out of print (except for the 1996 copies that Branda still has).

What would you all think of that???

Paul.

68gt390

Hey Paul;
I think Branda is even out of the 96 books. While at Nashville, I asked them about your first book and they only had 1 copy of the 96 edition left and i think it sold.

As for reproducing those items on the web, that would be a great help for those of us who have been looking for the books but unable to find them. Fortunately I was able to get a copy of your 96 edition from you back in March of this year. What about a reprint of the books. There seems to be interest in the books as can be evidenced by the one that just sold on ebay.

Don ;D

rvrtrash

Hey Paul, I would say, in order of desirability, an updated version of the book, a reprint (second printing) of the book, and then the web pages. Since I don't have a copy of the book, I'd be happy with anything.
Steve

GTMC President

Paul,

I recommend a third registry book. Use the printed out EBay auctions as proof for a publisher, that there is a market for this! Perhaps some parts vendors could help underwrite the cost... e-mail me any lets talk about it.

You are an Eagle Scout, forging new trails all the time is a walk in the park for you!!!

I pledge my help in any way (even from Idaho). Help me, help you... hundreds will join in any way to help.

Let me know... Let me think:

1989-1996= 7 years...
1996-2004= 8 years...
Conclusion: Yep, its time for Part III...

Mike Marchese, President Grand Teton Mustang Club
Idaho Falls, Idaho

hookedtrout

Hey Mike, looks like another Idaho native, I'm just up the road North of you a few miles.

Hook

GTMC President

Cory,

thanks for the pics of your past cars and current GT/CS-
lets get our families together sometime soon!

Paul Newitt: lets get book number three cooking!!!
Who here will help Paul with Book number III besides me????

ANYONE OUT THERE?

Lets help Paul - peer pressure him into the third GT/CS Registry...

P

PNewitt

I certainly appreciate the idea, and the enthusiasm, but to put out these books really takes a lot out of me--and financially, I didn't really do all that well. Of course, it's a labor of love--but it takes quite a lot of my time to do this. The 1996 book took me about 6 months just to enter all the car data (@ 800 cars) into the database!

What happens is there are quite a number really enthusiastic, but honestly--not the high enough numbers to justify printing 3000 copies. I only printed about 1200 of the '96 book and it took me 6 years to sell all of them.

That is why I think reproducing the page info from both books on this site would satisfy people, and give them the info they need.

I really, really appreciate the response--and the dollar value these books have recieved (i.e. EBAY) today. But unless someone like Motorbooks offers to re-publish my books, I'm not in a position to do much. Besides--I have MY (420,000 mile!) GT/CS to restore....

Thanks again,

Paul.

murf104

Paul: I do not know anything about publishing, but certainly enjoyed both of your books. I can guess that more cars have surfaced since you published and all of us would be interested in what probably could be called an "addition edition" in which new findings and vehicles since registered would be listed, and the means to do it could be your choice - printed, or on the web. If all of the newly discovered or purchased vehicles were sent to you it probably would be surprising how many more CS cars could be added to your work. How many of you reading this have cars that Paul does not have listed? Consider this if you will and maybe others on this forum will add some support and even help if you make known what is needed. John Murphy

66joej

I have recently purchased a GTCS that is not in the registry and I would like to see the registry updated.
This is my 6th GTCS and only one of these cars is in the latest book.
Fortunately I have both of Paul's books but making the pages available on this site is a good idea.