• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Factory A/C

franklinair

My question of the day: '68 GT/CS
The 2 A/C lines (from the condensor & drier) that go thru the radiator support have a grommet (kinda oval shaped) with 2 holes for the refrigerant lines. How is the grommet attached to the support? Front or rear side of the support?

Neil (memory challenged) Hoppe:embarass:

Ruppstang

Neil it goes in frount of the support and just pushes up to it on the lines. NO glue! The picky MCA judge

GTCSMustang

Every original 1968 Mustang I have ever seen has the foam gasket on the back side of the radiator support. I know it seems like it should go on the front, but I have never seen one there except on restored cars.

Scott

GTCSMustang

Doug,

I can take a photo but it's not very exciting. And I don't know what the judging rules are. They may require that the foam piece is on the front side of the radiator support. But I don't believe that's the way they were installed. To reinforce my position, here is an original J-code Mustang with it on the back side too.

Scott

Ruppstang

Thanks Scott for your input. I am going to the VA Beach MCA National show next week and will talk to some other gold card judges about this. I know you have some very nice orginal cars but sometimes things get changed over 40 years. With all of them being in that position I think it is worth looking in to. The MCA judges meet every year to revue the rules and make any needed changes. The rules are not perfect but we strive to make them the best we can. Orginal cars like yours are one of the best sorces of information. Marty MCA 38812

GTCSMustang

For what it's worth, I checked the assembly manual and it shows the gasket installed on the back side of the radiator support too. Not sure how that information would play into the judges thinking but I just offer it as further information.

I like to go with what I have seen, not what is in the assembly manuals. But in this instance they are consistent (at least from what I've seem, as I stated above).

How does MCA or SAAC judge this piece?

Scott

Ruppstang

There is nothing in the written rule book on it witch leaves it to the most experanced judge on the team. As I said I am going to ask some others. Sometimes differnt assembly plants did things a little differntly and some times it was just were the line worker put it. Espeically small parts such as this. I will let you know more in a week or so. Marty

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

In the meantime, I placed mine on the front of the radiator support (not glued). Easy to relocate if deemed necessary.

Neil

GTCSMustang

Neil,

Why would you place it on the front? The assembly manual shows it on the back side. And original cars have it on the back side. Are you just a rebel?

Scott

Ruppstang

This is a picture of the MCA asst. national head judge Pete Morgan's 67
Marty

Attachments

• DSC01031.jpg
    DSC01031.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 30

hookedtrout

I'm with Amy, you guys crack me up too! The competition must be pretty fierce out there!

GTCSMustang

Maybe 1967s are different. I don't know anything about them. Anyone have an assenbly manual for 1967?

Where's Speegle? Isn't he supposed to know this stuff?

Scott

68 special

I'm with Rob. My A/C lever is next to my left knee. I don't have a console, so don't take chances with latte's in the car.

Bret

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

We Southerners NEED our A/C:cool:
When its 95 degrees/95% humidity A/C is very nice to have. My daily driver in Miami was a'68 coupe: Black/Black. I had the A/C so fine tuned that it would litteraly blow ice particles if the outside temp was below 80. On the 95 degree days it would blow @ 45 degrees. My dad taught me well during my youth working in his garage.
The detail re: the placement of the grommet is miniscule (IMHO), but since I'm planning on putting my C/S in the MCA show in VA Beach, I thought I'd inquire. I'll let the experts determine what is correct. E-Z enough to reposition if need be.

Neil (Cool Hand) Hoppe

Last edited:

Ruppstang

See what you started Neil.
I had Falcon guy say you Mustang people are (!!!) over the top with these minuscule details and numbers. I asked him at a big Falcon meet how many cars might there be in your class, he said 3-4. At a large Mustang meet there may be 20 and most will have fantastic paint and interiors. The differance usely is found in the engine bay and the undercarriage in those tiny details. Like we are talking about here. I enjoy chasing mystery's like this. The truth and better judging is the reward.
I know this kind of thing is not for everyone but I think it is important to have some examples of factory correctness for reference. If not in another 40 years of restoration and modification. No one will know what is correct. Especialy if all the assembly plant differences are blended. Marty

CougarCJ

I can find evidence of that seal installed both on the front and the rear of the radiator core support. Checked a few of the 1967-68 cars in the wrecking yard.

There are not enough unmolested cars to see a pattern. I did note that the one seal installed from behind, was a June 1968 San Jose car.