• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk Lid Springs

robert campbell

We had a alot of fun at the book signing walking around and "popping open" trunk lids! We had a bunch to open! Some open with the force of a medieval catapult and others just kinda ……. Do nothing…. Then the “do nothing” ones have another quirk of course! They do not stay open. Couple people had some unique ways to hold them open. Hockey puck between the spare tire and the trunk hinge was my favorite. We had some lively discussion about trunk springs and adjustments. For the record, my trunk lid opens like a dream and stays open.

There are 3 notches to adjust and someone posted a nifty homemade tool (help) to adjust the springs.

Neil and I talked at length about these springs. He may have a source for some “stock” springs for I guess a stock metal trunk lid. I have removed and adjusted both stock trunk lids, Shelby (fastback) trunk lids, and GT/CS trunk lids. To me it is obvious that the springs for the fiber glass trunk lids were of a light weight design, as the trunk lids are are much lighter.

Anyone got some additional thoughts on all of this?

Rob

franklinair

I believe the trunk torsion rods are all the same for coupes & convertibles ('67 & '68). The torsion adjustment is accomplished by which slot is used in the trunklid hinge assembly. Over the years (40+) the rods can lose their tension and allow the weight of the trunklid to overpower them. I've located a few sets a while back, but I'm having a tough time finding any more. (One Mustang shop in NJ wants $50/pair, which I think is not reasonable for used items). '65 &'66 rods are different, so don't waste your $ there.
I've suggested to Ron (clubpro) that this might be a good item for someone (Scott?) to reproduce. Time will tell.
The tool that nfrntau made looks like a GREAT idea- and much safer than vice-grips. I'm still beating the bushes for some good used rods, so don't give up (Renee).

Neil

franklinair

That would be GREAT. Renee's car trunklid definately needs some help.

Neil

PonyGal

...Couple people had some unique ways to hold them open. Hockey puck between the spare tire and the trunk hinge was my favorite. Rob

Hey, the hockey puck works, and it is VERY unique to the car! Although I do admit that I forget about it sometimes when I am closing the trunk. That is until I hear this strange "thunk" sound. I know you have experienced that sound Rob - sorry I forgot to introduce you to the "hockey puck".

Although, it would be nice to have the trunk lid stay open like it should, I still believe I will keep the hockey puck...

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

"Fast Lane" Foster,
I loved the hockey puck once I figured out I did not break your trunk lid or rip a hinge out! I had only met you for an hour and was busy breaking your new GT/CS! You can keep it, but we need to fix your trunk lid! It is so handy for it to pop open and stay up.

Tim,
I am curious to see how this works out. I have played with these springs before and believe that the ones that came on cars with fiber glass trunk lids are of a lighter tension. The steel lids and way heavier. So if the springs you got are for a stock car with a steel lid, I think even adjusted on the lightest setting it will still be too much. My opinion.

I am way curious now!!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Sounds Like Neil is correct! Same springs for either trunk lid!

I agree, not what I would expect. Leave it to Steve to get naked and weigh Mustang parts!

Rob

Mosesatm

Here is a page from the Ford parts manual. Note that for the trunk torsion bars it says, "Except GT/CS, 76", (I think 76 means convertible) but there is no listing for GT/CS.

Attachments

• Trunk Bars.pdf
    163.9 KB · Views: 42

franklinair

That's confusing. I know of no difference between a coupe or convertible trunk lid. The weight check that Steve did in that previous thread indicated 1/2 lb difference between a standard & C/S trunklid. Not enough to make any difference for the torque requirement for either trunklid. I'll stick to my theory that the torsion rods are all the same for coupe, convertible, or C/S for the model years '67 & '68.

Neil