• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question for Paul on 'Little Red'

DAR1

I have a question for Paul on 'Little Red.' My 'Little Red' project is coming along albeit much slower than I planned. My question may seem a little over the top but in the interest of accuracy.......Do you remember which gas cap was used on 'Little Red' Was it the 1967 'GT500' or the 1968 'Shelby Cobra?' Since the car was created late in the '67 model year and retains the '67 tailights but on a taillight panel painted arget silver like the '68s, I am not sure which cap to use. Any help would be much appreciated. I have attached a picture of the front coming together but certainly not finished....
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• LittleRedproj.JPG
    LittleRedproj.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 28

68sunlitgold

Dan,
This was taken from an article on the Volvo Auto Museums 67 Shelby convertible prototype:

On Aug. 16, 1966, Shelby ordered two prototype GT-500s - a notchback coupe known as "Little Red" and the museum's convertible - to replace his personal driver, a 1966 prototype convertible that Ford confiscated and destroyed.

So logically thinking, since the two where basically the same cars but on different platforms (coupe & convertible) and they where in design and production at the same time, I would think they would have the same parts. If you look at the attached picture, it has the "Shelby Cobra" gas cap.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Attachments

• 67shelbyconvrt.jpg
    67shelbyconvrt.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 29

68sunlitgold

Also found a pic of the rear of little red...looks to have the same gas cap.

Doug

Attachments

• ltlred1.jpg
    ltlred1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 22

Mosesatm

Interesting that they have different stuff on the deck lids. I like the Shelby letters better. Kind of breaks up that huge vertical expanse.

P

PNewitt

First of all, Dan, your Little Red project looks totally awesome! WOW!!!

I guess you got the answer to your gas cap question (thanks everyone!).

Note that the SHELBY letters on the rear are NOT the same as those used on the '68 Shelby--and must have been hand made! They are a different font.

Remember that Little Red was a project car, and that they did a loty of changes--mostly mechanical. For example, they put in a Lincoln tailhousing on the C-6, since the 428CJ/blower torque broke the stock one. It also once had a roll bar.

Thanks for asking....
Paul.

jk89cat

dan that is a nice looking project! and you just confirmed for me that i will be getting the r style valance for my car !

OP
OP
D

DAR1

Thanks guys for the information especially Doug for the pictures! I originally thought about the Volo car, but the detailing is a little suspect as the car was rebuilt as a '68 when they got it and as I understand, there are no original pictures of it as a '67. It was supposed to be built about the same time as Little Red but now has inboard high beams (early '67), standard '67 GT500 badge on the deck lid but '68 fuel cap. Thanks to Doug's picture, I can now see the letters on the back of Little Red are going to be harder to source. I have a standard '68 Shelby convertible deck lid with letters which took a while to find in itself. The letters in the picture look like the same font as the MUSTANG letters on the back of a '67. I found a picture of the original Shelby de Mexico '67 coupes (attached) - it looks like they have the GT500 fuel cap. Thanks again for the help.
Dan

Attachments

• 67shelbycoupeback.jpg
    67shelbycoupeback.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 23