• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Trunk lid weatherstripping

Ruppstang

Anyone restoring a 68 HCS, GTCS or Shelby convertible needs this information.
Most of the trunk weather stripping sold to day will not work on our cars.
I first used a Scott Drake seal and could not even get close to closing the lid. I then tried a Daniel Carpenter (made in China) and it was better but still could not get the lid to latch. Last I found a Daniel Carpenter (made in the USA) and it worked perfectly.
Below is a picture of the two Carpenter seals, the one on the RH is the China made and the LH is the USA made. As you can see the China one is larger and made of a very dense closed cell rubber. The USA made one is the correct shape and is a very soft open cell rubber. You can see the holes in it.

Another tip to have a good fitting deck lid is when the car is in bare metal glue on a trunk seal and test fit. If you need to adjust any of the trunk gutters before paint is the time and the cost of a trunk seal is cheep.

I hope this will help other not have learn the way I did.
Marty

Attachments

• 2080-02-23 05.43.03.jpg
    2080-02-23 05.43.03.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43

Tequila

Marty,
Thank you for the helpful info. Just wondering how it compares to the 1968-70 Shelby Convertible Trunk Lid Weatherstripping that Cobranda sells.

Also wondering if you have a recommendation on where we can get the Daniel Carpenter USA version?

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I think I may used the Branda seal once. It seem like it was a different shape but worked.
I got the USA Carpenter at RA Motorsports in Lees Summit MO.
I think NPD may have them just be sure to specify the USA made.
Marty

franklinair

When I restored my Highland Green CS I had ordered the trunk seal from Tony Branda (P/N DCM WS106). The tag on the plastic bag had a sticker from Daniel Carpenter (P/N S9MS6543720). It fit with no trunk closure problem.
It is a PITA installing the seal with the trunk lid in place, working upside down. When I get my Black CS back from the paint shop I will remove the trunk lid (only 4 bolts) and install the new seal with the trunk lid laying on a cushioned table, then reinstall.

Neil