• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Bagged a parts car

Ruppstang

It is all way fun to go on a hunt. Today we went to a small town in western IA. we found this 68 6 cil coupe W/ AC . Had it home by 1PM and 1/2 dissasembled by 8PM. Man I love to play with old Mustangs. Marty

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 61

Mustanglvr

Come on up to Minnesota sometime Marty, you can work on my car all you want. Right now we still can't figure why it has no brakes and the transmission is leaking when ever it runs. Also the battery drains if I leave it hooked up for more than 3 days. It needs so much work, I might as well sell it. :undecided

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Come on up to Minnesota sometime Marty, you can work on my car all you want. Right now we still can't figure why it has no brakes and the transmission is leaking when ever it runs. Also the battery drains if I leave it hooked up for more than 3 days. It needs so much work, I might as well sell it. :undecided

There is nothing worse than when the car you love is broken. I wish we were closer, I would be happy to look at it for you. You know that most everyone here on Cal special will help you all we can. My best guess on the brakes is you lost a wheel cilender,master cilender or have air in the line. What have you done so far? Do you see fluid any where? I would bet the front pump seal is out on the transmission. If it is that nothing to do but pull it out. And rebuild it. On the battery I would start by pulling one fuse at a time and wating to see if it will go down. That way you can narrow it down . PM me and I will give you my phone #. Don't give up! Marty

6t8-390gt

Marty,
Nice catch; that's what I need a solid parts car. What is the build date on the car? I might be interested in some metal if you don't need it yourself. Keep me in mind if you want to sell anything. Danny

admin

Staff member
Administrator
You call that a parts car? Looks better than my first car! :smile: It was also a '68 coupe with a 6 cyl and looked a lot like that one except mine wasn't all the same color. :wink:

A 6 cyl with AC is a pretty rare find.

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

I thought I would post some more pictures to show why you should never buy a car from pictures. Rob said in another thread how you must look carefully at a car and not get so caught up in it you look over important issues like rust. This is most certaintly is a parts car. I have seen too many people buy these and try to repair them. Marty

Attachments

• 68 parts car 008.JPG
    68 parts car 008.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 38
  • 68 parts car 007.JPG
    68 parts car 007.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 42
  • 68 parts car 006.JPG
    68 parts car 006.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 68 parts car 005.JPG
    68 parts car 005.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 68 parts car 004.JPG
    68 parts car 004.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 42
  • 68 parts car 003.JPG
    68 parts car 003.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 68 parts car 002.JPG
    68 parts car 002.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 68 parts car 001.JPG
    68 parts car 001.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Yikes. OK, I retract my earlier comment. :grin:

CougarCJ

It is funny, but in some parts of the country that is considered a restoration candidate.

A few years ago, I had some friends that had delivered a car to SoCal and had gone out looking for a Mustang or parts car to take back with them on the return trip to the mid west.
I went to help them pack up the two truck loads of Ford and Mustang parts that they had purchased locally to me.
One of the cars that they cherry picked parts from, was a 1970 Mach 1. T-boned hard in the left rear, someone had previously removed the passenger side quarter panel and roof. These guys could not get over the fact that this car had mint floors with factory paint under the carpet. I peeled the carpeting back further and revealed the build sheet. Pretty common find in dry regions. They were taking cell phone pictures to send to friends back home.
I just shook my head, I guess that I shouldn't take things for granted. LOL

Mustanglvr

There is nothing worse than when the car you love is broken. I wish we were closer, I would be happy to look at it for you. You know that most everyone here on Cal special will help you all we can. My best guess on the brakes is you lost a wheel cilender,master cilender or have air in the line. What have you done so far? Do you see fluid any where? I would bet the front pump seal is out on the transmission. If it is that nothing to do but pull it out. And rebuild it. On the battery I would start by pulling one fuse at a time and wating to see if it will go down. That way you can narrow it down . PM me and I will give you my phone #. Don't give up! Marty

:smile:Thanks Marty, I was just venting over frustration from not being able to drive my car. I don't trust too many people to work on her and my husband and I are not up for it. Last time I had somebody work on it they charged us $300.00 to set the idle/timing and to figure out why the battery was getting drained and, well, I think they set the idle/timing ok. I guess it's supposed to run rough because of a certain kind of step-up cam? I dunno.
I appreciate the advice. :smile:

robert campbell

Rhonda,
Fly Steve and I in!!! Marty can drive! Wish I was closer to help! I hate it when people get taken advantage of!

Or drive down to Tim's!! He has the tools and we will all meet there!!

I know Tim well enough to nominate him for anything!! and Renee will get greasy!! "If you are going to San Frannnnn sisssss coooo" " Be sure to wearrrrr, a flower in your hair"

Rob

rvrtrash

I'll go, if we're not in a hurry. I have something I have to finish up first. :wink:

Steve

Attachments

• garage1.jpg
    garage1.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 34

Midnight Special

I thought I would post some more pictures to show why you should never buy a car from pictures. Rob said in another thread how you must look carefully at a car and not get so caught up in it you look over important issues like rust. This is most certaintly is a parts car. I have seen too many people buy these and try to repair them. Marty

OMG Marty! At least you bought it knowing it was a parts car. What a potential nightmare if not!

Rhonda - What Rob said! We'll get everyone out here again like last October. Sign more of Cory's books, eat lots of great food and fix your car!! Rob, Steve, Neil & Scott know my tools better than I do ;-)

Mustanglvr

OMG Marty! At least you bought it knowing it was a parts car. What a potential nightmare if not!

Rhonda - What Rob said! We'll get everyone out here again like last October. Sign more of Cory's books, eat lots of great food and fix your car!! Rob, Steve, Neil & Scott know my tools better than I do ;-)

:cry: That would be awesome guys, Thanks.
I'm gonna do my best to get her to you all. I will pay for any work you do to her. :smile:

OP
OP
R

Ruppstang

Rhonda how far are you from Omaha? These guys got me thinking. Marty