• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Does anyone have any suggestions for front end alignment specs for a big block?

GT/CS S Code

Greetings to all,
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding front end alignment specs for a 390 big block 68 Mustang? Would there be much difference in the specs from a small block car to a big block car?
We replaced most of the front suspension components in this round of repair and restoration (A arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.) and the car needs to go to an alignment shop now. I dug a bit on line and found some info about it, but I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions from their own personal experience with their cars?
Many thanks in advance if anyone has any info to share.
Cheers,
Al
(aka GT/CS S Code)

Here is what I found online so far ...

In the CHILTON Repair Manual the following wheel alignment specs are recommended:

Caster - 1/4 deg Positive

Camber - 1 deg Positive

Toe-in - 1/8 to 1/4 inch

Can anyone pass comment on these alignment specs? From memory a similar question was raised a while ago and the recommendation for camber was 1 deg Negative.

Here was another reply on that Mustang forum:

Standard settings are for the roads and the tires of the time (196?). My preference for a street (non-race) car would be:

Caster 3 to 5 degrees positive.

Camber 0 to 0.75 degrees negative (depends if Shelby drop present)

Toe-in 1/16 to 3/16 (depends if bushes are old, new or urethane).

These cars handle pretty badly as standard, let's drag them into the modern age and make them better drivers.

Also found this info:

Street:
Left wheel= Caster 2 degrees positive.

Camber 1/2 degreee negative ( thats .5)

1/32 in. toe-out

Right wheel= Caster 2.5 degrees positive

Camber .5 degree negative

1/32 in. toe-out

Plus they mentioned this important note too!

My Ford manual states that you must have the engine running to keep the steering wheel properly centered if you have power steering. The engine must be running or there will be about 1/2" play at the control valve socket where the pitman arm attaches.

There was also a thread about 67 / 68 Cougars and front end alignment specs, and they said the info was the same for 67 / 68 Mustangs.

Mosesatm

Here's what I have for small blocks. Don't know if BB are different. I found this in an old magazine and will see if I can find it again.
Remember, these settings are for bias ply tires, not radials.

Caster-3/4 to +1 1/4 (optimal +1/4). Vary only 1/2 degree between wheels

Camber
+1/4 to +1 3/4 (optimal +1.0). Vary only 1/2 degree between wheels

Toe-in
1/16 to 5/16 (optimal 3/16)

PFSlim

It has been my experience recently - with my cobra - that when you take your car to an alignment shop, they can enter in a regular (newer style car) just to get you on the machine and make the machine work. Then, they start adjusting to make the car align properly.

For my cobra, we had some old specs but we did not know if they were good or not because mine is a second generation. Therefore, they put my car on the alignment machine and loaded a new Impalla (or something like that) in the computer. Then, they started on my alignment. It drives great and aligned perfectly.

I think it is cool to be able to cross check and double check to specs - but just not convinced that you have to have them - I guess that is what I am saying.

Paul

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

OK, thanks for the info Paul.
We're going to give the shop the stock 68 specs we have found so far and see how we make out with it from there. Again, they can try that and "tweek" it from there if they feel they need to? I'll drive it as much as possible this coming week and check for any "glitches" related to the work we did this time around. (Front end rebuild, carb rebuild, new 22 gallon gas tank and sending unit, plus some tail light rewiring)
We leave on August 5th to drive up to Kamloops for their "Hot Nites in Kamloops" show and shine event, and it'll be the first big trip off the island for this car. Should be fun!
:cool: