• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Package Tray

Gregpet

The new package tray that I bought came as just raw fiber board. I saw another '68 GT/CS over the weekend and it looked like the owner had just spray painted the package tray the correct interior color.

What is the correct restoration when it comes to the package tray? Should it be painted (it looks a little rough) or should it be covered with vinyl? How have other people handled this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg

spoiler

Package self

I painted mine interior color, man it soaked up the paint probably should have used some sort of primer. Not real impressed with the way it turned out.

rvrtrash

Same here. I spray painted mine and should have used a primer. I think it took 3-4 light coats, but I think it turned out well.

Steve

carezcs

I drilled a pattern of 1" holes for the speakers and used a black speaker cloth that I spray glued down and wrapped over the edges. Looks clean and doesn't have exposed speaker grills. Speaker cloth only comes in a couple of colors though. The biggest pain was taking out seats and side panels!
Bruce

P

PNewitt

Good question.

I believe that originally, the fiber board was installed at the factory "fuzzy side up".

We need some original owners to provide us with what was what--and how it was painted.

Since it's a "perishable" item, most don't last 40 years.

Can we get any photos of original, "un-modified" or replaced package trays?

Thanks-
Paul.

OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

So I think I will go "fuzzy side up" with a good coat of primer under the interior paint...

Thanks for everyones input...

P

PNewitt

Fuzzy side up works for me.

LOL!!

There are some interiors that used more than one shade, etc. Like Lime Gold...so...which color of the two was used for the package tray?

We need to make some sort of package tray color chart for all interiors out there.

A minor, but important part of concours...

thanks!
Paul.
p.s. speaking of package trays...a funny, short story. I was once following a senior lady that had a pink crochet'd "grandma" blanket on the package tray of an 80's Olds, and on top of the blanket were about 30 of those stuffed "TY" toys.

She almost failed to stop at a light, and hit the brakes, and ALL of sudden (!!) the toys AND the blanket flew forward, hitting the back of the front seat all at once!

I suppose it's not "that" funny, especially to an older person, but for the moment it was like: "oh, gads! look at that!".

SO....be careful with the amount of stuff you lay on that rear deck! Gads!