• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

i need some gt/cs advice! please...

ford9

i just found this web site and have been reading over the message boards and you guys sound like you know you stuff. any way ill get to the point i bought a gt/cs or at least i think i did. i have seen all the pictures of ones and it sure looks like one. i sent the vin into ford (history 999 report) and they i should recieve conformation soon. but i cant stand the wait. i dont know the vin off hand but this is where i start doubting its originality, you see this car has like every option known to man on it. its way too good to be true. these are the options:
-390 engine (which runs great)
-deluxe interrior
-indash tach
-cruise control
-rear defogger
-headrest's
-overhead and ground counsels
-front disc breaks
-back up lights
-power brakes
-airconditiong
-remote mirror
-tilt steering
-vinyl top(i think that the previous owner put this on)
car was originally white i think then painted candy apple red. but it had to be painted a while ago because it is starting to show some wear. this car also has everthing that a normal gt/cs should have. regular horse corral pop open gas cap. the rear quarter extenders and fiberglass truck. correct break lights. gt rims. i dont know what the black out grille is supposed to look like but my grill is all black. i am pretty sure i have a c6 tranny in there and a ford 9inch rear end. there are just some small things that bother me also, other then the rarity if it is a real gt/cs, like i have the correct hood latches but they dont work. the guy i bought the car off of was only 22 and he traded his camero for it. his camero got in a reck and he did not want to mess around with getting the front panel repainted, so he traded it to his girlsfriends neibor for the gt/cs (he also threw in some cash), a month later i saw the car and bought it from him for the price he wanted for his camero, $6500. the holly carb on it needs to be rebuilt (it was not running when i bought it) so i took it off and replaced it with a edlebrock 750 cfm. and thats all i have done to it. the car itself is in pretty good shape, it needs some minor work like a fresh paint job, heater not working, either is the air conditiong(because of the heater). front seats need to be reupholstered and other smaller jobs. there is absolutly no rust on the car what so ever! amazing because i live in seattle. previous owners garaged this sucker. the guy i bought this from said he ran the numbers online and it came up as a gt coupe. so i figured 6500 for a gt coupe big block...not too bad. if any one has any suggestions for me or can comment if this car is just too good to be true...i would appreciate it. by the way i will get some pictures tomorrow of it hopefully. if not tomorrw definately by saturday. thanks! ;)

StraightSix

Click on the "VIN Reports" link to your left and pay the $17 for the Marti report. That will tell you for certain whether or not your car is a real GT/CS, plus it will tell you all the options, etc. They're much more accurate than the 999 reports, or at least I've heard that the 999 reports can be wrong or incomplete.

Welcome aboard!

-Winston

Talan423

don't count on the CAC report to tell you if your car is a gt/cs. the cac report gives you very limited information. they didn't tell me that my car was a california special. i had to get the report from kevin marti to confirm it. the marti report is also much more interesting.
good luck

tom

68sunlitgold

ford9,
First let me say if it is a GT/CS, you got an increadible deal!!!! :eek:
The options alone are worth that, well maybe not 6K but to have cruise control is very, very rare!! 8)
Second, when you ask for the Marti Auto Works report, you can call them and have it faxed to you in as little as 2 hours (there is an additional cost but not much). I did this and had it in my hands very quickly. Good luck and please do post pictures here when you can.
Doug

Bluestang

Whats your vin #. I also have a 390 GT GT/CS. I Live down below Olympia wa. One thing to look for is if you have reinforced shock towers. If you get stuck I can help you confirm your car. Sounds like you found a great car worthy of restoration Best of luck, Kimball

68sunlitgold

ford9,
I saw bluestang's email and then noticed you are in Seattle, up until June I was in Kent, WA. Where was this car when I was looking for a CS? What is the DSO on the car, can you post the door tag info for us? Thanks
Doug

everyone thanks for the info...i will get that marti report now. tomorrow (friday) i will get the pictures of it up here, too busy now with work and school. but friday i have off.....

doug, the car was posted at Mustang Ranch down in graham for $10,400 for like most of the fall. i bought the car 2 weeks ago from the guy who traded his camero for it, he said (camero guy) he looked up the vin online and it came back a gt (although he could not prove it). thats why he got the car from the other guy so easily. taking into account that this porbably is a clone i decided because of the condition, engine, and some of the accessories (did not know about cruise control being so expensive) it was worth the risk. i picked up the car in redmond. i live actually in graham. i guess you not finding it was bad timing! lol. sorry.

hey kimball, i would like your help confirming this car. if you live in olympia maybe we can meet up and you check out my car in person. we are only like 45 mins apart... email me at m_ahmu@yahoo.com

i just wanted to thanks again for everyone that replied and i promise i will get some pictures up this weekend!
i am still pretty skeptical, but it would be a surprise if it is a real one.

OP
OP
F

ford9

sorry i forgot!
for all of you that are interested still, here is the number info:

vin# 8r01s166886

plates

65a w 2a 21f 74 2 u(might be a v)

68sunlitgold

ford9
If you had not decoded your info yet here it is:

Warranty Number: 8R01S166886
Year: 8 - 1968

Plant: R - San Jose, CA

Body Series: 01 - 2 Door Hardtop

Engine: S - 390 4v V8 GT

Unit: 166886 - 166886

Vehicle Data

Body: 65A - 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior

Color: W - Meadowlark Yellow

Trim: 2A - Black Crinkle Vinyl , Standard Interior

Date: 21F - June 21, 1968

D.S.O: 74 - Seattle

Axle: 2 - 2.79:1,

Trans: U - C6 Automatic

I would look at your rearend Axle number again '2' that does not seem right for a 390. It should say '5' or '7', for a '3.00:1' or '3.25:1' respectively. I am not an expert on the 390 but the 2.79:1 usually came on small blocks. Not a big deal though.

But your real color is Meadowlark Yellow, which was the 6th most popular color in 68 with 23,093 cars.

If your car is a GT/CS I would verture to say that it is very unique when coupled with all the options. ;D
Can't wait to see the pictures.

Doug

PS I do remember the Mustang Ranch selling a GT/CS and I thought the price was high, however, I did not know the engine and options on it. Just goes to show, never overlook a potential car. :'(

StraightSix

W. O. W. Even if this car isn't a real GT/CS, I would say you got a great deal. However, if it is a real GT/CS, then you got a spectacular deal :eek:

I would think that it would have to be one of the most highly optioned GT/CS's they made...

-Winston

hcsstang

I have one question I'm not experienced on the GT but wouldn't it have deluxe interior instead of standard interior and with all of the options? ???

68sunlitgold

hcsstang,
the door tag interior code does not separate the deluxe interior from standard, only the color and what type of material the seats are made of, standard or knit, and compose of colors. The deluxe interior is an option.
Doug

OP
OP
F

ford9

i just got the cac report back and it confirmed that i got a 390 gt engine and the gt interrior package. does not say anything about it being a cal special. i dont know if that is good or bad...i heard the cac reports arent always complete. i think that it is just a gt. any way here are some pics i have one of the complete car but it wont upload. ill get it on here tomorrow with a couple others. these two will have to do for now.

Attachments

• hyu.jpg
    hyu.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 51

The door tag does indicate a deluxe interior with the letter next to the body style. 65A indicates a coupe body with standard interior and 65B designates a coupe body with the deluxe interior. Hope this helps. Russ

68sunlitgold

ford9,
Russ is correct that the 65A states standard interior...I was fixated on the interior trim ID. If your car should have deluxe interior it should have a 65B, or if you are one of the few with a bench seat, 65D. Good catch Russ.
Doug

OP
OP
F

ford9

here are a couple of other pictures :)

Attachments

• DCP_0151.JPG
    DCP_0151.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 50

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Nice! Ford9, order the Marti VIN report already so we can see if you got the smokin' deal you hope you did! (Although, as someone else pointed out, it was a great deal even if it is "just" a big block GT) :)