• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Needing help restoring 68gt/cs

I have purchased a gt/cs I have the motor rebuilt and am now looking for some help with the following questions.
1. Where can I fine the correct dark blue ford color for the motor?
2.What is the correct color of paint for the grille?
3. any other helpfull hints for restoring the motor would be appreciated.
It is a 200 cyl. So far I have had the head rebuilt, motor has been bored that is about all. Obviously new bearings seals and cam/ crank.
Once I have motor done I will have the tranny gone through. Then time to repaint.

Perkchiro

The engine paint is Ford Corporate Dark Blue, available in Krylon/Duplicolor brands
The grille paint is PPG Ditzler #32930, specially mixed at your local auto paint store.
When you add oil to your newly rebuilt engine, I would suggest you use a 30 wt non-detergent engine oil for the first few hours of operation. Good luck with the rebuild project. Many here on this site have put in the blood, sweat and tears to restore their cars and they are a wealth of info. Just ask if you have questions.

OP
OP
M
Thank you for your response and suggestions i will look for the colors of paint that you suggested. I was planning on the first oil to be non detergent first. This rebuilding is a new experience for me but so far fun.

OP
OP
M
Just a few other questions? I am assuming for the ford dark blue it is to be used on the block, head, valve cover, water pump, thermostat housing what else am I missing?
I planned on using semi gloss black on the fan, and pully not sure what else.
Is there a recommended color to use on the exhaust manifold?
Anyother suggestions are welcome don't hessitate please.

Mosesatm

One of the most common mistakes people make is they paint the water pump blue. It is supposed to me natural. That's why original ones are all rusty. And the power steering pump is aqua, not blue.

There is a little book that I think you can purchase that lists every part and its proper color.

I've attached the engine section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Arlie,
Wow thank you so much that will really help and it will save me time and effort asking others and then always wondering if they really knew. I will look for the book and see if I can find it. My car is a 200cid with an atomatic transmission from what research and the Marti report I can find out is that it was 1 of 47.
Thanks again Randy

BroadwayBlue

That's a cool book Arlie. I've never seen that before.

I have a lot of the info but this nicely organized in a list so easy to find.

I'm in the process of detailing my engine so this will come in handy.

Thanks!

case12

Arlie, I thought the water pump could be block color (seems like the book you posted shows that). I have also read, and been told, the power steering pump can be black or teal. Mine is teal, and I just ordered teal paint from NPD to touch it up. Super book....

When was the starter relay ever the maroon color? Every year seems black is correct, but a lot of them out there are maroon - why?

Casey

John McGilvary

One of the most common mistakes people make is they paint the water pump blue. It is supposed to me natural. That's why original ones are all rusty. And the power steering pump is aqua, not blue.

There is a little book that I think you can purchase that lists every part and its proper color.

I've attached the engine section.

Dosen't it say that the water pump is the same color as the block? I have never heard of the water pump being natural.

Perkchiro

I think you'll be correct with the teal color for the PS pump. All 68's I've seen have the teal color. I also used the spray from NPD and it worked great. I also thought the water pump should be the same as the block, Ford Corporate Dark Blue.

Mosesatm

Yep, it does say block color. Don't know what I was thinking.

BroadwayBlue

I just ordered a can of that PS pump Teal paint from NPD as well. I wasn't 100% sure about it but now I'm glad I did.
The current color on the car seems to be darker than Teal. So I wasn't sure it was correct for 68.

I'll let you know how it turns out and will post pics too.

At the rate I'm going, Casey will probably be done before me!

OP
OP
M
Arlie I have not been able to find the book that you are referring to. Do you have any ideas where I may find it?
I am now beginning the process of preparing for paint job over the next few month. Any tips or thoughts are welcome by all.

Mosesatm

Arlie I have not been able to find the book that you are referring to. Do you have any ideas where I may find it?
I am now beginning the process of preparing for paint job over the next few month. Any tips or thoughts are welcome by all.

I think I saw some at John's Mustang, but that was a few years ago.

If you PM me with your email address I can send you the scanned pages.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

J_Speegle

Thought that might be the book someone was going to refer to and not meaning to start anything but I can't let the opportunity to speak up go by

IMHO I would not use this book as a reference - especially for a San Jose car!!. From the little that others have quoted from it ... IF your restoring your car back to factory its way out of date and full of mistakes. I had a few restoration shops that called and quoted from the book - after listening I suggested that they just throw it away.... caused too much confusion and issues in the long run. Things like the paint marks are based on the 72 version of the MPC and it looks like the finishes were compiled sometime in the 80's or early 90's

Instead get a copy of the MCA rules (not even close to being enough help but a start) and ask allot of questions on good forums. Way too much info has been discovered in the recent year and generally no written sources identify the difference practices, parts and finishes between assembly plants. SO the live forums with lots of people looking over the shoulder of those answering helps keep the answers as up to date as possible and in turn provides peer review for each response.

In addition don't copy other cars - even if they have won some show or are in magazine. Remember that cars only have to be as good as the rules or the judges that day. ;)

Just one (experienced) opinion of course.

Not sure how this subject got started in the "Off Topic" section of this site ??? ;)

OP
OP
M
Need help with the hood pins??

I could use some help with how to put the hood pins back onto the hood of the car. The body shop took them off and doesn't remember what held them on.
1. How are the large washers attached to the hood what holds them on?
Once the washers are attached to the hood and you then place the pins with the spring and locking part through the hood.
2. What hold the pin/spring and the turn pin into place?
3. Is there some kind of lock key or a C- lock that goes on the end of the pin?
I am trying to get the car done this week for a show on the 23rd of August. Maybe also the 16th if possible.

OP
OP
M
Thank you I am having a tough time figuring out how to post a thread review the forums and also research different topics or issues.
Thanks again for sending the link.
Randy