• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Seat Belts (semi-long)

BrandonB

Ok I know we've had this discusion before a loooooong time ago but I'm still worried about it. I dont wanna be pulled over and get an extra fine for something like this. If I give you guys my build date can you tell me weather or not I am supposed to have shoulder straps. Some people I talk to say no I shouldnt but others say I should. Theres even a MOPAR guy (yes i know mopar...bleh) and hes got a '71 and said his never had shoulder straps...So now im totaly confused.

My Info which I think you may need if you wanna help is this...also if you need something else just ask THanks for helping!

Order Recived 6/7/68
Car serialized 6/17/68
Scheduled for build 7/15/68
Actually built 6/21/68
Released 6/24/68
Sold 8/7/68

It also says I am supposed to have Deluxe Seat Belts if that matters

Again thanks, BrandonB

66joej

All cars built after Jan 01/68 had to have shoulder belts as well as lap belts.
This was mandated by Transport Canada. I'm sure the same holds true for the US.

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=BrandonB link=board=1;threadid=779;start=0#msg4333 date=1074813021]
Theres even a MOPAR guy (yes i know mopar...bleh) and hes got a '71 and said his never had shoulder straps...So now im totaly confused.
[/quote]

Hey, Hey, I resemble that remark! ::)

My daily driver '68 Plymouth Fury III 2-dr does not have shoulder belts and from what I can tell, it never did. I just added the MoPar to the family a few weeks back. 383 big block with 440 open chambered heads, Torqueflite 727 auto trans and 2.79:1 rearend. Truly a cruiser!

Scott W.

68sunlitgold

OK,
I am no expert on this but all I did is surf the web and found this:

- NHSB issues initial Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 208, 209, setting standards for lap and shoulder belts in front outboard positions, lap belts in all other positions (to take effect 1/1/68 and 3/67, respectively). I could find nothing that stated shoulder belts are required at this time.

- In 1974 the NHTSA (formally the NHSB)requires 3-point belts in front outboard positions

I don't know if this helps, but my veiw is 68 seatbelts are manditory and 74 shoulderbelt are.

Now, it has been covered here before, but I believe ALL GT/CS and HCS car had shoulder belts standard.

Doug

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=68sunlitgold link=board=1;threadid=779;start=0#msg4347 date=1074839608]
I don't know if this helps, but my veiw is 68 seatbelts are manditory and 74 shoulderbelt are.
[/quote]

My old '70 Sportsroof had a detachable shoulder belt that slid over the seatbelt. The lapbelt tongue slid through it and latched into the center belt with the release button, locking it between the two.

Scott W.

Sarge

Below is a link to the NHTSA section which calls out that all cars (other than convertibles) must have shoulder belts effective 1/1/68.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/#SN208

And here is the wording "copied and pasted" directly from the website:

Passenger Cars (Effective 1-1-68)
Lap or lap and shoulder seat belt assemblies for each designated seating position. Except in convertibles, lap and shoulder seat belt assemblies are required in each front outboard seating position.

Sarge

P

PNewitt

From my research, only the '68 Mustangs with build dates on or after JAN 1, 1968 had shoulder belts.

What is interesting, is the "standard" item of the louvered hood (this didn't affect the GT/CS, 'cause the L. hood was part of the package) was changed to an option-only item after Jan 1, so that the cost difference of the shoulder belts could be met--as per the bean counters at Ford.

I did once see that there was a dealer option of a rear seat shoulder belt, that attached somewhere behind the top rear corners of the seat--where they met the metal and package tray.

The MOST IMPORTANT part of this message is to get your belts RE-WEBBED As soon as possible, since your 35+ year old, sun bleached, ice-cream stained, belt-buckle torn, and thread-bare seat belts are probably worth less than ten cents when you'll need them the most. There are folks that re-web belts (Snake-Oil Co.??) for collector cars. It's just a good idea.

Paul.

Calstang68

I have my old solder straps, and all the hangers, and hardware, if you would be interested. I have been tring to get the time to put them on Ebay, but just have been too busy.

Brad

OP
OP
B

BrandonB

Calstang, do you have all the parts for shoulder straps? or just a couple of the parts? If its the whole set I'd more then likly be up for buying them =)

Russ

My GT/CS was built on February 14 and there is NO provision in the roof for shoulder belts. I have a 1968 GT coupe that was built on February 21 and it has the shoulder belts. Hope this helps, Russ