CaliforniaSpecial.com -- Message Boards -- 1968 California Special Limited Edition Ford Mustang GT/CS
D I S C U S S I O N . F O R U M
COMMUNITY
1968 GT/CS & HCS
2007+ GT/CS
1966-1967 HCS

Vote!

Old 07/19/2009, 05:59 AM   #31
case12

'66 Convert., '00 GT Convert., '36 Ford, '07 Shelby GT-H Convt.

eBay: case12

Rich,

My take is that it is a volunteer job to gather all the data. Eventually the data gathered is built into the official registry. The person running and maintaing the registery would then be the 'registrar' of the registry. The person running the registry can change - thus the registrar is the person volunteering to run the registry. Some registrars volunteer for a long time.

Casey

1968 GT/CS on cover and featured article, "Gold Rush", in Mustang Times, February 2006
1966 Convertible featured article, "Sweet '66' ", in Mustang Times, January 2008
case12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 06:51 AM   #32
Mosesatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by case12 View Post
Rich,

My take is that it is a volunteer job to gather all the data. Eventually the data gathered is built into the official registry. The person running and maintaing the registery would then be the 'registrar' of the registry. The person running the registry can change - thus the registrar is the person volunteering to run the registry. Some registrars volunteer for a long time.

Casey
We also have a registry on this site. So the question becomes whether the official registry should be the one that can be accessed and updated real-time, or the one that is updated and accessible every 10 years?
Mosesatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 07:17 AM   #33
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by case12 View Post
Rich,

Casey
Hi Casey,

I get that, for the most part. But still doesn't answer the question about what is the "real" or "official" one.

What if John Doe decided he wanted to start his own registry and do all of the above ... what then determines what is the "official" registry.

I'm sure this has happened with car registries over the years. Was just curious as to what determines which is recognized as the "official" one.

Is it a matter of acceptance or some other criteria. Is it first to the table?

For the most part you usually only see one registry.

But even here we have this registry on the site which is included in Paul's book with data people sent to him and which included late model cars. But there is also another late model GT/CS registry at another site.

Example - I did a quick web search and found 2 1969 Mustang registries on two different sites.

I just started thinking about it when I saw Jon's post and was curious as to what people thought or have seen.
With the internet I'm sure there are more and more duplicate registries floating around.

I think the Shelby registry is probably one of the most widely known. My thought is a lot of that is all the work they do to prove authenticity but just my thought.

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 08:21 AM   #34
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
SAAC has been a big money making proposition for one individual for many years. And that person's name is not Carroll Shelby.

In most car clubs there is often one or two individuals who try and use the organization for personal gain. Normally it is the president of the club who is able to make car purchase deals for himself. Being the primary club contact from those non members looking to sell rare enthusiast cars, memorabilia collections, and cars and parts from estates. These club officials are thought to be trusted and honest persons making appraisals on these cars and car related items. I have witnessed it many times, these guys gloat about the 'deals' they made and laugh about paying pennies on the dollar for cars.

I have no problem with someone wishing to write a book from researched material and freely volunteered and shared information from the web. My issue comes after a book is written and that freely volunteered and shared information part of the book, all of a sudden becomes proprietary and copyrighted information.

See where I am headed with this? A pay to maintain and pay to belong registry like at SAAC. You have to be official to belong.

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 10:16 AM   #35
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
SAAC has been a big money making proposition for one individual for many years. And that person's name is not Carroll Shelby.

In most car clubs there is often one or two individuals who try and use the organization for personal gain. Normally it is the president of the club who is able to make car purchase deals for himself. Being the primary club contact from those non members looking to sell rare enthusiast cars, memorabilia collections, and cars and parts from estates. These club officials are thought to be trusted and honest persons making appraisals on these cars and car related items. I have witnessed it many times, these guys gloat about the 'deals' they made and laugh about paying pennies on the dollar for cars.

I have no problem with someone wishing to write a book from researched material and freely volunteered and shared information from the web. My issue comes after a book is written and that freely volunteered and shared information part of the book, all of a sudden becomes proprietary and copyrighted information.

See where I am headed with this? A pay to maintain and pay to belong registry like at SAAC. You have to be official to belong.
Cougar, this has been my observation, contention and resistance all along. Especially after being asked to volunteer that information, assist and even perform the research (originally as a cooperative group effort), and then reach a place where you are illegitimized and driven apart (on & off line) unless you become "official" (and in our case, completely submissive) in the eyes of the so-called registrar.

I believe the SAAC model you describe has been the sole motivation behind this "book" business from the beginning and if consistent, we will be "slapped" any time we share anything that may be in it when released, even though it largely originated with this group. Here-go; a future stagnation (and division) within the website between those who feel they need to be "official" and those who see the folly in it.

An on-line and update-able registry in our small and friendly niche would go a lot further as "official" IMO.

Last edited by Midnight Special; 07/19/2009 at 10:30 AM..

Tim
Midnight Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 10:40 AM   #36
CougarCJ
My Car Details

Spaceman Spiff

My Garage
Found the post I was looking for.

http://www.californiaspecial.com/for...t=registry+fee

Scott Behncke
1968 GT/CS 302-4V Honors flysis income beezis onches nobis inob keesis
West Coast Classic Cougar A good source for Mustang mechanical parts too.
CougarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 11:51 AM   #37
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarCJ View Post
...Confirming are all the "I" "Me" and "My" in the registrar's posts... There aint much of "We".....

Tim
Old 07/19/2009, 02:32 PM   #38
390cs68rcode
My Car Details

Have you driven your CS or Cobra Jet today?

eBay: jbsteven1

My Garage
where is that beat-a-dead-horse icon.

2005 Ford GT (2000hp)226.2 mph in the standing mile, 2008 Superleggera UGR X Version (2000+hp),2014 S63, 89 IROC 30k miles, 150 shot NOS
390cs68rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2009, 02:36 PM   #39
Midnight Special
My Car Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390cs68rcode View Post
...Understood. I'm out of here......

Tim
Old 07/19/2009, 08:53 PM   #40
Scott

How dead horse would it be if Jon did a paul?

As a child I played cricket with the neighbourhood kids in the church yard next door. One kid got bowled but decided he wasn't out and threw a tantrum - took the bat and went home. But it was my cricket bat...

While I haven't been here long and certainly have no vested interest in the site other than enjoyment and appreciation for the people here, their generosity and the love of the car (including Paul when he was around). Having said that, the statement of the information here being owned by Paul and on loan from him would drive me go to the mats!

But, it seems you are a much nicer bunch of people than I and suppose that's why it is so welcoming here. Just feels like someone is taking advantage of that as Cougar and Tim suggest. Not like those cringe-worthy barnfinds but for information and the collective knowledge here.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 11:06 AM   #41
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
What happened to the two guys that Paul took over the registry from? Up until a few months ago there was a page on this site that talked about the guys Paul took over the registry for. The page is gone now I believe.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/23/2009, 06:52 PM   #42
BroadwayBlue
My Car Details

Send a message via AIM to BroadwayBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanglvr View Post
What happened to the two guys that Paul took over the registry from? Up until a few months ago there was a page on this site that talked about the guys Paul took over the registry for. The page is gone now I believe.
No it's still there.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/resources.htm#a

Rich

1968 Acapulco Blue GT/CS 289 * 1996 Red GT Convertible *
BroadwayBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/24/2009, 10:24 PM   #43
Mustanglvr
My Car Details

Former GT/CS owner :(

Send a message via Yahoo to Mustanglvr
My Garage
Thanks for the link Rich.

RHONDA
GT/CS FOREVER!
Mustanglvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2009, 05:08 PM   #44
robert campbell
My Car Details

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390cs68rcode View Post
Where are those people that that tire of the one person that tries to steal away the joy and the love of the cars? The people that tire of the one person bent only on profit and adulation of the information that is the collective property of the group? The people that tire of the being assaulted for bringing questions and new information that may be contrary to conventional wisdom?

Tim, never leave! We are the owners of the site and ALL the information contained in it! Nothing is copyrighted. Jon and this site are the true owners and undisputed authority of the GT and HCS Special.

Rob
robert campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2009, 05:13 PM   #45
Midnight Special
My Car Details

...I'm not going anywhere Rob, 'just didn't want Jason mad at me again. He's my only shot at ever getting a GT40 ride & I don't want to screw that up ;-)

Tim

CaliforniaSpecial.com Forums > GT/CS and HCS Forums > GT/CS and HCS Discussions