• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Highly optioned california specials?

platnumheart666

My GT/CS has front and rear bumper guards, but no wheel moldings, and no mention of the guards on the Marti.

Same here! She is currently getting upgrades at the shop, but I am sure I saw the holes for the moldings. I know she has been repainted and just like the stripes, the molding may have just been left off.

Side note: : :mad: Bad news is, they see evidence of front and rear accidents. Nothing they seem afraid of though.

CougarCJ

My GT/CS has front and rear bumper guards, but no wheel moldings, and no mention of the guards on the Marti.

Had a set of bumper guards included with my early GT/CS. (VIN 8R01J137614, bucked 2/2/1968) My rears still had the factory yellow color that my Mustang was born with.

My car did not have holes for wheel lip mouldings, nor was there bumper guards listed on my Marti Report. Maybe the bumper guards were part of the "Basic off Standard Equipment" shopping list, in Feb 1968 at Milpitas?

sportyworty

In 1967 an option for the Mustang was "Exterior Décor Group". As I remember it was wheel opening moldings, louvered hood, rear deck lid and end cap trim, and bumper guards. May have even contained the light under the hood and in the trunk?

Did they have a similar group option in 1968?

Rob

Yes Rob the exterior décor group was dropped in 68 and picked up again in 1969. Each item was available separately and would be called out on the report.

The Courtesy Light Group was also dropped in September 1967 as well but was replaced with the Visibility Group. This consisted of the following:
Left-Hand Remote Mirror
-Under hood Light
-Luggage Compartment Light
-Glove box Light
-Glove box Lock
-Under dash Lights (Coupe only, came standard on FB and Conv.)

I have a 68 Coupe GT with Visibility and Knitted Interior Décor so have spent some time figuring out what was included. One odd thing is the wheel lip moldings are on the car and it is original paint yet not called out. They could have been added but like to think they are original as have never seen Bright Wheel Lip Moldings called out on a report. Has anyone else?

Ruppstang

Yes Rob the exterior décor group was dropped in 68 and picked up again in 1969. Each item was available separately and would be called out on the report.

The Courtesy Light Group was also dropped in September 1967 as well but was replaced with the Visibility Group. This consisted of the following:
Left-Hand Remote Mirror
-Under hood Light
-Luggage Compartment Light
-Glove box Light
-Glove box Lock
-Under dash Lights (Coupe only, came standard on FB and Conv.)

I have a 68 Coupe GT with Visibility and Knitted Interior Décor so have spent some time figuring out what was included. One odd thing is the wheel lip moldings are on the car and it is original paint yet not called out. They could have been added but like to think they are original as have never seen Bright Wheel Lip Moldings called out on a report. Has anyone else?

Do you also have the bumper guards?

sportyworty

Yes Marty and they are not called out on the report either.
I am going to look at a couple more cars and there reports here and will post again.

Ruppstang

I have the original bill of sale for my GT/CS. No mention of the bumper guards being added. I'm of the opinion that the car was built with them.

Does you car have the wheel opening moldings? There is very little chance that the factory did the bumper guards with out them. Ford was not in the habit of giving options away. IMHO I think a lot of buyers had seen the bumper guards on earlier models and wanted them so they asked the dealer to get them, it may have happened several weeks after the sale. That would also explain why the wheel opening moldings were not there.
Marty

stangfan

No wheel opening moldings. The car was repainted in 2005. I suppose it is possible that they did not re-install them, or maybe they were too chewed up and were not replaced.

Cool Manchu

My car has both front and back bumper guards, however it doesn't have any wheel moldings. My Marti doesn't mention anything about bumper guards.

It has original paint, and there is no evidence of ever having the wheel moldings.

Ruppstang

Does you car have the wheel opening moldings? There is very little chance that the factory did the bumper guards with out them. Ford was not in the habit of giving options away. IMHO I think a lot of buyers had seen the bumper guards on earlier models and wanted them so they asked the dealer to get them, it may have happened several weeks after the sale. That would also explain why the wheel opening moldings were not there.
Marty

I do not think it ever had the wheel opening moldings because the bumper guards were added.

stangfan

I do not think it ever had the wheel opening moldings because the bumper guards were added.

You could be correct. All I know for sure is that I like the look of the guards. :grin:

If a car came without the wheel well moldings, would there be screw holes to mount them? In other words, did all fenders have holes for mounting moldings, regardless of having them installed or not? :smile:

Ruppstang

No the fenders did not come with the holes. If you have holes your car had the moldings at one time.

franklinair

Yet another possibility:
In 1968 Florida DMV mandated bumper guards required. Perhaps other states did the same? They would have been dealer installed since Mustangs went to various DSO's from the factories.

Neil