• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Correct Trunk Mat?

murf104

What is the correct trunk mat for an April 04 built CS? I have a carpeted trunk and no clue what the original looked like. Seems there were different style mats used in the 68 model year curious as to which one was used at San Jose during production of the CS cars. Thanks for any information or images anyone can provide. Also interested in dimennsions and images of the spare tire hold down plate used with the 12 slot GT wheels for an April CS.

P

PNewitt

For the most part, it was the plaid design mat...which is the black grid on a grey background.

There might be some original CSs out there with speckled mats, but these days, unless you have an original owner with the original speckled mat in their trunk--we can't really get a survey out of owners today as to when and if they made and on the spot change(s) in trunk mats.

There was also a dealer upgrade thicker rubber mat in the same pattern available.

The New Jersey cars used the speckled mat. Not sure about the Dearborn factory cars. The type of mats were dependant on what the OEM outside supplier provided.

If Jeff Speegle sees this, he'll have a definative answer for us.

Hope this helps- Good question.

Paul N.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Can you elaborate or show an example of the "stitching" that you refer to?

Last edited:

somethingspecial

While you are at you might as well stitched the corners. MCA got me on that.

NPD sells a Plaid Burtex back mat which you need for MCA Concours Rules. The stitching hcsstang refers to is where the mat is split to countour to the trunk floor, it must be stiched up using thread. An MCA judge told me to put the mat in the trunk and make a mark where the mat edges overlap. Then take the mat out and just stitch it up as you would a pair of pants, or Frankenstein style so to speak. Hope this gives you a mental picture. Mike

OP
OP
M

murf104

Sorry, but my mental picture is not forming. Any images that someone can post showing details? Do all 68 Mustangs have this feature or just a CS?

clubpro

Don't forget about the #1 GT/CS parts source for this website;

www.RnRclassics.net

I have both the plaid and the speckled trunk mats in standard weight and in heavy duty.

And your price is cost + 10% + shipping.

I am still adding parts to the store so if you don't see something that you need email me at Parts-Info@RnRclassics.net and I will get it for you.

Cheers,

Ron

OP
OP
M

murf104

Anyone have a picture of the area where this sewing takes place on the plaid trunk mat. Is the UNDERSIDE of this correct mat the same as a 65 or a 66, or does it differ in that area also. I see "spatter" or "burtex" mats for sale for a 68 - are they sewn in this same area or are only the plaid mats stitched. I am really confused about trunk mats for a 68 CS!

GTCSMustang

These are only my opinions and are based on my personal observations and may not agree with MCA judging guidelines. Having said that, I believe there were three variants of trunk mats that were used in 1968 Mustangs. I am referring to assembly line trunk mats, not dealer added or installed trunk mats (usually the rubber plaid type). The most prevalent trunk mats (based on my observations) used in San Jose Mustangs was the speckled, burtex mat or a gray, burtex-like mat. In the original cars that I have seen or owned, I'd say it's about a 50%/50% split. I have never seen a plaid, burtex mat in a San Jose Mustang. I'm not saying that they never used them, I'm just saying I've never seen one. The plaid, burtex mat was frequently used in 1967 Mustangs (don't know which plants or if it was all plants). The plaid, burtex mat was used in very early 1968 Mustangs as a carryover from 1967 probably. I have a plaid, burtex mat out of a very early 1968 Shelby GT500 convertible with the stitched corners. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. To see a plaid, burtex mat in a GT/CS would seem unusual to me given their late introduction. The coupe mats, and convertible mats, and fastback mats were all cut different from the factory. The reproductions are all cut the same (I think).

Scott

GTCSMustang

Here is a picture of an original 1968 Shelby GT500 convertible plaid/burtex trunk mat (coupe would be cut different). It has zig-zag stitching in three corners (see pictures).

Hope this helps.

If you need more pictures let me know.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC00298.jpg
    DSC00298.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00299.jpg
    DSC00299.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00300.jpg
    DSC00300.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00301.jpg
    DSC00301.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
M

murf104

Scott, thanks for the images. Now it makes sense! The bottom side of the mats is very unusual, looks like burlap. Do anyof the reproduction trunk mats come with that kind of backing? Very hard to tell what is what from catalog descriptions. It seems as the ones listed in NPD as "plaid burtex" or "spatter burtex" would have this type of backing - is that a correct assumption?

GTCSMustang

murf104,

The NPD mats are similar to the originals. As close as you'll get in a reproduction.

Scott

OP
OP
M

murf104

Today I went with a buddy to look at a High Country Special. It was a one owner, less than 50,000 mile car. Other than a radio, it had NO options, and this was backed up by a Marti report. Even had poverty hub caps. It had the original trunk mat still in place, or at least i feel strongly it was original. It was the black and gray colored spatter design burtex backed, which is in sync with what Scott has outlined here. No sewn corners, by the way, just sort of molded to be form fitting to the shape of the trunk. Does anyone else have a car they feel still has the original mat that they want to add to this? Thanks!

GTCSMustang

Hey murf104, did it have the cardboard trunk protectors too. Always cool to find those still in place.

Scott

OP
OP
M

murf104

yes, it had the cardboard trunk protectors still intack although scratched up quite a bit. One was out of place, lying in the trunk. I noticed that the little sharp screws had rubber protectors on them (4 of them and had four protectors) and three were grey and one was black. These screw protectors were not on my CS anymore, and they cannot be seen with the cardboard in place. innteresting.My friend purchased the car, so will be seeing more details when he returns on June 20 and brings it home.