• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2006+ Mustang GT/CS News

68gt390

This could make for very interesting conversation over the next few months. Will be interesting to see what actually transpires. Sounds like some exciting things are about to take place for the GT/CS community.

Don 8)

P

PNewitt

The downside to this--is that this might "kill" the publication of my 2005 Registry, as well as decals, etc.

I need to check this out.

It's ironic....Ford "didn't care" about this car and the name for over 35 years.

Paul N.

nfrntau

Paul,
If you had to couldn't you name your new book the same as your old book, revision 2005 or 2 or whatever?
Can it be copywrite infringement if you are already published prior to them doing this? I would think you would be grandfathered from the new copywrite.

P

PNewitt

I agree--you're right. The Boss 302, Shelby/SAAC people do it all the time.

I shot out some e-mails today to see what I can and can't do here.

We'll see what happens....

Thanks again for your support.

Paul N.

Canuck CSter

If this project is in the works, where and how Ford markets the California Special with its links to the original Shelbys will say volumes about are cars..

Should make for some good read'in and a few interesting emails...

Dale R ;)

case12

Paul, This is not legal advise, but I checked with an attorney where I work who is familiar with trademark law, and he did not see your book as a problem. Book titles are not usually a concern, but he offered that to be even more careful to have your title be more than just "California Special". Like you already have - "California Made It Happen - The California Special". This puts it in context of your writing "about" something, rather than "using" it. The decals are similar - with the word registry putting it in context.

As a note, trademark and copyrights are two different legal rights. Casey

P

PNewitt

I just got this book thing ironed out. No worries. More on that another time.

"IF" Ford makes a 2006+ GT/CS, then, yes, it WILL affect the values of ALL of your CS and HCS cars (hmmm....Ford failed to TM "HCS").

Anyway--I suggest that everyone restore their GT/CS in the next few years...that is, as an investment, just like the '67-'68 Shelbys.

Yes--it will be interesting to see what happens if and when it a late model version comes out. Think of it--people will say "YOU have an ORIGINAL GT/CS"???

Making the new version will bring attention on the originals.

Paul N.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1443;start=0#msg8401 date=1109883626]
I just got this book thing ironed out. No worries. More on that another time.

"IF" Ford makes a 2006+ GT/CS, then, yes, it WILL affect the values of ALL of your CS and HCS cars (hmmm....Ford failed to TM "HCS").

Anyway--I suggest that everyone restore their GT/CS in the next few years...that is, as an investment, just like the '67-'68 Shelbys.

Yes--it will be interesting to see what happens if and when it a late model version comes out. Think of it--people will say "YOU have an ORIGINAL GT/CS"???

Making the new version will bring attention on the originals.

Paul N.
[/quote]

anyone have a cherry CS for sale? ;D

rvrtrash

Hey Paul, you're right! They haven't even started making the new ones yet and mine is already drawing attention. I drove it to work for the first time and people were pulling up next to me on the freeway, rolling down their windows and asking me about it. ;D
Steve

PB gtcs

Folks, the site has had this discussion many times. The spread between the Shelbys and the GT/CS is too great in my opinion. And that is just what it is, my opinion. The market today does not say it is so. However, if Ford comes out with a new GT/CS, WOW, look out for the value of the origianals. Ford will certainly charge a premium. So, which would you rather have, new one or the "Original" for the same money?? To each their own, but, man I love our GT/CS. I am very glad we took it down to bare metal. To those that went the extra step to remain NOS, congrads, your pain at the cashier, will become joy later.

Paul, it seems to me that it will add further to the value of your books. How many folks will want to know the "history" of their cars when they buy an 06 CS?? I am not a marketing expert, but you may want to speak to Ford about a "version" of your book for the new 06 buyers. Or at least be certain you "own" the material you have out there so Ford cant have it for free.

Brian

P

PNewitt

Classic Car values can be really fickle. Just look at the trends and speculations at the Barrett-Jackson auctions on TV. Big block Camaros and Hemi 'Cuda's, and Superbirds going for six figures.

The GT-500-E cars are definately affecting the "67 Shelby GT-500 values, too. All it takes is something to "legitamatize" a car (like it being in a movie, or a cult following, or some speculation), and overnight, the values take off.

I'll always say that the GT/CS values will be in the shadows of the '68 Shelby, but if they do an '06 or '07, along with the Shelbys, why not increase the values of the originals? How many Saleens, Roush, etc., limited editions are there out there?? Besides--with the HUGE response (few GTs available) to the '05, I think it will be like 1965 all over again--for many years to come.

This is changing quickly. I think "we" as a group should preserve the marque, and proudly get ready for something bigger than we ever imagined.

Thanks for the advice and information regarding the legal side of my book. Today was an up-and-down-then-up day about this. The book is back on track...I think you all will like it when it's ready.

I really do think we, as a group, and with Jon's terrific website here, have outdone ourselves. I really think that our marque of classic Mustang has the best, and most friendly and informed following (but then again... I'm bias, of course) ::)

Paul N.

Mosesatm

Is it possible that this site and GT/CS owners in general have inadvertently kept the prices in the $15,000 range because we keep throwing that figure around?

I know I'm preaching to the choir but for the most part the only people who buy California Specials are people who know what they are and in our little community we don't seem to buy any that are $20,000 or more. Why? We know they are worth that much or more so what is the deal? And if the experts (us) won't spend big bucks for the cars we can't expect anyone else to spend any more. I'm looking for a car right now and I have a max of $17,500 in my head but maybe I should take my own advice and raise that number.

I can imagine someone looking to buy a GT/CS and checking this site to see what the value of the car is. The person might be willing and ready to spend $25,000 for a great car he's found but we quote our "generally around $15,000" line so he doesn't buy the car. If he'd spend the $25K the next one might go for $26,000 and so forth.

Again, I'm one of worst offenders of spreading the $15,000 rule on this board, but even if we don't give people a figure and tell them to research recent sales they still see an average of $15,000 on ebay and other sites. Of coure the new GT/CS will increase values but how much depends on whether it is marketed nation-wide or just in California. And waiting around for that to happen is risky.

I truly believe we control the value of these cars and as I see it we have 2 obvious choices:
1. leave the value where it is
2. raise the value by raising our spending limits

And I don't mean to create a false value for the cars like a few guys did with Ferraris 20 years ago. I'm just talking about spending as much to buy the cars as we want, and can afford, based on how badly we want them, not on the perceived accepted value.

Maybe we can start right after I buy mine!!!

P

PNewitt

I don't disagree wit h anything you're saying, but the value of these cars has a "base", which is probably the $15k number.

All it would take to change that number is:

--One appears in a Movie (i.e. Star Car")

--Someone buys one at an auction for $30-40K for some reason

--The value of all Mustangs and Shelbys somehow skyrocket.

The difficult part of this balance is that most people like finding one "cheap" to fix up and enjoy, and others with a lot of $$ put into them are hoping for high values for a sale.

I think one balances out the other--but I agree--it's the knowledge of what the car really is, and it's rarity and heritage that needs to be spread to car people--to really affect the value. if people want it bad enough, they'll pay for it.

If Ford does the '06 or '07 GT/CS, then EVERYONE will know about it, and will be asking about the original ones.

The value of any collectible is only as good as the level of positive memory the buyers want to relive by owning it. For example--Model T cars have lower value, because few now had or remember them. But Hemi Cuda's are big because of the movie "Vanishing Point" (and rarity).

Paul N.

390cs68rcode

OK, I paid $16500 for mine about 2.5 months ago. So there is my contribution to raise the 15k baseline.

Who's next?

;D

DJM75

I guess getting mine for free won't help raising the value much will it. ;D ;D
Don

WLM

I helped. I paid $19500 for my GT/CS, and glad to pay it. I owned 2 Shelbys within the last 4 years, a 66 350H, and a 67 GT500. I enjoy driving my GT/CS knowing it didn't cost what a house is worth!

DJM75

I just wish I had the money to afford a car that's worth as much as a house!! How do those Shelby's drive? I would love to be able to drive one!!
Don

[quote author=WLM link=board=1;threadid=1443;start=15#msg8493 date=1110132087]
I helped. I paid $19500 for my GT/CS, and glad to pay it. I owned 2 Shelbys within the last 4 years, a 66 350H, and a 67 GT500. I enjoy driving my GT/CS knowing it didn't cost what a house is worth!
[/quote]

Mosesatm

Look at that! We're already above a $17,000 sales average.

I know Jason's car is super low miles and all original so it could be considered an exception to the rule. But then, he also got a good deal on it so it kind of balances out.

WLM is yours a big block car, or does it have low miles, is there anything else about it that might would make it an exception also?

BTW, I'm willing to pay 20 for the right small block car. That'll kick our average even higher!

WLM

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1443;start=15#msg8502 date=1110209378]
Look at that! We're already above a $17,000 sales average.

I know Jason's car is super low miles and all original so it could be considered an exception to the rule. But then, he also got a good deal on it so it kind of balances out.

WLM is yours a big block car, or does it have low miles, is there anything else about it that might would make it an exception also?

BTW, I'm willing to pay 20 for the right small block car. That'll kick our average even higher!

[/quote]Mosesatm, My CS is a 302 4V, candy apple red, parchment deluxe interior, Bench seat, AC, power steering, power disc brakes, very good condition. I think it was well worth the price because it is so unique. I get more compliments and questions than any of the Shelbys (sold them), and I enjoy driving my CS more.
WLM