• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Beware of this CS on Ebay

390cs68rcode

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-CS-GT-390-1968-MUSTANG-CALIFORNIA-SPECIAL-GT-390-4SPD-SHAKER_W0QQitemZ4579747974QQcategoryZ6236QQssPageNameZWD6VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I talked to this person a few months ago about this car. I made him a offer and said I would like to see the VIN # to verify it is a CS. He never gave me the VIN and I told him I would take the car even if it was not a CS. He never contacted me. This car was for sale many times on Ebay along with 3 other cars he has. From all of those sales not one person has left him feedback. He is in Canada and said to me he needs cash quickly. If he needed cash then I am sure someone local would buy it for some price. It is a j code car from what he tells me.

Be very careful.

lupaa

Ya,

That's the one with the camaro back seat :)

It's been on quite a few times.

68sunlitgold

The picture of the rear seat is actually not from the Mustang, they mixed up the pictures with the other cars he has in the garage. Notice the rear windows (not mustang) and the front seats do not match the ones in the other pics. Somehow he just mixed up the back seat pics with the Mustang. But the car could still be a CS that had some front end damage and was redone by someone who did not know what was correct. But as Jason stated you would need the VIN # to confirm with a Marti report but if he is unwilling to do that then I would stay away.

Doug

hookedtrout

I have an interesting question that somewhat relates to this topic. If a person wasn't into the car collecting scene and didn't know a whole lot about it and had a classic car for sale and someone requested a vin # from him/her. Could that person put up a red flag thinking we (the buyer) were the crooks trying to get the vin from him for some bad reason. Sort of like trying to get someones SS# or Credit Card number? I've often wondered how those outside the loop of understanding the verification process would perceive this suggestion.

It may be that we need to approach this subject with outsiders in a manner that assures them our good intent.

I'm not implying that is the case with this vehicle but I know before I hung out here I'd be damn hard pressed to give any info out like that to someone I didn't know for fear they had bad intentions.

Just thinking aloud from someone elses shoes.

Cory

Mustanglvr

Most cars have the vin # on the dash. I could get the vin from pretty much any car I wanted, all I`d have to do is walk up and write it down. I really don`t think anybody could do anything with it, otherwise it would`nt be made so public like our license plate numbers are.

OP
OP
390cs68rcode

390cs68rcode

I would think anyone selling a car would think that a potential owner would ask for a VIN number for whatever reason if they did not know what the buyer was gonna do with it before the purchase.

In this case this guy knows why someone would ask for a VIN.

68sunlitgold

I see both sides of this story. I agree with Hook that maybe someone is hesitant to give out a VIN #, but as Jason stated if you tell the reason, ie Marti report, then it should be no problem. Or, they could do the leg work themselves and save alot of hassle by getting a report. If they did not know about the availablity of the report and are still hesitant, then tell them to get it and confirm it.

Bottom line, people who are sell classic cars need to know what they are selling and without written documentation on authenticity many potential buyers may hesitate to buy. Let's see, spend $20 on a piece of paper to make potentially over $10,000. It's a no brainer.

Doug

68MustangHCS

[quote author=lupaa link=board=1;threadid=2194;start=0#msg14926 date=1128351450]
Ya,

That's the one with the camaro back seat :)

It's been on quite a few times.
[/quote]

I think the back seat photo is from another car. It shows the same seats for the front and different rear side panels. It seems to be mixed in with the mustang photos. It seems the car actually has mustang seats if you look at the dash photos. If you look at the different photos for the car, the car has head rests on it's seats...that photo you mention doesn't.

nfrntau

I have never heard of any one being hesitant to release a vin # when selling a car. If I were not selling and somebody asked fo mine then I can see a lot of hesitancy.
In this case Jason is correct. This guy knows why people are asking and doesn't want to share this information. Red Flags here. I can only see one reason why someone wouldn't want to give a potential buyer a means to verify authenticity.