• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

The body work has started

-=MUSTANG=-

After taking the car apart, having it media blasting, and 1.2 million other things, the metal replacement has started. After that it's on to the rotisserie for prep and paint. My goal is a running car mostly done by Dreamcruise.

P

PNewitt

How cool. This is awesome.

(ONLY 1.2 million other things?)

Can I use this photo in my new book? (send me an e-mail).

I'm always interested in photos of restorations of GT/CS cars.

Paul N.

OP
OP
M

-=MUSTANG=-

Ok, maybe 1.3m things :D. The excitement level is off the chart. I've been organizing parts and writing down the plan of attack, even sold my tricked out 2000 GT ragtop to expedite this restoration. I'll be sure to post pictures as the car hits certain milestones.

Jayscal

How is the suspension and the steering? Are you going to replace all that stuff too?

OP
OP
M

-=MUSTANG=-

After all the metal work is done. The suspension will come off and the car will go on the rotisserie. I am going to take the front and rear suspension home to rebuild and paint everything. There will be about 5 weeks to finish all the suspension components before the body work and paint is done. Then it is off the rotisserie back on the rebuilt suspension and on the trailer home. Yahooooooo

classicsguy

Just curious: Is Dreamcruise a Mustang restoration shop?
Where are they located?
Thanks

OP
OP
M

-=MUSTANG=-

classicguy,

Sorry for the confusion, I should've chosen my words better. I meant to convey that the car hopefully will be running by the time the Woodward Dreamcruise rolls around in August. I've lived within a few miles of woodward my entire life, locally the whole weekend is just called the Dreamcruise.

Jay

jc68gtcs

Hail to the mighty Woodward DreamCruise.. I know I'll be there with my new CS... I'm selling my Nextel Cup tickets for this one..

PB gtcs

Mustang, just curious, is your car still naked from the media blasting? Please be careful as rust begins almost immediately after media blast. Should have a spray of self etching primer applier to the bare metal to keep it rust free. Yes, its more work/expense, but it is real inconvenient when the first coat of primer goes on and it won't stick or does and then falls off later.

Please let us know if we can be of any help as you move through your project. Wish you good luck and happy endings.

Brian

OP
OP
M

-=MUSTANG=-

Brian,

Not only is that bare metal you're looking at, it has been that way since October. :(

This bare metal situation has had me calling my friend Pat many a time. He is the guy doing the body work and has assured me it will be okay to have the car that way for a few months. He said after the metal has been cut out and repaired, the exterior panels get DA'd and then an etching primer is sprayed on the entire car. After that I want a red oxide primer (DP74) sprayed to duplicate the underbody look of a stock mustang.

Does this all sound correct?

Jay

rvrtrash

I would have sprayed the epoxy primer immediately to protect the body. By the way Paul and Brian, if you guys are still looking for a Tiger project, there is one on Ebay right now with 5 days left that is currently at $7200 and kind of in your area.
Steve

OP
OP
M

-=MUSTANG=-

Steve,

Thanks for the tip. ;) a lagging question of mine is whether or not I can still apply the self etching primer at this stage or will additional prep work be needed. Any answers?

PB gtcs

Mustang, here is the story that was given to me. In retrospect, it makes sense. The metal goes through the media blast process. It opens the pores of the metal. The metal will corode quickly, but as well, anytime you touch it or the metal comes in contact with oil, that oil will inbed itself into the open pores. So, what to do? If it were mine (the great qualification) befor I would ever put any primer on I would use a liberal dose of good quality degreaser. This will not be easy as I remember the surface is rather ruff to the feel.

Remember a degreaser works quickly, its wipe on, wipe off. The degreaser "foats" the oils where they can be wiped away. So, liberal amount, then wipe quickly. The degreaser will then dry on its own. I would probably apply degreaser 2-3 times to make certain that one would get all of the grease off the surface. If not, 6 months from the final paint job, while the car is sitting out in the sun enjoying a wonderful car show, the oils left in the metal will decide it needs to see the surface. Thus, the dreaded fish eye or worse.

Now, that from a guy who has done this only a few times and is really parinoid about grease on a to be painted surface. We went three days after our media blast and got scared.

Brian