• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 running and missing

green56

need help replaced plugs, wires, coil, points&condensor distrib, now carb an d still have problems at idle it runs rough runs good then starts to miss then levels out then does the same thing when you put it in park and rev engine and listen to exhaust you can hear it like missing or a low poping sound like back fireing I had one person say it could be your roller rockers i am at a loss change jets on carb could it be the cam shaft? I am getting to the point of seling car love it but it is just getting to much I just took best of show at a car show the 10 of Sept but now i am layed up just had knee surgery the 22nd But any help would do Tom From WI

robert campbell

Tom,
I would love to help you, but from afar it is very hard. To me it is just carb adjustment and maybe some timing change. I wish you were in my area....

Rob

Ruppstang

He has changed carbs and has the exact same symptoms, seems unlikely the carb is the problem. As you said Rob it is tough figuring this stuff out from afar.

66hcs-conv

Spray the carb cleaner along the "rubber" vacuum lines also. Those lines get old & cracked. There are probably vacuum lines to the vacuum advance on the distributor, the auto trans and the power brake booster (if you have power brakes).

CougarCJ

Start with the basics:

Most all modern cams use the 351W firing order, not the vintage 289/302 firing order.

OP
OP
G

green56

running& missing

Have to hold off for now just had surgery on my left knee just got home Sat so i printed out what to check on when i get back on my feet before the snow flys they replaced the whole knee not part . I wish their was some one that lived in the area that could help but i want to thank every one who is trying to help but how do you check if the cam shaft if it has a bad lob Thanks Tom WI

CougarCJ

Have to hold off for now just had surgery on my left knee just got home Sat so i printed out what to check on when i get back on my feet before the snow flys they replaced the whole knee not part . I wish their was some one that lived in the area that could help but i want to thank every one who is trying to help but how do you check if the cam shaft if it has a bad lob Thanks Tom WI

Get well soon my GT/CS friend. Have known a lot of people that have had that surgery.

OP
OP
G

green56

running & missing

you talk about the lob an the cam shaft but how do you check this could it be in the roller rockers being the wrong size?