• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Opinions needed: building my first set of tools for the garage

ahainline

Midnight Special

...Well, you're off to a great start. How'bout things like gap & feeler gauges, volt meter, oil filter wrench, gear puller(s) torque wrench, electrical repair kit w/ wire stripper/crimpers, compression tester ... plus spare things like hose clamps, vacuum plugs & tubing and any other common parts that come in handy during late-nite diagnosis when the parts houses are closed ;-) I also keep alot spare tune-up parts & gaskets etc... in my toolbox.

You can really go nuts! But it depends on whether you are doing maintenance or major refurb... Oh! Jack stands - Never get under a car without them!

franklinair

You can't go wrong with Craftsman tools. Good quality & guarantee. Just add as you go along. Their shop vac is worth having, too.
Neil Hoppe

68gt390

I'd definitely invest in a good "Air Compressor" and some good air tools. I can't count the number of times I've used mine and not just to air up the tires.

Don :cool:

franklinair

I've purchased pneumatic tools from NORTHEN TOOLS. They're not too expensive, and with light use (as opposed to commercial) they last a long time. Same for a Campbell-Hausfield air compressor (mine survived hurricane Andrew - litteraly floated in my flooded garage!). (My '68 Mustang convert was safely stored in a warehouse at the time.)
Neil Hoppe

BroadwayBlue

OK, I am officially putting together my first set of tools and wanted opinions of what you guys think are the must have tools to work on the Stang etc?? Here is what I picked up last night just to get me started.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00933263000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Sets&sbf=Clearance
and
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...e+&+Tool+Storage&sName=Chest+&+Cabinet+Combos

I know these are pretty basic but I am just getting started so give me a break lol.
Thanks guys

Tony,
I started out with almost the same exact things you bought on clearance from Sears. I got a similar deal. It is a great start!

I've also purchased from Northern Tools and have been happy.

Diesel Donna

<~~~~~What Bob and Neil said exactly! I have all Craftsman tools, air compressor, and thanks for the reminder that I need a new shop vac!

I like Northern Tools too!

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

thanks for all the great advice.. I think my next purchase will be the air compressor, how big should I go? along with that is the shop vac and jack stands. thanks again for all the great ideas.

franklinair

Air Comp. = 2 to 2 1/2 HP should be adequate.
Jack Stands = Don't skimp, get Hvy Duty (better safe than sorry)
Shop Vac. = 5 Gal Wet/Dry (shop the sales, Sears, Lowes, etc.)

Are we helping you spend your $$$ fast enough!?

Neil

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Air Comp. = 2 to 2 1/2 HP should be adequate.
Jack Stands = Don't skimp, get Hvy Duty (better safe than sorry)
Shop Vac. = 5 Gal Wet/Dry (shop the sales, Sears, Lowes, etc.)

Are we helping you spend your $$$ fast enough!?

Neil

lol plenty fast enough.. I am already about $600 in the hole and building fast. I kept trying to justify it to the girlfriend telling her that things like this last a lifetime but she just chalks it up to me being a man lol. I told her to go buy some clothes and shoes that she wont be wearing in a year and leave me alone lol

Diesel Donna

I tell you, if I ever get married again, I want my bridal registry at Sears and Lowes. Oh, Harbor Freight is good too! And hey! I never had a girly girl shower/party thing in my life...should I just throw one for myself? Housewarming/car chick/before I die, painting party? Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm outta here.

carezcs

You should also get a good 3 ton floor jack if you don't have one. I don't like hydraulic bottle jacks to get a car up on the jack stands.
Bruce

case12

Bruce, or anyone - when working under your CS up on jackstands, where do you place your front jackstands (for safety). I want to use all 4 at once for detailing and leave the car that way over the winter, but never sure the best place to put the front two for max safety (kids in the garage, etc).

Casey

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Bruce, or anyone - when working under your CS up on jackstands, where do you place your front jackstands (for safety). I want to use all 4 at once for detailing and leave the car that way over the winter, but never sure the best place to put the front two for max safety (kids in the garage, etc).

Casey

Good question.. I always wondered the same :grin:

robert campbell

I use the frame rails forward of the suspension that your forward inner engine compartment panels attach to. I have also used the frame rails behind the front tires, but you should be careful. They can be dented if you are rough with them. I have seen many a Mustang with jack marks in this area. floor jacks and jack stands can be had with nylon/rubber pads. A good investment to save the frame and not marr the paint.

The more forward point on the car on the frame rail is the safest IMO.

I am all Craftsman. I love my complete tap and die set for chasing bolts with the metric add on for some of my newer stuff. Every shop needs these to clean up threads.

I love my parts washer and have all the other items list by this thread. A sturdy vice is a must. 1/4 drive stuff is so handy for those tight places. Deep well sockets for all drives. Fitting wrenches for all those brake lines. And I love my open end wrenches with a swival socket on the other. I use the crap out of those guys. Very handy.

Rob

Midnight Special

Casey

...What Rob said, but consider going to assembed (tuned) wooden blocks as opposed to the metal stands...