• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

302 Block to 347 guts?

miller511

Hi all,

Have any of you rebuilt your 289/302 block to a 347 (David?) From an article in a past issue of Mustang Monthly, it looks like there is (or could be) a clearance issue with the piston bore skirts at the bottom and the crank. Has any of you folks done the "grinding away" yourselves of the skirts to clear the interference issue? If so, what tool did you use.

In case you're wondering, I haven't done anything with it yet ;-)

Still on the fence with rebuilding the current block to either a 302 again or a 347. Or just biting the bullet and going the crate engine route.

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Jeff

davidathans

the block does have to be machined for the 347 crank/rods for clearance. I did not do this myself, so i cannot tell you what tool to use, but i will ask my mechanic. You might want to consider a 331 stroker...that would put you about the size of the new 07 shelby displacement of 5.4L(330ci) instead of 5.7L..with the 331 stroker you'll have a more rev happy engine.

davidathans

Hey Jeff i just saw that your in CA...B&D racing built my 347 stroker...so you might want to give them a call and ask them about this issue yourself...talk to Brian at (818) 992-FAST. These guys really know what they are doing...im more than 1HP per Cubic inch out of mine, i think they did a hell of a great job...if im losing 25% to the ground with the C4, torque conv, 9inch, heavy wheels, then im making about 500HP at the engine, carbureted.