• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Wiper motor replacement

Jayscal

One of the few original parts on my car is the wiper motor. I dread getting caught in a downpour, because even on the fast speed the motor doesn't swipe the wipers very quickly. I would eventually like to replace this unit in the sake of safety. The issue is its seems buried in the back of the under the dash. I have had my cluster out and its hard to get at it. Has anyone replaced one of these motors?

nfrntau

You might check out Rain-X. The stuff really works well. You might find you don't mind the slow wipers. (for as often as you drive it in the rain)
Try it on your dialy driver, wait for rain or have someone spray the window with a hose.

OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Rain-X works great, but I still want to replace that tired 38 year old wiper motor.

Perkchiro

Jay: I think you've got a major job ahead. if you have a center console, you'll need to remove the upright portion along with your radio and ashtray. You'll have to work around or remove your ducting to your air vents to expose the motor. It's mounted in a frame as I recall. You'll have to diconnect the motor from the articulating arms and unbolt the motor, disconnect the wiring. Oh, and remember to diconnect the battery before you do all of this. I would pre-purchase the motor and have it ready to put back in. I recall it being just a two wire hook up.

I did this recentlly when I reassembled my dash, so I'm just recalling it from memory. You might want to look at an assembly manual. I've got a book as well as a CD that helped me a lot. Good luck with this project.

harryz

Wiper mechanism bushings

To expand this thread a little... the mechanism for my wipers seems to have a lot of slop in it. My expectation is to see the wipers work pretty much in unison - i.e. the driver's side and passenger side wiper reaching the top of their movement and starting the down stroke at the same time. On my car, one of them seems to lag behind the other one. I'm assuming this is not normal and that the bushings in the mechanism are worn.

Any idea where I can get new bushings? And are they difficult to install (if I can find them)?

Thanks,

Harry Z.

PFSlim

It is not a bad job if you are willing to take the dash pad out, instrument cluster, dash pieces, etc. Just need to spend alittle time on your head!! However, end result, (glad it is you and not me!!)

Good luck!

Paul