• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Rear View Mirror

OP
OP
L

LUVMYCS

Perkchiro said:
I know you can fix those foggy mirrors. I took mine apart and took it to a mirror shop and had it re-glazed. It isn't perfect, but it's original, looks good and is functional. You have to be careful when you remove the mirror from the mirror holder as to not break it. The same is true when you replace it. If your vinyl is faded from the sun, re-dying with a vinyl dye works great and is available from most mustang suppliers.

Steve in Missouri

Steve- What is the trick to removing the mirror from the holder? Isn't it glued in place?

Perkchiro

Yep, but after 38 years, the glue is pretty brittle. I carefully pulled the vinyl mirror surround from one end of the mirror. I used a smooth flat and narrow putty knife under the mirror to separate it from the holder. Take your time and be careful so as to not break the glass. Good luck!!!!

Steve in Missouri

PFSlim

Steve

I tried to pull one apart and broke it. Wished I had this tread before I began that project. I ended up with a repop from NPD.

Paul

CalGal68

Midnight Special said:
Perhaps, but this is a San Jose car. I'm curious now if any other GT/CS - HCSs have this lever type mirror.

Tim, my GT/CS's mirror is identical to yours, as close as I can tell. Right to left lever, wider at the bottom. I was under the impression there is no '68 correct repro being made (?), but NPD's bracket is correct.