• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Progress on my car

StraightSix

;D Well, the 3-point seat belts are installed!! FYI, if you want to do this you need 11' belts like the ones found here:

www.julianos.com/3_point_belt.html

They work great! The 8' belts some places sell are too short for the '67-68 Mustang. I ordered them first and they didn't fit.

Disappointingly, my carb has some massive fuel leak somewhere. I rebuilt it a few months back and it worked great (except for idling a bit high because I hadn't adjusted it yet). Then when I went to pull the Mustang out of the garage to do the seat belts this weekend, it was very hard to start and wouldn't stay running. Opening the hood, I saw that the entire carb and top of the engine was drenched in gasoline :eek: I'm talking *pools* of it sitting in the hollows beside the intake manifold (6cyl). Not good.

I'm accepting defeat at the moment and have arranged to send the carb to Pony Carbs for professional rebuilding. In the meantime, I'm going to make sure it's not a leak in the fuel line. I've heard good things about Pony Carbs... anyone have any experience with them?

-Winston

I had both my "D"-code carburetor and the CS carburetor rebuilt by Pony Carbs. The CS remains dead, so I don't know how good of a job was done--it LOOKS great, tho. But I slapped the "D" carburetor back on and the car fired right up. Runs excellent. The only "bad" thing I can say is that the rebuilds and concourse plating were $pendy...but you get what you pay for! ;) I'd definitely use them again.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I had them rebuild a 200 cid carb once and really liked it. I had them do a little performance tuning on it too! ;D

I know, I know...sounds stupid with a 6 cyl, but it made a vast difference in performance and with the torquey little 6 it was a fun car to drive.

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Yeah, they can do that for you! I believe that the '67 venturi is a bit better (emissions laws started to kick in in '68) on the 1100 carb, so they'll swap one of those in for you. There may be other stuff that they can do, I dont' know. There's a whole group of folks that know about hopping up a 200 CID I6:

www.fordsix.com

I think I am going to stick with a normal rebuild in order to maintain originality. I have another engine that I'll be hopping up for a different car (289 V8). Anyone ever heard of the "Locost" Lotus 7 clones? Obviously, I have too many projects ::)

-Winston

RacingFan

Great update! How hard were the 3 point belts to install? I have considered them for my stang. Did you use the original shoulder belt point on the roof?

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Thanks! They are actually quite simple to install. Yes, I did use the factory shoulder mounting nut. It is recommended that you reinforce that nut (it's really just spot welded onto some thin sheet metal. I did not do this, however, as I don't yet have a welder and I didn't want to rip out the headliner. If/when I do a total restoration, I'll weld an additional plate in that area. For now, I think it's safe enough given the amount of time the car will be driven. The size of the bolt is 3/8x18 and you'll need it to be about an inch and a half long.

For the retractor section of the belt, you just drill through the plug in the floor pan and mount using the L-shaped brackets provided in the complete kit.

The buckle section of the belts are attached using the existing nuts on the transmission tunnel.

Here's an article that helped me a lot with visualizing how these things went in:

http://home.pacifier.com/~dnstoys/seatbelt.htm

Beware though! The belts that are now offered by Southern Rods and Parts are the 8' ones and are too short! These are what I ordered first.

If anybody has questions about the specifics of the install, please feel free to ask.

-Winston

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Hey Winston, do you still have the shorter belts? Want to sell them? I think they may fit another project I'm working on. Email me if you still have them.

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

Figured out what was wrong

After much puzzlement and trying to *push* my Mustang back into the garage, I decided to pop the hood again last night to try and solve my starting problem. Lo and behold, I spotted a stray hose not too far from the carburetor -- a vacuum line, to be specific. Upon clipping off the end (it was badly cracked) and connecting it back onto the carburetor, she fired right up! :D

The stray hose should have been more obvious given the amount of open space I have under the hood, but I don't think it was disconnected the whole time. If you recall, the car had originally started but struggled to keep running. I think the hose was still on at that point, but was losing vacuum because of the crack. I must have dislodged the hose during one of the several times I took the air cleaner off, or during the gasoline cleanup process.

Either way, I'm still sending the carb off to be rebuilt -- it needs it. I'm just happy to get the 'Stang back in the garage, under cover!

-Winston

Talan423

i had a similar problem with my carb. (pools of gas forming on my intake) due to the fuel pouring out of the top of the carb. i took it off and had a relative who is a mechanic take a look at it. as he started taking it apart he found chunks of rust inside of it. we came to the conclusion that it was from the inside of my fuel lines. they were rusting from the inside out and sending the rust into the carb., where it clogged everything up and wouldn't let the fuel into the intake. i replaced my fuel lines and he cleaned up the carb. and haven't had a problem since.

OP
OP
S

StraightSix

That's a good thing for me to check into... I have no idea what condition the insides of the fuel lines are in. How much money/work is replacing the fuel lines?

-Winston