• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Triple "B's" Garage

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Another visitor to the "clinic". This is a 1968 Vert with the GT option and deluxe interior in Parchment. It has AC, PS, and PDB's. It is going to the pain shop next week. The Owner has done the engine and tranny and the complete suspension front to rear with new exhaust and great cleaning and detailing. It heads to the alignment shop today. After paint a complete interior refreshment will be done. Owner is going with Acapulco Blue and keeping the Parchment interior color.

The reason it came was it ran like doo doo. Would barley idle, would not shift out of first, and the brakes self applied. It had a Autolite 4300 on it, but the owner wanted an Edelbrock 500 conversion. This car fell to the wrong gasket under the PCV spacer debacle. The gasket is a Mr. Gasket 55 and it is not wide enough. Very common way to get a tremendous air leak. I told them that I could dial the 4300 in, but they wanted the dependability of the Edelbrock. Picture below.

Tranny problem was traced to a plugged vacuum port on the manifold that feeds the vacuum modulator on the tranny. She shifts like butter now.

I was a bit skeptical on the brakes as the owner had bought a Bendix booster and Master cylinder with separate purchases. Sometimes a recipe for disaster. We removed the Midland Ross and ols master and installed the new set and it works just fine! Lucky us. He will send the Midland Ross assemble to West Coast Classic Cougars for a complete rebuild. It may go back in someday.

The engine idles great now and runs super. The electric choke is dialed in and the owners says I am a miracle worker!! Not!!! And all of this for 200 bucks my labor. What a deal!!

By the way, I need to talk to Neil about that pesky AC brace bar that goes back to the aft end of the manifold. Some creative "adjustment" was necessary to clear the Edelbrock carb!!

Rob

franklinair

Mr Gasket carb gasket: Been there, done that. DO NOT USE.
Compressor Brace: Get rid of it. Ford eliminated them- superfluous. (Folks with '65 & '66 A/C cars are always looking for them.)

(I exercised my visitation rights today @ the body shop. Photos will be on my Black CS thread.)

Neil

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Dad,
Well, it is a universal Autolite/Edelbrock brace that clears either now!!

Can't wait to see the Black GT/CS update!! How are you coming along sourcing that 5 speed for it!! Remember if you sell it, it maybe just what that new owner wants!!

Son

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

New bullet for my friends son's 1967 4 speed Fairlane hard top. New 289 short block topped with Edelbrock "E" Street aluminum heads. These heads will support up to .550 lift and come with either 2.02 or 1.90 diameter intake valves. At $928 dollars for the pair it almost negates rebuilding your old stuf these days. Installed with Cometic .027 crush head gaskets they will keep the compression similar to stock, but create a lot more HP. You do need to buy the Edelbrock spacers that allow use of the 289/302 7/16 inch head bolts. While you are at it buck up for some new ARP head bolts as yours have been torqued and stretched you do no know how many times.

Ancient Edelbrock F4B aluminum intake and 600 dual inlet double pump will top the intake side off. Cam is an COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kit CL31-242-3

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl31-242-3/overview/make/ford

Here is a link to the heads:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-5023/overview/make/ford

We are running this through port matched Hipo 289 cast iron manifolds. This combination should make 350 HP easily. The Xtreme series cams use the latest in lobe ramp and lifter technology to provide superior power while creating a strong vacuum signal. I took this engine up one step in the Xtreme series as it is a 4 speed car.

Our first spring cruise night is set for April 4th! If the weather will smile, the Black Beast will make its deput!!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

New bullet in the 1967 Fairlane 4 speed car. Runs awesome and makes great power. It will get this 600 CFM vacuum secondary Holley replace by a dual inlet double pump mechanical secondary Holley carb shortly. Still a couple quirks to work out.

Rob

rvrtrash

Looks really nice Rob! Makes me want to get busy on the '69 again.

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Look at what wandered into Rob’s shop! This is a Superformance A/C Cobra that is built in South Africa. Superformance is the premier builder of A/C Cobra kits and the car is faithful to the dimensions of the original. They are so nice that Carroll Shelby has allowed them to be licensed under the Shelby name. Not sure what that means, but they reek of quality. The come as a complete wired, painted, and assembled rolling chassis with new owner to provide the engine and transmission only. I have known of this company for many years. Below is a link to their site and the tour of the “factory” page will support the reason for the quality.

http://www.superformance.com/default.aspx

This car is powered by an older Ford Crate 351 Windsor stroked to 392 cubic inches. Backed by a TKO 5 speed it is a nice package. This is kinda why it ended up in my shop. It was shipped to the Hampton’s in New York and a local facility installed the engine and tranny and got it on the road. The new owner purchased it with about 1,500k miles on it and lives near my shop.

The new owner complained of it being a bit sluggish, hard starting, and running rich. Top of the carb was black and sooty on both the primary’s and secondary’s. I baselined the settings on the carb, vacuum signal, and timing. Fortunately, it is similar to my new 351 stroked to 460 Crate Motor in Val’s car. The timing marks are etched into a chrome damper and very hard to see. I put a timing tape on my engine that is very easy to see. And there are many grids around it for different types of tuning or valve adjustment. Short story long (hey its rob) the initial installer had completely missed the timing marks or the original owner or someone in New York moved it. The engine was set at about 5 degrees BTDC. The MSD dizzy was set up with the proper short curve for the centrifugal advance at around 15 degrees total at about 3,000 rpm. The engine at 3,000 rpm or all in struggled to reach 20 degrees of total advance. What any easy fix. Spun her forward to 14 degrees and then to 18 degrees initial and now have around 34 degrees total just like my motor. Whoooo boy did I wake up a beast!! I took this car for a short drive and it is a lethal weapon. It is rated at 450 HP which is very close to what the original 427 A/C Cobra was rated at.

The original installer also improperly installed the dual return spring mechanism and the Superformance top cabin throttle assembly was miss-adjusted. This caused the carb to not completely shut when hot. Someone prior to the new owner had even installed a “cheesy” bracket under the dash and installed a spring to try and assist in closing the throttle to hot idle rpm via the gas pedal. A simple adjustment coupled with the properly installed return spring setup cured all of this. Hate to say it but the initial installer was not very talented in the setup of the engine.

Dialed in his electric choke and this car starts first time and runs like a top now! Owner is very happy with his new car!! It is a hoot to drive but a bit awkward with the left of center pedal location under the dash. They need some getting used to

Rob

franklinair

Be careful, Son. If you keep turning out winners your reputation will grow, and you'll find yourself working full time. :wink:

Dad

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Dad,
Full time for me is about 4 hours a day! On a good day maybe 5 or 6. Makes it manageable and as long as I turn it off in the Summer, your son is very happy! But in the Winter I am lost without a project to tinker on!!

Rob

p51

... New 289 short block topped with Edelbrock "E" Street aluminum heads. These heads will support up to .550 lift and come with either 2.02 or 1.90 diameter intake valves. At $928 dollars for the pair it almost negates rebuilding your old stuff these days.

Rob

Sounds like you feel that the Edelbrock E-street heads are a good way to go for some increased hp on a stock short block... so a couple of questions.

(1) What is you opinion of this Edelbrock top end kit (which includes the E-street heads w/1.90 intake)?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2027

(2) What is the tradeoff between the heads with 2.02 vs 1.90 intake valves? Which set did you use?

(3) Different topic - did you consider putting EFI on this build?

Thanks
James

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

James,
The top end kit was enticing, but it came with stuff we did not want and stuff we did. I am a big fan of the Comp Cams Xtreme Energy cams to get good power and keep the vacuum signal with a manageable idle. As this was a 4 speed car I went for a slightly more aggressive cam. He has an old Edelbrock F4B aluminum intake.

I went back and forth with the owner on the 2.02 vice 1.90 Intake valve. He wants this car to be a cruiser more than looking for all out power. Also, he is using cast iron HIPO exhaust manifolds. The short block is basically a stock 10.1 build. With this in mind I told him that 5,500 rpm is about tops for longevity. Based on all the above I felt the 1.90 would provide better torque throughout the range than the 1.90. May of may not be true. He plans on building a wild car in the future, so we made this one a bit more mellow. I did tell him that if he wished to go to long tube headers and more RPM the 2.02 would be a better choice.

These heads IMO make rebuilding of stock Ford heads fruitless unless you are a concurs person, or have a cheap head rebuilder. The power gains and weight savings far outweigh the cost savings one might get over a complete head rebuild. Most extensive stock stuff rebuilds in my area easily approach 700 to 800 bucks.

Did not think about FI for this build. We are replacing the 1850 Holley with a new 4776 dual inlet double pump this weekend. There goes any gas mileage we may have had!!

Rob

p51

...I went back and forth with the owner on the 2.02 vice 1.90 Intake valve. He wants this car to be a cruiser more than looking for all out power. Also, he is using cast iron HIPO exhaust manifolds. The short block is basically a stock 10.1 build. With this in mind I told him that 5,500 rpm is about tops for longevity. Based on all the above I felt the 1.90 would provide better torque throughout the range than the 1.90. May of may not be true. He plans on building a wild car in the future, so we made this one a bit more mellow. I did tell him that if he wished to go to long tube headers and more RPM the 2.02 would be a better choice...

Rob

Thanks for the insight! Sorta sounds what I would like to do as well - a cruiser with a little more zip than stock (~300hp), good idle, 5500 rev limit, "stoplight-to-stoplight" fun. Starting off with a 10.1 302 as well. Just thinking/planning right now (planning is half the fun and definitely the cheapest part :) Swapping out the top end with a kit "that just works out of the box" is about where I stand in terms of ability. I'd really like to find a kit that also allows an upgrade to link-bar roller lifters (roller lifters just seem to me to be a much more elegant solution).

Thanks again
James

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Roller cam and lifters plus roller rockers. ABSOLUTELY! Better vacuum signal and more power. Downside is cost, but what the heck, you only live once!!

I would buy the heads only and shop for the rest. I would like to help!! I like to spend other peoples money. Especially after I burned through 15k last Fall!!

With the heads and the roller stuff, what exhaust enhancements are you thinking about? If you go to shorty's or long tubes, then go with the 2.02 intakes.

Rob

p51

Roller cam and lifters plus roller rockers. ABSOLUTELY! Better vacuum signal and more power. Downside is cost, but what the heck, you only live once!!

I would buy the heads only and shop for the rest. I would like to help!! I like to spend other peoples money. Especially after I burned through 15k last Fall!!

With the heads and the roller stuff, what exhaust enhancements are you thinking about? If you go to shorty's or long tubes, then go with the 2.02 intakes.

Rob

I was thinking of initially keeping the stock exhaust manifolds but later changing to tri-Y headers (hey, they were good enough for Shelby) but I don't know if they would clear the z-bar for the T5... but all this is just thinking at this point. The next $s I spend (if any) would likely be on EFI. My car is running fine as is... I just get antsy to do something :wink:

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Call Stan Johnson of Ford Powertrain Applications. His headers are the best of the best.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm

He has tri Y's and 4 tube step tube headers and they tuck up nice a tight. Do call him and talk to him a bit. He can tell you where you may have fitment issues, if any, and solutions if there are. the headers on my crate motor in the 67 Fastback are prototype for the new high port "Z" Ford head. He built them to custom fit this application and now he has a design for any Mustang wit the new series of Ford Crate motors based on the 351 Boss block.

Do call him as his web page does not contain all the designs he has.

Boy, the change over to a hydraulic clutch is so easy and nice:

http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Hydraulics-c25.htm

Bruce and I worked out a solution for the Fastback using the Tildon hydraulic throw out bearing. I love it!. It is clean, easy on the leg, and allows for elimination of that icky Z Bar that are so much fun to fit in with headers. Modern Driveline has a solution for any tranny you wish to use.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Customer 1965 Mustang Coupe at the "clinic". Former customer that wanted the backup lights fixed and a shifter rebuild. Nice little coupe that runs a drives like new. Stock 2 barrel 289 and automatic. Cool Black paint the changes color in the sun to purples and such. Talked him into the GT exhaust that is one of my most favorite exhaust exits on a car in all the world. More on the Fastback on the lift later.

Lots of black cars in the "clinic" these days!

Rob

clubpro

Rob,

I agree with you on the GT dual exhaust. There's nothing better than those two exhaust tips sticking out of the valance. The black fastback needs some gold Lemans stripes. I also love your garage. Once I get my insurance settlement from my accident there will be a similar garage/shop in my back yard. I have had the spot picked out ever since I bought the place 13 years ago.

Cheers!

Ron

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Ron,
I would be lost without my garage! If I get up and there are no projects out there I am also lost. I love to tinker and the cars just keep coming in!!

You will love yours!!

Rob