• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Tandem Garage

Mosesatm

I'm playing around with the idea of converting my normal 2-car garage into a tandem garage - just in case I need the extra stall in the future.:wink:

I'm trying to minimize the depth of the garage and I have plenty of room for stuff along the walls and in the 4th bay, but it still looks like the garage needs to be at least 36' deep. And, of course, that doesn't allow room for an engine lift or other stuff in front of the car.

Does anyone have a tandem garage or shop who can offer some advice?

Thanks

Attachments

• Tandem Garage (1000x773).jpg
    Tandem Garage (1000x773).jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Tandem Garage.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 27

rvrtrash

Arlie, I've looked at houses with tandem garages, and the thing that always strikes me is that you would have to play musical cars to get to the one in the back. Since you'd be building 3 walls anyway, and pouring a new foundation and floor for the addition, can I suggest just building a small shop in your backyard. I can't remember how much room you have on the south side of your house to access it, but if there's enough, it would simplify your life. Another option is a storage unit. They used to be about $65 a month for a car sized one, at least over here. You could store a car for 10 years and still be cheaper that adding on to the front of your garage.

Steve

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Steve,
My house sits way back on the lot so I have a large front yard and a small back yard. There just isn't room for a shop back there.

I also looked at making the garage wider but it would be a little on the narrow side and expanding that way would be very expensive.

The tandem option is certainly not optimal but it's the only option I see, unless I move. Maybe get an acre out of town!