• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

gt/cs weight

BrandonB

About how heavy are GT/CS' I am curious becuase I have heard 2,300 lbs. all the way to 3,200 lbs. and I cant find it on the net...

68sunlitgold

Brandon,
standard weight for a coupe with 6 cylinder was 2696, and I would imagine you could add 150 lbs for a V8. Now also remember that all the fiberglass weighted less than metal, so I would venture a guess around 2700-2800 lbs for the GT/CS, but not over 3000 lb.
Doug

rvrtrash

It'll be interesting if someone could weigh theirs. I would've bet the weight would be about the same. My guess is that offsetting the weight savings of the trunk lid would be the weight of the added spoiler, taillight panel, heavier taillights and side scoops. By the end of the week, I should have all my parts in one place and could weigh them, along with a stock trunk lid and extensions but the whole car is in pieces so I couldn't give a total and I don't have a set of stock taillights.
Steve

rvrtrash

OK, here's the drill. I weighed my parts on my bathroom scale, which isn't very accurate because it says I'm 10 lbs to heavy, which I know just couldn't be right. I stood on the scale, with and without parts and figured the difference to try and make it more accurate for the really light stuff. A stock 67-8 Mustang coupe deck lid was 27.5 lbs. 1/4 panel extensions were 5.5 lbs. My CS deck lid was 27.0 lbs, taillight panel was 5.5 lbs, 1/4 extensions, taillights and scoops were 14.0 lbs for an INCREASE in weight of 13.5 lbs, without the stock taillights figured in. I would guess our cars are about 10 lbs heavier than a standard coupe and while that may cut our ET's by a millisecond, I would sacrifice that for the "look" any day. Hope this helps.
Steve ;D

hookedtrout

[quote author=n.id.steve link=board=1;threadid=816;start=0#msg4594 date=1077868056]
OK, here's the drill. I weighed my parts on my bathroom scale, which isn't very accurate because it says I'm 10 lbs to heavy, which I know just couldn't be right. I stood on the scale, with and without parts and figured the difference to try and make it more accurate for the really light stuff. A stock 67-8 Mustang coupe deck lid was 27.5 lbs. 1/4 panel extensions were 5.5 lbs. My CS deck lid was 27.0 lbs, taillight panel was 5.5 lbs, 1/4 extensions, taillights and scoops were 14.0 lbs for an INCREASE in weight of 13.5 lbs, without the stock taillights figured in. I would guess our cars are about 10 lbs heavier than a standard coupe and while that may cut our ET's by a millisecond, I would sacrifice that for the "look" any day. Hope this helps.
Steve ;D
[/quote]

Now look at that dedication, weighed his parts on the bathroom scale. **Standing and Clapping** ;)

Very interesting, I'm with you, I don't think I'll be getting rid of my GT/CS based on this scientific bathroom finding.

Hook

rjw

The dedication from the members of this forum is amazing!

CJ

According to some experts, one must way themselves in the morning, preferably after a shower. Were these "recommended" steps taken? Only kidding, thanks for the research.

rvrtrash

Not a problem, all the parts were off the car while it's being restored anyway. Once the subject was brought up, I started wondering myself.
Steve:D

Diesel Donna

Steve ;D

Oh my gosh Steve...I just got this incredible "visual" of you and your....parts.
Now according to what I have heard to get an accurate weight..you must have your scale on a hard surfaced floor, not carpeted. I hope you don't have to start all over again.
::::::Note to self::::: take CS to the truck scale this weekend.:grin:

rvrtrash

Gee Donna, I'm really flattered that you're staying up late thinking of my --- parts. :grin:

Mustanglvr

Steve maybe you can borrow a post office scale from someone to weigh your parts. Alot of people have them these days for selling on Ebay and such. It may be more accurate. Or when you get the whole car assembled you could take it to your local scrap iron dealer and ask to weigh it on their scale.

Mosesatm

Bill and I are working on his disassembled car tomorrow. We should be able to weigh his decklid. Maybe a trip to UPS to get a shipping quote.

rvrtrash

Steve maybe you can borrow a post office scale from someone to weigh your parts. Alot of people have them these days for selling on Ebay and such. It may be more accurate. Or when you get the whole car assembled you could take it to your local scrap iron dealer and ask to weigh it on their scale.

Thanks for the idea Rhonda, but the original post is from 3 years ago and my car has been assembled for 2 years now. It's "Miss October" on this years calender. I wish I could take the car to a scale but we just got 3" of fresh snow last night so it's staying up on jack stands in the heated shop. Come on spring!

Steve

di81977

About how heavy are GT/CS' I am curious becuase I have heard 2,300 lbs. all the way to 3,200 lbs. and I cant find it on the net...

Mine weighed in at 2,900 last year during race season. Most drag strips have a weight station.

david

Mustanglvr

Ha! I should have known! I spaced off that old thread. I remember now, when you were weighing your parts Steve, duh.

rvrtrash

The engine and tranny were too heavy for my scale. As for clothes, I won't tell. I'd hate to ruin Donna's visual. :wink:

Steve

nfrntau

Well Arlie and I whipped out our bathroom scales and here is what we found out.
1. Arlies scale is nicer to a person than mine.
2. Deck lid was 26 lbs
3. Tail light housing was 5.5 lbs
4. Tail light assembleys (including bezels and lenses) 10 lbs
5. End caps 4 lbs

Total rear end GT/CS parts 45.5 lbs
Now how much did the steel counterparts weigh again?