• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

A clone

andrewmp6

im new here wanted to say hello to everyone and whats everyone thoughts of a 68 gt/cs clone. right now i have a 68 coupe im thinking of making a some what clone out of it.its not gonna be a true clone just look like one. i love the looks of the gt/cs but prices are to high for me and id hate to mess one up

68gt390

Welcome to the site. As for doing a clone GT/CS, I say go for it. It's your car and your the one who has to drive it so enjoy it. I've always been a firm believer in making my car "mine". The only thing is, be sure you do it correctly and tastefully. We have all seen some pretty shabby CS clones out there.

Don :cool:

rvrtrash

A lot of us here, if not most, would rather see you do a clone of Little Red or the Green Hornet as there was only one of each and the chance of it being presented as original is nil. While you may always tell people it's a clone, some unscrupulous owner in the future might not and that detracts from the original. Besides, the nose on a LR or GH clone is pretty cool. Something to think about. Good luck with your project.

Steve

robert campbell

I made a sorta California Special out of a 1967 six cylinder coupe. Gave it the rear spoiler, but not the tailights. Side scoops and the stripe. Put a spoiler/valance on the front. Then put a 69 hood scoop on it. Of course it had a flat hood. Kinda had the look but not enough to "fool" anyone. Had a 250 cu. in. six, which I put a top loader 4 speed behind. Still ran the four lugs with some slotted mags. Lowered it a couple inches. Silver with black stripes. The 250 six has a lot of beans and it was a blast to drive. Sold it to my brother who enjoyed the crap out of it until his daughter stuffed it in a ditch and bent up the front sub frame. Off it went to part out land. Too bad!!!.

Have a ball and build what you want!!! As the others said be smart and do not mis-represent it. In todays age that could end you up in court!!! Especially with the price of real California Specials!!!

Rob

OP
OP
A

andrewmp6

i seen both shelby coupe prototypes im not a big fan of vynil tops or red or green. my car is already black just need to add the fog lights stripes and hood pins and the tailights. i already got the trunk and the side scoops that are functional

Perkchiro

Sounds to me like you already got your clone. Good luck with it and have fun driving it.

Midnight Special

i seen both shelby coupe prototypes im not a big fan of vynil tops or red or green. my car is already black just need to add the fog lights stripes and hood pins and the tailights. i already got the trunk and the side scoops that are functional

'Hope you enjoy!
Here is my '1967 clone I acquired last year. I'm deliberately leaving the tell-tale '67 fender emblems on, and the hood locks off so there is no ambiguity among experts. The show sign also states "replica" as I never want a reputation for mis-leading anyone...

Members here have ID'ed a number of clones (on ebay et-al) that were being marketed as real. Be proud of your replica for what it is! You'll get all the esteem real CS owners do as long as you don't try to pass it off as real...

Attachments

• IM000903.JPG
    IM000903.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
A

andrewmp6

the shelby ones only parts i see would be fun making are the side stripes say exp500 if you guys can find me some good pictures of them ill think about it.im honest i wont lie i have had people asking me if my car was a shelby because of the trunk on it i always say i wish it was. if you guys havent heard of http://www.cobranda.com/ take a look at them

PFSlim

Tim

I have to say again that I really like you Acapulco Blue clone. I love the color, wheels and stance. Looks great!!

Paul

robert campbell

Andrew,
I have bought many parts from Tony Branda. Great dealer and very high quality parts. Their fibrerglass parts are second to none.

Sounds like a real cool car already!! Would love to see a pic of it! Have you thought about the "Shelby" wide stripes over the hood, roof, and trunk?? Gold or white stripes against your black. I personally like that touch. Tried to get my wife let me do that to our 67 fasback. She didn't want to. I think that would get your car a GT/CS/Shelby vibe that would be very cool!! Just a thought from the peanut gallery.

Rob

OP
OP
A

andrewmp6

no pictures yet its basicly a black car the shelby ******** trunk and side scoops. i got all the fiberglass parts from tony they fit so good i was shocked. right now im thinking of swaping the 351w i have in it for a 460

robert campbell

Andrew,
460 blocks bring with them a lot of challanges. Yet for the determined they can be overcomed. Crites Restorations has alot of parts for this swap. His headers fit well, but they cause ground clearance challanges. If you want a low stance, speed bumps become out of the question. I would certainly go for aluminum heads and intake to reduce weight. You may want to consider front suspension that will allow "trimming" of the shock towers. My favorite is the "Fat Man" conversion which still distrubutes the cars weight to the firewall like the Ford engineers designed the car to have. The Mustang II conversions force all the weight on the subframes.

If I was you I would stroke the crap out of 351. Aluminum parts. With your tall deck, you can go over 400 cubes easily. Better fit and tons of power. Add a power adder such as a paxton or B&M street charger and YAAAAA BAABBBBBEEE. Chevy stomping power!!!

Rob

OP
OP
A

andrewmp6

the 460 if i get a aftermarket block i can go to something like a 806 but i have seen world makes a 460 small block now thats a idea too. i dont like the mustang 2 kits or fat man fabs sturt kit. rrs-online has a better one i just dont like the brakes it uses too small for my taste i just want more power with out cuting up the car to get it. o yeah speaking of the exp500 i found pictures of little red i think its a clone tho http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/67/index.htm scroll down youll see it

P

PNewitt

the 460 if i get a aftermarket block i can go to something like a 806 but i have seen world makes a 460 small block now thats a idea too. i dont like the mustang 2 kits or fat man fabs sturt kit. rrs-online has a better one i just dont like the brakes it uses too small for my taste i just want more power with out cuting up the car to get it. o yeah speaking of the exp500 i found pictures of little red i think its a clone tho http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/67/index.htm scroll down youll see it

A couple of things. The 460 is a VERY, very heavy engine. The (stock) '67-'68 GT-500 Shelbys had a hard time in autocross, or at least in driving from the heavy nose weight of the 428, and the 460 is a lot heavier than that. It's also taller, with a deeper oil pan. I've seen 460s in Cobra kit cars, and wonder "why"?

Also--that much horsepower will be wasted, since the rear end can't do a lot with it. Little Red--with a Paxton-blown 427 would just sit there and spin the tires, if it wasn't breaking the tailhousing or a C-6. Think of the best power-to-weight ratio for this car. Bigger isn't always better. A blown 347 will do just fine, and you'll need more bracing on the driver's seat back from the G-force!!!

IF you go with a complete GT/CS Clone--I would suggest that you do it in a very cool, non-stock color. There are some great Honda or Scion reds, or Chrysler coppers and bronzes. The Ford "tungsten" is great, too, with white stripes. By painting it an obvious non-stock color, you kind of overrun the "clone" scrunity by others, since it visually becomes more of a street rod type of Mustang.

Paul N.