• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Small Block Engine Rebuilding

Russ

I'm getting ready to start the restoration of my "project" GT/CS and will start with the 302 engine. As I was looking for components for the engine rebuild, I came across a catalog that advertised everything needed to rebuild a '68 302 engine for $199.99 with free shipping.

I thought this price was too good to be true, so I called and then ordered the rebuild kit. The kit came today, and boy, it is fantastic!!! The kit contained pistons/pins, piston rings, camshaft, hydraulic lifters, timing gears/chain set, oil pump, main and rod bearings, freeze plugs and a complete gasket set. The kit has name brand items like Federal Mogul, Hastings, etc, so I think the engine will turn out great. Any piston/ring and bearing size can be ordered at no extra charge.

The company is Northern Auto Parts in Sioux City, IA. Phone 1-800-831-0884. Just looking at what I received, I would recommend this kit to anyone.

Hope this helps,
Russ

OP
OP
Russ

Russ

Casey,
They do carry the 289 kit, and it is $253.44. Their website is: northernautoparts.com.

I'm not sure why the difference in price, as nearly everything for the 302 is the same as a 289. Only the crank stroke and rods are different. Hope this helps,
Russ