• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Suspension & Steering

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Is there a website that shows what the different coil spring paint daubs mean?
Mine are white - brownish red - and light blue.

Ruppstang

I do not know of a web site that has the colors but they are listed in the Ford Master Parts catalog. I would just put back what you found.

J_Speegle

You'll find that the white was not part of the identification marks but instead a mark added after that step to identify those springs that measured outside of the expected range. Instead of tossing them Ford workers would match up two of the same springs (in this case with the white stripe) and put them on the same car so to not cause an issue. You should be able to tell that the white paint was applied differently (ones I've had and seen did) than the other two.

No site has posted a complete list of all the different combinations but build sheets are the best resource for this info. MPCs often list replacement part markings rather than original ones and spring marking did sometimes change during a production year so look for examples built around the same time as your car

Don't see any in my buildsheet collect with a blue listed but don't know how your car is equipped. Do have a picture of one for a 68 with a blue stripe but its a service part identified by the part number C8ZZ-5310-C. No second color visible in the picture

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

The colors are actually gray and brown. The white was definitely applied in a different manner. It looks like someone quickly swiped it on in one stroke, top to bottom.

J_Speegle

The colors are actually gray and brown. The white was definitely applied in a different manner. It looks like someone quickly swiped it on in one stroke, top to bottom.

Have 68 buildsheets with those for front springs. Identification stripes were normally applied with the spring upside down or on their side. Runs can look like they run uphill when they are installed