• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 High country special

Can someone tell me the appropriate colors for the badge on the 68 HCS? On one of the pictures I saw on the website, It has a white backgroud and a blue foreground. Another picture I saw on Bob Teets car was black stripes, with a gold background on the decal, and Blue foreground color. Can someone enlighten me on the correct colors and correct format the decal on the sidescoop. Thanks.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
The HCS decal photo in the "Identification" section of this site is from my HCS and is very, VERY faded. That's why it looks white. Bob's is correct, and he's also the one to talk to if you need decals. He's reproduced them using the original print company I believe.

Bob Teets has these decals already. They are OEM.

Scott Williams
'66 HCS

68sunlitgold

mrshelbydallas,
Bob found the printer in Denver that made the original ones for Ford in '68, they still had all the info to make more so Bob ordered some. The are not "NOS" as far as the age but they are made by the original printer to the exact same color/style.
Doug

It appears to me that there is possibly an infringement on the patent of this decal. According to a previous post, the person who did the original decals for Ford is still around. If I were "mrshelbydallas" I would do my homework before I started to manufacturer any FoMoCo parts, especially for sale.

Jayscal

They could be free...
With a "higher than normal" shipping price. :-X

Doesn't sound like "mrshelbydallas" did any homework to me. You may want to contact an attoryney on this on. Especially since you already publicized your endeavor and are getting ready to market a "better product". Perhaps you created a Web page about your Harley Davidson motorycycle trip, or created a craft project using old Hallmark Christmas cards, and you decide to use the Harley Davidson logo or the Hallmark symbol on your Web site to illustrate your content. Can you use the company logos on your Web site or on your craft project?
No. All company names, logos, brands, and symbols are copyrighted by the company or organization. You would need to contact the company, explain how and where you want to use their logo, and ask permission to use the logo.
Simple, well known symbols may also be copyright protected. For example, the red cross symbol of the American Red Cross may not be used in any manner by anyone other than the American National Red Cross and its duly authorized employees and agents and the sanitary and hospital authorities of the armed forces of the United States.
If I draw a simple red cross, add a smiling face, arms and legs may I use this on my Web pages or documents?
No. This would be a copyright infringement and you could face legal procedures.
"PLEASE NOTE: A red cross symbol is not a generic symbol for first-aid, emergency, hospitals, healthcare or medical services, products or personnel. The red cross symbol is a trademark owned by the American Red Cross and protected by federal and state trademark law, unfair competition law and anti-dilution law, and it is also protected by federal criminal law (See 18 U.S.C. 706, 917). The American Red Cross vigorously pursues those who infringe American Red Cross trademarks".
Another example of copyright infringement involves Hallmark cards. Perhaps you found a lovely flower arrangement and butterfly picture on a Hallmark card you received for your birthday. You decide to scan the front of the card, use a graphics program to remove the butterfly, then use the flower arrangement to create a beautiful Web page border background. Can you do this?
No. The lovely flower arrangement was created by an artist and belongs to Hallmark. Although you have "changed" the image by removing a part of that picture, you are using art created by someone other than you without permission.
There is a rumor (or myth) that if you change one part (or one line) of a piece of art work (painting, clip art, etc.), that the art work is now a "new creation" and you may use it in any manner you choose. Is this true?
No. The original artist of a painting does have the right to change a painting in some manner to create a new original painting. This does not mean that anyone else has the right to change a painting (or a piece of clip art) in any way (recolor it, animate it, use only a portion of it, etc.) and claim it as your own painting or clip art.
Copyright laws for created content, such as company logos, music, art, stories, clip art, etc., apply to every media, including cyberspace.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=1;threadid=619;start=0#msg3317 date=1065296312]
And if the owner of the copyright is still alive, or the company is still in business(heresay) I'll be happy to talk with them.[/quote]
The company would be Ford, so yes they are obviously still in business. The print company that produced the decals for Ford was just a contractor hired by Ford. But Ford would be the owner of the copyright since they put it on their vehicles.

My understanding from talking to people like Paul Newitt and Kevin Marti (who have had many dealings with Ford corporate office) is that Ford takes their copyrights seriously. That's why companies selling Ford logo products have to pay Ford for that use. You'll see "Official Liscensed Product" shown on web sites selling items with Ford logos on them. I would think the HCS decal would qualify as a Ford logo.

Now whether copyrights expire after 35 years of non-use I can't say. It's possible, but if I were selling a product that had a Ford logo I would certainly find out to cover myself.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Also, mrshelbydallas if you offer these for sale be sure you place that info in the "Classifieds" forum rather than continuing this post here in the main forums.

Thanks!

Some people just don't like to follow the rules when told what to do.

I just read all of this.....

As far as I know, the Denver Area Ford Dealers Association made these decals for the HCS, since the Los Angeles district sold these cars to them, with a 51 DSO, and solid stripes on the scoops, so the local folks could slap on these shields.

I don't think anyone in Denver will give a hoot about these being copyrighted. If these is a big enough "stink", and Ford legal catches wind of this, they'll stop the copying of this, but this isn't so much a legal issue as an ethical one.

Bob Teets went to a lot of trouble many years ago to chase down these decals for you, the HCS enthusiast. He was good enough to NOT take anyone on the price of these, too. Bob is part of a good group of Mustangers that want to see people enjoy their HCS and GT/CS, just as I've put in thousands of hours on my book, and offered many parts to folks around the country.

Perhaps someone could post Bob's address, and the price of these shield decals made by the OEM manufacturer, and those interested can get those--if they so choose. I would only accept his (sourced) shield decals as "concours".

I personally think that anyone making a reproduction part should be careful in it's production and promotion, because Mustangers are a close-knit family, and they pretty much are loyal to those who do things with respect to FORD, and to the buyers/restorers of these parts.

Paul M. Newitt

If you are "dedicated" in making all of these parts, I suggest that you apply for a FORD license to do so.

Your message gives the impression that you are promoting that people make replica GT/CS and HCS, Ski Country, etc...?? SAAC has seen a lot of this, and it's been a real problem with the Shelbys.. I wouldn't present this as doing anyone (enthusiasts) a favor, since there is no gold mine in these parts, as I made and offered the Lucas pedistals, scoop screens and backing, grille brackets, grille paint, etc..etc... and I never got rich from it. I made these items several years ago as part of helping owners out. I also have propietary information on the specs, colors and info on how these parts were made.

Branda and others already make these items anyway, and he DOES have, and has paid for a Ford license to do so. With that in mind, he could legally respond to anyone else making these items.

If the OEM maker of the HCS decals are still making them, I would consider them as the ONLY original part--and the only concours part, too. I provide the judging rules for the '68 HCS (along with Bob Teets), and if the originals are still available, it goes without saying which is truly concours (you can ask MCA or SAAC the same question if you disagree). Computer matching can't guarantee the right color ink match, graphic design, or the process of the way these are made in Colorado. I think owners are already keen on where to get these items, and they will look for Bob's originals. Besides, they are not a hot item for the work involved in making them.

That is the reality of the situation.

If your decals are in "3-D" vinyl, then they'll be real easy to spot at a car show, or anywhere else as a repop. Bob's are silkkscreened and perfectly flat. I think people will know, and they won't have to be a judge.

Promoting making repro GT/CS and HCS cars, I think is not a good idea. I'm all for personal mods, even making a 'Lil Red is fun, but if anyone were to pass off a stock '67 or '68 coupe as a "genuine" GT/CS or HCS is bordering on fraud. All a buyer has to do is get a Marti Report and it's all there in print.

I purposely left out something(s) in my books to help prevent a 100% fake.

PMN

admin

Staff member
Administrator
[quote author=mrshelbydallas link=board=3;threadid=619;start=15#msg3364 date=1065583757]
Thanks for the info Mr. Teets
[/quote] Is this just a typo twice in two posts or do you honestly think Mr. Teets is posing at Mr. Newitt? ::)

Mr. ShelbyDallasGuy....

I haven't seen a reason to make this type of comment on these boards, because I've been very impressed with the civility and respect from the members--up to this point.

What I've noticed on this thread is a defiant attitude from you, and a blind eye to respecting the hard work by Bob Teets, Myself, and the webmaster of this website. Either you're totally pulling our legs with your plans to make repro parts, or you're more interested in taking the spotlight from those who have earned it from many years of hard work.

There is no "elitist" attitude in making parts for Mustangs, and other classic cars, but there is an underlying "code" of respect and regard for anyone else that makes the same thing. Every part that you mention, including your stripe kits, and your all-so-wonderful HCS shield decal, is already available; and there is no need to make it.

I can't see anyone that has read your responses willing to jump at your products, just because you tout them as "perfect", no matter what. Your attitude only hurts your image here, and I've heard from others on this thread about this. If you're this ambitious to do things with your $70K computer, you should go after doing something no one else has made.....???

Some humility would go pretty far, and I don't like seeing this type of attitude of defiance and disrespect here--on a very good website, for people that like having fun with their HCS or GT/CS. There is no room for it.

I didn't work so hard on the registry and the books to reach this type of sophomoric conflict, and I'll protect my and Bob's and anyone else's interest to keep the GT/CS hobby fun and not tainted by this common type of internet contamination.

We're here to have fun, and to share information on an even keel. Outsiders that want to make a splash and an instant name aren't welcome. You'll find that outside of this site, that Mustangers aren't too happy with upstarts that want to dominate the spotlight.

I also wish to suggest that those "kits" you propose to make a "perfect" GT/CS clone are a very bad idea, and they would only hurt those with authentic cars.

PMN
GT/CS Registrar.

p.s. since you chastized others with their names, you never revealed yours...

hookedtrout

I believe that the more mustangs out their that aren't authenic, that just makes the authentic ones all the more valuable.

I've been reading this thread and trying to stay out of it but this statement I find very disturbing. Value is based on rarity and difficulty in putting your hands on it. If there was a "perfect" clone GT/CS on every street corner that could not be distinguished from the real GT/CS how much value would the there be in a real one? Very little based on the fact that everyone could have one real or not. I love my True GT/CS for my own personal reasons and really have no intent on ever selling it so value has no interest to me at all but this statement is as far from right as you can get it is dead wrong and backwards.

Cory Goulding

If someone takes a '68 390 Coupe and adds GT/CS parts to it, and it's got a 72 DSO, and built after April---and it's for sale at some "exotics" dealer outside of Calif....and it sells for $25K, then how are you going to feel if you own the same car, and it's real? How will you feel if someone makes a GT/CS convertible and they say it is "original", and it sells for $20K? (BTW--they never made those).

It's not the making of a fake--it's the misrepresentation of selling it. It still happens with fake Shelbys. Buyer beware. When buying a GT/CS get the seller to sign a statement that states that it IS an authentic GT/CS. That way, you have some legal recourse.

Always get a Marti report when buying any Mustang of limited edition, or rarity. Lots and lots of fakes out there.

That's why I wrote those books, to set a standard.

Paul.

cmacias24

Hey guys my name is Cesar and I really don't post much on this website because usually I lean off it and then apply it on my GT/CS. Through this website I not only purchased my GT/CS but have been informed on how to spot a real GT/CS. Although my car does not have it's vinyl top i can't find words t explain the way I feel everytime I people stop to to tell me how nice my car is and what kind of Mustatng t is. The truth is not the fact that there are so few GT/CS's out there make our cars even more valuable and a wise investment. No matter how much time and money we pump in our cars we know that when it comes time to sell it, we know the money will come. That's not the point. Througout the past 2 yrs I have begun the restoration of my car and as you can see in the gallery pg 2 I have been through quite some challanges. Apart from that the parts I have purchased to make my car complete have cost me plenty and I feell that they have been worth very penny. Why? Because my car is rare and not everyone can have what I have. The fact that you are planning to sale parts for these cars for the purposes that you have stated is not only selfish but will hurt our hobby in general. Why? Well becasue the cost of restoring a car like our s will be lees that it was before and over all will drop the value. Are things over priced? Of course they are but you know what? It just makes them more valuable. That's good that you have good quality and exact/perfect products, but i think we all get the point. We own something unique that a lot of people desire and with your idea you would like to share that with everyone, and to tell you the truth, not everyone is as educated on cars as we are. Also, the people on this website Paul, admin, etc, etc... have been here a long time for a reason, and thanks to them they have helped a lot of us discover these cars and really admire them. It's sad to see you disrespect them like if you were a little child throwing a fit. I think we are all adult here and we should respect eachother and other people's views. Sir, and I mean it with the upmost respect, i know that you are going to do wat you are going to do and nothing we discuss here will change your mind, but please don't come here and contaminate this website with such negativity. This will be the last time I post here on this website so don't expect a reply. I just wanted to share my thoughts. :-[
Cesar